308GT4 ISSUE | FerrariChat

308GT4 ISSUE

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by GANDY, Oct 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GANDY

GANDY Rookie

Jul 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    PETER GANDY
    Hello All,
    Looking for help, battery failed last week, bought a new one [ not a Varta that was on before ] , but a
    cheaper alternative. Car ran okay until putting her away in the garage, ticking from a relay and the rev counter
    going crazy, car then died. Nothing working, no ignition nothing. Looked later and the clock is working but no
    ignition, Any ideas ? Could it be i bought the wrong battery eg a cheap one rather than a Varta ?

2. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Is the battery charging? Alternator? Loose ground? Why buy a cheap battery anyway?

3. phil99

phil99 Rookie

Feb 26, 2015
    Wellington, NZ
    Full Name:
    Phil S.
    Check the battery connections- maybe one is loose. Good luck! Phil

4. GANDY

GANDY Rookie

Jul 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    PETER GANDY
    All sorted, managed to buy the same type of Varta, fitted and all is ok, this will teach me not to buy cheaper !!!!!
    My mechanic tested the cheap battery against the Varta, [ the cheap one is to the same spec as the Varta allegedly !!!! ] and found it produced roughly half the power !!!!

5. GANDY

GANDY Rookie

Jul 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    PETER GANDY
    The plot thickens !!!!!!! still have a problem, started ok, outside for a last wash and brush up before winter, tried to re-start, no ignition and clicking from relay,
    after much swearing etc, eventually started, anyone any idea,s ? dodgy relay / starter motor issue ?

6. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
  7. Mike Florio

Mike Florio Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    NW Rural Nevada
    Full Name:
    Mike Florio
    Remove, clean and re-tighten the fat cable connector on the starter. The B+ cable from the battery goes all the way back to the starter where another big cable brings current back up front to the fuses and relays. The 'click' usually means there is enough of a connection to pull the solenoid, but not enough to spin the starte.

8. GANDY

GANDY Rookie

Jul 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    PETER GANDY
    Thank you, does the fact that when i turn the key there is no ignition light and no starter tie in with your thoughts above ? She did start after a bit of juggling with the relays [ no clicking ]. Would it be beneficial if i bought some new relays as they look as though they have been in situ since 1979 !!!!

9. Mike Florio

Mike Florio Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    NW Rural Nevada
    Full Name:
    Mike Florio
    Hard to diagnose without seeing it, but IMHO the simplest and easiest to check is usually the best place to start. Like I said the B+ (positive) cable from the battery goes directly to the starter, then a cable from the starter goes to the rest of the power distribution in the chassis. So you can consider the starter lug to be the same as the B+ (positive) post on the battery. If that connection is loose, dirty or not making contact for some reason all the electrical systems are suspect. I wouldn't even bother messing with the relays until I had checked and verified that starter connection.

thorn likes this.
  10. GANDY

GANDY Rookie

Jul 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    PETER GANDY
    Thanks Mike, that,s really helpful, i will try it at the weekend and let you know, much appreciated.