308GT4 Alternator | FerrariChat

308GT4 Alternator

Discussion in '308/328' started by marankie, Feb 13, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. marankie

marankie Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2004
    Agoura Hills, Calif
    Full Name:
    Martin
    The alternator indication light is starting to stay on longer just after start-up, so I am thinking it will need attention before too long.
    But Ferrari did not make alternators. Bosch does. Does anybody know what other car (brand model year) uses the same as the alternator in my '75 308 Gt4? Thanks,
    Martin

2. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Check the belt tension first......

3. Engineer

Engineer Karting

Dec 22, 2004
    It's been eleven years ago, but I took the GT4 alternator to Advance Auto parts and they matched it from the Bosch part number on the alternator. Got rebuilt unit for reasonable price. Good luck

4. reelees

reelees Karting

Aug 28, 2008
    Eagle lake, Florida
    Full Name:
    Cassius Rees
    I would check the belt first. there are places that will rebuild yours. I had mine rebuilt for about $120

5. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    1980 Fiat Spider. I did it and it was exactly the same. Need to move your pulley to the new alternator.

6. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Exactly what Brian said.I had mine rebuilt a few years ago and the guy told me it was from a Fiat.I agreed as they do own Ferrari.Cost me $120 from memory

7. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #7 robertgarven, Feb 14, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
    I got mine from Ferrari UK. They have a big ad in the new Forza, Id call recambi first to see the price.

8. 78-308gt4

78-308gt4 Formula Junior

May 22, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Yep, you can find them at places like O'Reilly Auto Parts with a lifetime warranty. 65 amp though instead of the original 55 amp.
    Mine was closer to $60.00.

9. GavC

GavC Formula Junior

May 9, 2004
    Lincolnshire, Englan
    Full Name:
    Gavin Culshaw
    its probbally the rectifier going. But check belt tension and earthing. Its a bosch unit so should be able to rebuild quite cheapely. I am in the same position as you, but its not effecting thing to much yet so will probally do mine later in year. I have access to all Iveco products inc bosch alternators so when i get bored at work i am going t have alook if there isa more modern alternative.