308 wobbly steering wheel...sometimes | FerrariChat

308 wobbly steering wheel...sometimes

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by pollockfr, Oct 26, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pollockfr

pollockfr Rookie

Oct 25, 2005
    Warwickshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Fergus Pollock
    I have a problem with my 308 which I hope you can help me with.I get at times what can only be described as a continuous wobble at the steering wheel. I've had the suspension geometry checked optically and its within tolerance - ish.The tyres have zero run out when spun and I've had them balanced twice all to no avail.The steering rack has been checked and passed as being in fine shape.The issue with this is that sometimes the wobble isn't there at all and everything is smooth and lovely and you begin to think you've gone mad, and then another time its really pronounced and no amount of gripping the wheel will make it stop.It also doesn't appear to be speed dependant.I've noticed the steering column on these cars is in itself not especially stiffly mounted and can be moved a bit and that theres a few thou movement in the top roller bearing which may be contributary.Not knowing how to test front shock absorbers on the car my next action was to replace the front shocks in the hope it might fix it- but if any of you have any good ideas I'd really appreciate it.

2. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    what wheels are you running? aftermarket superperformance 16 inch wheels wobbled on my car until i got the wheel hub shims.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Welcome!

Worn steering rack bushings...(not mounting biushings but the ones within the rack itself).

Search for thread, on do it yourself rebuild, or they are available rebuilt to 'bolt on'......

4. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I agree CONSTANT wobble or vibration could be wheel tire combo, but the worn rack symptoms come and go, usually at higher freeway speeds.

It causes the steering wheel to go left/right about 1/4" - 1/2" or so.....?????

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #5 Steve Magnusson, Oct 26, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Welcome to FChat (just another "problem" 1st post ;))

Sounds like you've already done a lot of careful looking at the wheel & tire geometries and mass properties (which is good) -- a few questions to start with:

Have you noticed if the problem is more likely to occur when the tires are cold and a little out-of-round from sitting overnight?

Does it occur only when going straight? Ever had it occur while rounding a curve?

When you say the steering rack is in good shape are you including the steering column components? -- any "play" in the system would give the same symptom as worn rack bushings (if those aren't the culprit). If the u-joints are in good shape and tightly-mounted, you should still check the "squeeze joint" at the input to the steering rack held by bolt #8 (I still think that bolt #8 is one size too small).

It's also a good idea to check that nut #24 is tight -- it needs to be loosened to make the "tilt" adjustment, but should be tightened afterwards to stiffen up the whole assembly.

Just some additional ideas -- good luck with the hunt...

PS 1) Please add or give a more complete year/model(B,S,4?)/version description of your "308" -- either in the Post or in your Profile. 2) Can you disclose which continent you're on, or is that too personal? ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. pollockfr

pollockfr Rookie

Oct 25, 2005
    Warwickshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Fergus Pollock
    The wheels are 16" Speedlines,but you can put a clock on the rim and spin it and there's no run out either there or at the tyre.The tyre shop suggested I buy new tyres - well they would wouldn't they? but theres no evidence to suggest the problem lies there.Its the inconsistency of the wobble that puzzles me.I somehow expect mechanical ailments to be repeatable given the same conditions.Actually Mr Tex the Ferrari man I use diagnosed rack bushes without even seeing the car - I guess it must be a common problem.I'll check it out.

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    "tyres" Steve, me thinks UK! ;)

Well, your tech is using our deductive logic, as well...

308 = 20+ years = worn out stuff.....LOL!

91tr has given some excellent alternatives to check though, before going to the rack itself......

8. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    New tyres sorted it for me, a few years ago mind.
    When you say steering geometry, did you have track, toe, castor and camber on both front and rear laser checked ?
    Once again ... start with the simplest and cheapest first.
    cheers, from the land of no speed limits !

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Dave S your PM box is full! ;)

Or it was, the other day.....

10. pollockfr

pollockfr Rookie

Oct 25, 2005
    Warwickshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Fergus Pollock
    Well chaps this is brilliant.I never expected such a full and overwhelming response so thanks to you all.What you've said will keep me busy for ages. And yes the car was lazer checked,I have the printout somewhere.I don't believe the tyres are flat spotted - they all seem extremely round and after 100 miles or so the wobble is still there.Not sure about corners I always go very slowly whenever I see a curve.

11. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    That's TERRIBLE for a Ferrari driver!!! :) You definitely want to get your steering sorted out and fixed.

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    On my Ferrari, turning the rack to one side or the other would actually make the wobble stop...only did it when travelling straight, in unloaded condition...

13. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    How old are the tires? If they are flat spotted a bit from age/whatever, the steering may wobble when they are in one relative position to each other and not with a different position. If your tires are over 5 years old, treat yourself to new ones. You'll also find the handling vastly improved even if the wobble is something else.

Ken

14. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    I had the same just after purchasing the car.
    Reason was a seized brake caliper which caused the brake disk to warp while heating up.
    After cooling down everything was smooth again. Driving a while the wobbling came back.
    Sorry, but the only thing which helped in my case was rebuilding the front calipers and a pair of new brake discs front.

Best Regards

Martin

15. walawdog

walawdog Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2004
    Bluefield, WV
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I had some work done on my car and when they put the wheels back on, violla, wheel shake. I thought maybe a wheel weight had been knocked loose during the work, but when I went to have them balanced, the shop guys told me that I was missing some rings that would center my wheels and that it was more than likely the cause of the shake. Like you, the shake only comes on in a straight line, but mine always occurs at around 55 mph. This, of course, forces me to drive faster, to get rid of the shake. I bet it has something to do with your wheel and how it's mounted to your car.

16. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    You might want to check your wheel bearings (if not done already) as this can add a lot of variables into the mix if they are worn or have excessive play - this can make it tough to align the car properly. Check for play and if you suspect some wear then disassemble and look for blueing of the race and bearings as this indicated heat build up and implies poor running performance.

17. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I am having the same problem wtih my spare HRE wheels, however with my QV wheels it was fine. I bought new Bridgestone S-02 tires and the fronts were so out of round I put on my used set and it is still doing it. Mainly in a straight line and on real smooth surfaces at any speed it is as smooth as glass???? Not sure what is up but it is disconcerting. I checked the bearings and the rack and both had about only 1/16" free play which I assume to be OK???

ROB

18. pollockfr

pollockfr Rookie

Oct 25, 2005
    Warwickshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Fergus Pollock
    Took the car out yesterday - and yes I do have a snatching caliper. The osf wheel was was way too hot so I'll be rebuilding the calipers this week. At the same time I'll run a check on all the other points mentioned, so thanks everyone.
    Ferg

19. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    I'm glad I could point you in the right direction :)
    I hope, that your brake rotors are still o.k. They were not in my case, but you can try it after you have rebuilt your calipers. If the wobbling comes back with hard braking, the discs are also due.
    In my case the constant overheating of the sticky driver's side front caliper had damaged the rotor so much, that the disc warping and wobbling came back while braking hard from high speed.

Best Regards from Germany

Martin

20. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    It was rear wheel, not front but acted like bad balance and disk got hot. Would come and go. Rebuilt calipers to no avail. It was the brake hose. 30 year old rubber had disingegrated on hose ID and was plugging the bore. Plenty of oil pressure to apply brakes but no way they would release quickly. After 10 minutes pad would move back so when you jacked and checked, all was OK.

Calipers might be just fine. Remove hose at caliper and try running a smooth steel rod down the bore. If it goes easy, fine. I could not go more than an inch.

Good Luck,

John

21. pollockfr

pollockfr Rookie

Oct 25, 2005
    Warwickshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Fergus Pollock
    That's a good call John. I've had a look at the caliper and it seems to be OK. From previous records the caliper was rebuilt by a previous owner 2000 miles ago anyway. So it seems the hose is the problem. Unfortunately the copper brake pipe refuses to undo regardless of how much persuasion I apply. Great joy.