308QV Starter Switch | FerrariChat

308QV Starter Switch

Discussion in '308/328' started by BrockBenson, Sep 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BrockBenson

BrockBenson Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2018
    Australia
    Hi All,

My '84 308QV has been suffering from a progressively worsening starting issue. After some searching on the forums I found this old post of the same issue.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/308qv-ignition-switch.166398/

Like the above post every second or third start the starter fails to turn over. All I get is a clicking from the relay box area. I have checked the following:

1. battery condition and charge (Optima battery with plenty of charge)
    2. removed and cleaned the terminals on the battery, the starter, the ground straps
    3. checked the connections and grounds on the fuse box and relays

Following Steve Magnusson's advise from the old post (#4), I pulled relay "F" and measured the voltage at 85/86 while holding the ignition on start. It was open circuit when the starter clicks (no start) and around +12v when the starter turns and starts the engine.

I am pretty sure the issue is the ignition switch (not to be confused with the key steering lock). From under the dash one terminal looks dark/burnt. Has anyone replaced this switch? What is involved? Can it be done from below the dash as it seems to be only two screws holding it in place?

I found this replacement from Superformance UK. Has anyone used one of these?

Thanks in advance. BB

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    You want one of these which has Bosch or SWF “Made in Germany”, only.
    The ones with no Made in Germany cast into the plastic ric are cheap Chinese repros.

Martin308GTB likes this.
  3. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Yes, it can be replaced under the dash. Just note the colored wires to the terminals per you owners manual electrical schematic.
    Make sure you fix the loose connection at the terminal. Loose connections get hot.

4. BrockBenson

Oct 18, 2018
    Australia
    Thanks Paul.

5. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    The same switch was used in the old xx02-BMWs. If one‘s lucky one can source a NOS-part within the BMW classics orbit.
    But unfortunately the dealers meanwhile noticed how rare these have become and adjusted the price accordingly.

Best from Germany
    Martin

6. Freddie328

Freddie328 Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    If you've got an immobilizer fitted It would be worth checking that's not the source of your issue. A while back I had a similar problem, which turned out to be this. There was a big voltage drop through the immobilizer starter solenoid circuit..

7. BrockBenson

Oct 18, 2018
    Australia
    Thanks. But I don't have an immobiliser fitted.