308 won’t start. | FerrariChat

308 won’t start.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by GTS Justin, Mar 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GTS Justin

GTS Justin Rookie

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Justin Wilhoit
    Have 85 308 qv. won’t start. It smells flooded. Usually start it every week. Had it over 10 years and haven’t driven out of garage. It has 71k miles. Does it need plugs changed? Witch do I use.

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You have not driven it out of the garage for 10 years and you started it every week? I bet money on a set of fouled plugs...

3. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Hard to diagnose with the limited description. Is it turning over just not firing? Is it starting and then stumbling? Is it just clicking? Is it doing nothing at all?

Could be any myriad of issues, starter, battery, bad fuel if it's been sitting for 10 years, warm up regulator, fouled plugs, loose or bad ground......and on and on.

If you really did mean to say that you just start it up in the garage every week for the last 10 years, why didn't you take it out for a drive now and then? If you do get it running take it out and give it an Italian tune-up!! :) It'll run much better with regular use.

4. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael
    that has been wrong for ten years :cool:

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    At a minimum, you also need move the coachwork at least a few feet forward and back every so often -- about 1/2 of the (steel) gearbox and diff components are not submerged in the gearbox oil and the exposed 1/2 will rust if not rotated to coat them in oil.

ME308 and brian.s like this.
  6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I once opened up a gearbox that sat around for 10 years and found no rust.... so perhaps in dry California this is not always the case. But, moving it and driving it is always better than not.

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Certainly -- would depend heavily on whether, or not, the storage situation results in internal condensation, but better to be safer than sorry (10 years without actual use, nor fluid changes, isn't good no matter how you slice it).

8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    justin..... spark + fuel = stink You are missing one

9. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I had similar problem, found some wiring harness chewed my mouse, the car cranks or turn over but no start.

10. GTS Justin

GTS Justin Rookie

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Justin Wilhoit
    Yes it turns over fine. Has a Kinetic battery on a trickle charger, Mobil 1 15w-50 with Lucas oil stabilization addictive. Used new copper crush ring. Unfortunately I work on oil pipeline. I’m away for 6 months at a time. It’s in a climate controlled garage, but the floor does get moist in spring. (Hand brake cable needs oiled). I bought the oem NGK plugs. Will change. 71k miles. Don’t know if they have ever been changed.

11. Braintreebesttaxi

Feb 3, 2017
    Hingham Massachusett
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Fuse were there should be a glove box should be bang it hard with closed hand twice,if nothing chech the fuses

12. GTS Justin

GTS Justin Rookie

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Justin Wilhoit
    Thank for all replies. I bought the oem plugs from a list of parts on this forum. Bought it in 2009, driven it around my yard a couple times. Had a coolant leak under plenum. Took apart, recoated main plenum, polished runners, installed new gaskets, fixed leak with various hoses, installed new thermostat, lubricated throttle cable, changed oil, new engine cover shocks and pins, just got it running again this summer. 2017. Next (if I get it running again) new gear box oil, cat removal. Work out of state.

13. GTS Justin

GTS Justin Rookie

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Justin Wilhoit
    There is some clicking coming from the relay area.

14. GTS Justin

GTS Justin Rookie

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Justin Wilhoit
    changed easy plugs with NGK bp7es. It had Bosch plat wr7dp. They were black and one under the air intake tube was not tight. There was also gas in the metal tube of the air intake.

15. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    That may be a failed (leaking) fuel distributor --- which would account for your "no start" condition.

16. GTS Justin

GTS Justin Rookie

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Justin Wilhoit
    There was quite a bit of gas right below the distributor. Had the injectors, plenum, lines off for a few years. Had a rag covering the fuel distributor. The rebuild kit is about $90 on eBay. Good price? Also switching out plugs with oem. Had Bosch platinum installed.

17. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    fresh gas?

18. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    So lets start with basics - doubt it has anything to do with the actual gas being bad... if you had clogged injectors you would not have heavy gas smell.

with the key on - un plug the blue connector at the fuel distributor - you should hear a very loud buzzing noise. if you don't - that is the first issue to track - the fuel pump protection circuit. usually its the relay in the trunk - on the right side of the car. or fuel pump fuse or connector behind the fuse block
    if its buzzing, then you are getting fuel. - be careful if you have pumped the engine full of gas - two thing happen. 1. you dilute the oil. 2. you wash down the compression - oil seal between the rings and wall of the cylinders. you will need to put some oil in each cylinder with the SPARK PLUGS OUT and rotate the engine - to get compression back. Pull the dip stick and smell for gas in the oil. if its really strong - change the oil. first.

If you are getting fuel, then turn your attention to spark. check the distributer for cracks in the cap, and then check coil wires ( with battery disconnected ) and then finally check your wires and extenders. if that is ok then:

Likely culprit is either a failing fuel accumulator diaphragm, or start valve

Most likely it will be conenctions between relays and fuse panel. Usually 95% its an electric issue. check the fuse box, and also check the connectors behind the fuse box by pulling the box out and down. you can check relays by swapping with one of the other ones to see if that is the issue.

rarely is it the actual Bosch fuel distributor or plunger plate. - don't go immediately to the CO setting screw.

19. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    Mine did this same thing it was the fuel accumulator

20. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Guys, it's not just the "no start" problem ---- He's also got fuel leaking into the upper end of the intake system....... about the only way that can happen on a CIS car is either the cold start injector <or> the fuel distributor is leaking badly.