308's | FerrariChat

308's

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Ernie Taylor, Nov 12, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ernie Taylor

Ernie Taylor Rookie

Nov 12, 2003
    I've been told that the 308 motor is good for about 30,000 miles and then it's rebuild time. I've been looking to get one of these but the 30,000 mile rebuild has me concerned. How about some positive stories?Is a leakdown test a must before purchasing? Appreciate any helpfull information!

2. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Valve guides are a little weak, but other than that, they should last a very long time with a little TLC. Bottom end is totally bullet-proof. Guys are running 600hp turbo setups with no bottom end mods.

However, at some point, you will probably have to remove the heads. Mine are almost 30 years old, and I'm not burning oil. Maybe someday.....

Contact me offline if you want to discuss 308 ownership in detail.

3. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    308 engines are considered nearly bulletproof! As stated, valve work will be needed at some point, but the lower ends are very heftily built. I have 40k miles on my '85 308 and , in spite of a couple of minor oil leaks, I add less than a pint of oil between 3k oil changes.

I do believe that compression and leakdown testing should be done before a purchase of any high-priced car.

4. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    One other thig--in order to allay any anxiety about the reliability/longevity of 308 engines, call some Ferrari mechanics for input. A lot of mechanics , who've never even seen a Ferrari, throw around a lot of stories.

5. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Just to echo the other posts, 308 engines are very good. Service is due at 30K or 5 years, and must be done. Other than that you shouldn't have a problem.

6. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    I can put this to rest. I have 112K miles on my 308.

7. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    Ditto, I have about 56,000 + no problem. Saw one at Moroso with
    110,000 so relax.

8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    The rebuilds are most probably due to one or both of the following:
    a. The 2V inj motors factory-problem with oil consumption
    b. Just sitting in the garage for 15+ years

Other then "a" above, or simple neglect, there is absolutely NO unique-to-Ferrari-only reason a Ferrari 308 engine needs to be rebuilt at 30K miles. Even the 2V injected motors don't "need" a rebuild if it is one of the oil burners and not all of them were. Some were rebuilt under warrenty and even they weren't fixed correctly (again this was the factory's fault, not the dealers)

My 308 QV has over 90K. Lots of those miles are hard track driving. I bought it with 57K and she had 4 other owners over 13 years. At least one of them tracked it a lot too. I have a big fat folder of service receipts going back to when it was delivered new to the dealer back in April of 84 but how much is missing? I am sure not every oil change is in there even if it was done by the book (probably not). It still runs as strong as ever.

My point is a 308 engine is a "regular" engine. Anyone who tells you they all need rebuilding at 30K does not know what he is talking about.

Relax, find a good one and buy it.

9. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    The 308 is going to need service at 30k, not a rebuild...
    Most engines will go well over 100k.
    Like the others have said, the bottom end is pretty much bullet proof, with the top end needing valve seals and guides at around 60k.

10. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Be aware that the early 2V engines had sodium filled exhaust valves. If you are opening it up, I'd replace the exhaust valves with solid ones. I found out the hard way. When I was doing a valve adjustment an exhaust valve broke, had to take it all apart again.

11. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    I bought an 84QV with 48K with no regrets several months ago. Looked for a long time, read a lot. (check Forza buyers guide to the 308, also 308FAQ on the internet, both have lots of useful information).
    The compression test/leakdown does not add much to the bill for a PPI, so most would say do it, its only a few bucks.

any questions, contact me. I always enjoy looking!

12. pdevivo

pdevivo Karting

Sep 12, 2002
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    PD
    Had great reliability with my 308/QV - sold it last year with almost 60K miles and it ran like a top. Keep up with the recommended service and drive the car!!

13. atheyg

atheyg Guest

The pre Qv cars had a few issues such as the camshaft bearings did not have a oil supply and could run dry and need replacing, the Qv cars have Nikasil liners which add considerable life to the engine.

328s are even more sorted out, a Ferrari mechanic in S Cal has over 200k on a 328 and the motor has never been apart and it runs perfect

14. Ernie Taylor

Ernie Taylor Rookie

Nov 12, 2003
    Thanks for all the good news, I feel much better and and am back to looking!