308FI Euro exhaust vs US with smog devices | FerrariChat

308FI Euro exhaust vs US with smog devices

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by pnorman, Jun 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pnorman

pnorman Rookie

Dec 30, 2003
    If the Euro 308FI Ferrari's don't have catalytic converters or smog equipment, how do they get around the exhaust odor that is produced without such controls?

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Do they? What makes you think a "euro" 308FI sans cats would be any different than a "US" 308FI sans cats?

3. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Steve, as i recall the Euro has higher compression (9.2:1 versus USA 8.8:1) and also the Euro has larger headers (i think) to name a few things. Still.. would this make a drastic difference if both a Euro and US were in proper tune? i think not by much.

4. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    The exhaust odor is indicative of too rich a mixture, is NOT characteristic of properly adjusted cars w/o cats.

Many people who remove cats don't properly adjust the mixture &/or fake out the ECU. The result is the ECU goes into 'limp home' mode & runs rich. In the case of the injected 308s, it is usually a mixture adjustment.

5. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Can't agree with your logic here Verell -- neither K-Jet or K-Jet with Lambda are smart enough to have a "limp-home" mode. Would agree that on a mal-adjusted (open-loop) K-Jet removing the cat(s) would seem more significant odor-wise, but I still don't see why Euro vs. US would affect the smell difference for with or without cats.
    The A/F ratio on a (working ;), closed-loop) K-Jet with Lambda should be OK warm almost regardless of the static tweak-up (and unchanged whether cat or cat-less) so bad static adjustment isn't a factor for those.
    JMOs.

6. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I didn't say a 308 had limp-home mode, just made a general statement. Should have broken the paragraph up tho.

That's what I was trying to say, the A/F ration is right it won't stink whether or not there's a cat. An exception may be a non-cat car will smell slightly during cold start conditions when it's running rich. While the cats will eat the slight richness.

7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Understood Verell -- but you've got to let me know when you expand the topic ;) (the original post was 308 fuel-injected specific)

8. pnorman

pnorman Rookie

Dec 30, 2003
    I 've read posts that state that U S Ferrari's without cats always have an unpleasant odor. So, it's just a mixture adjustment if you don't have lambda? Also, should you leave the air pump running so it injects air in the exhaust manifolds? Would that help with the combustion?

9. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Actually, the Lambda sensor loop should help keep the mixture where you want it.

Search the archives, there are several threads going into some depth about why you need to remove the air injection system components & plug the holes.