308QV Overbore, 1983, European Model | FerrariChat

308QV Overbore, 1983, European Model

Discussion in '308/328' started by jdjagguy, Mar 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jdjagguy

jdjagguy Karting

Sep 11, 2007
    Enid Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Richard Crump
    After scouring the planet for one, euro-spec 9.2, piston, I have come to the conclusion that I may as well replace the set with modern pistons and have the nicosil liners refurbished. My question to the group is whether they would stay with the 81mm bore, or enlarge it. If enlarged, how far. I notice one site has a set of 85mm pistons available. The ideal of a slightly larger bore appeals to me but I would like to retain the stock CIS and ignition systems. If anyone out there has considered, or tried this I would like to hear your thoughts on the matter.
    Thanks, RC

2. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Just raising the CR (11:1 or so) will give a useful hp increase. Scott (smg2) has a lot of experience with this.

3. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Me personally? I would bore it and get more displacement if I was already messing with the liners. How far would I go? As far as I can. At the very least using 328 liners should be pretty easy and that's obviously well proven.

(I don't actually have any numbers for you.)

4. jdjagguy

jdjagguy Karting

Sep 11, 2007
    Enid Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Richard Crump
    Any reason not to just bore the original liners to 83mm with new nicosil? Is 85mm safe?
    Thanks
    Richard C

5. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
  6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #6 Rifledriver, Mar 3, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    On my 328 I bored it to 85mm. That was the thinnest wall Ferrari used with alloy cylinders so I knew we wouldnt have distortion problems.

I went with Wiseco 11:1 pistons.

I also stroked it so it wound up a 3.55 Liters and used Crower rods.I kept the CIS and Marelli ignition. I run the most advanced ignition setting available in the Marelli box and have zero detonation issues with pump gas. Your Dinoplexs do not have different advance setting built into the box the way Microplex does.

At 85 mm there are off the shelf head gaskets too.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

GordonC, 308 milano and thorn like this.