308vs328 | FerrariChat

308vs328

Discussion in '308/328' started by Brent328, Feb 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brent328

Brent328 Rookie

Feb 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Brent Neurauter
    For a long term investment what do you think the better choice is, 308 Fuel Injected or 328.

2. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    The GTB QV is quite a rare beast, so i would go with that one.328 is a bit faster of course.

If you can find a carb 308,preferably dry sump, then that should hold/increase it's value a little better than later models. I am naturally slightly biased though.:)

3. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Also to consider is what you are going to do with the car while you are waiting to sell it again. I.E. buy the car you love.

If construction counts are a predictor of value, attached is a breakdown of numbers produced:
    3x8 Production Numbers by Year of Manufacture

My read of the state of affairs is that 308QVs and 328s are both now old cars with equal levels of maintenance and reliability. The 328 is better constructed (bearings, suspension, automated assembly, radiator, etc.). The 308 is more old-school and (to me) better looking, especially the interior.

4. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I don’t think either of these cars should be considered investment worthy. Certainly there are much better investments you should consider. Rather these are interesting snd amusing toys that for some pockets are just real big expenses. I own mine strictly for the pleasure of driving it. Never thought of it as an investment.

beng, jcurry, QV308 and 5 others like this.
  5. Brent328

Brent328 Rookie

Feb 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Brent Neurauter
    Looking at the last 8 years or so the 308 and 328 have doubled in value. Wish I would have bought 8 years ago!!

6. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Yeah, well I wish I had bought that 246 I saw for $8,000 when I was younger.

Brent328: do you already own a 328?

DavidDriver likes this.
  7. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Yes I understand where you are coming from but if you were to take into account the expenses incurred while owning that car for eight years than it’s maybe not that great a profit.
    Two sets of tires
    Two majors
    Insurance for eight years ( full replacement value)
    Gas
    Oil
    Speeding tickets and court costs associated with that
    Registration fees
    Smog testing fees
    Etc.

thorn likes this.
  8. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Compare that to say a $40,000
    Investment yielding 12% for 8 years with annual compounding interest and you end up with close to $100k.
    That’s an investment.

Rifledriver likes this.
  9. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I say just get a 308 QV GTS or GTB and be done with it. :)

mvagusta750 and Crowndog like this.
  10. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Absolutely! The Dino has once again started its upward trajectory ...not everyone can afford $400K+++.

So if you want a somewhat 'old school' V8 Ferrari.There is only really one answer .Considering the 488 sequence is about to end the mid engine V8 Ferrari offering, it's the last of the line which started with the 308.

Will the 308 ever reach $400K , Depends how long is your time span.If the Dino makes it to $1 mio ,then yes why not?

11. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Apples and oranges. I lusted after a 246 when a lad. By age 16 couldn’t find one. At age 30 almost had one for $15k. Wished I did.

12. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Yea but can you drive it around? On their death bed, did anybody ever say "I wished I had not bought that Ferrari?"

veloce33 and vaccarella like this.
  13. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Just my point exactly!

14. Brent328

Brent328 Rookie

Feb 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Brent Neurauter
    That's how i'm looking at it, its hard to put a number on the feeling when you are in the seat of a Ferrari.

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  15. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Total agreement there.

16. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Perhaps I misunderstood your meaning of investment. Investment in soul soothing then either would serve that purpose well.

17. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    $357,500 is i believe the world record achieved early 2016 at Goodings auction for a 308 GTB Vetroresina.

Of course these have since retreated to more sensible levels ,starting at half that figure.Along with many other Ferrari's.

18. Brent328

Brent328 Rookie

Feb 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Brent Neurauter
    Getting back to the dollars and cents, we know they doubled in the last 8 years, would it be realistic they would do the same in the next 10 to 15 years?

19. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    #19 Ferrari 308 GTB, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    A lot depends of course on the general ,world,economy. Seems like a recession is certainly possible within 1-3 years..so if you might decide to sell it in that time frame you can lose out.

If you buy and hold for 15 years then you will be sitting on a 50+ yr old classic Ferrari.The world then will be all electric,even Ferrari plus driver less etc etc.So i would reasonably expect them to increase in value.If i could predict the future numbers i would not be sitting on the sofa with our friends on FChat.:)

This is assuming of course that we will be allowed to drive these dinosaur machines outside of the cities.

Saabguy likes this.
  20. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    #20 thorn, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    Personally, I doubt it. No crystal balls, of course. But I think the increase already has happened, and we'll probably see it hover around where it is now. Anything substantial above that will be due to the future value of the dollar.

21. detroiter

detroiter Karting

Apr 30, 2013
    Munich, Bayern
    Full Name:
    Carter
    The 308s and 328s hovered at the same level for years and years until the collector market really heated up about five years ago. But that’s cooled off, so I don’t expect significant price growth in the coming years. They’re just good classic cars that you can drive and enjoy without worry, and they’ll hold their values.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

22. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    There is a false stigma against Ferrari regarding maintenance and reliability so the 3x8 will never be embraced by the enthusiasts market. There were far more E-Types and Corvette C1s made than 3x8s yet their prices are higher (even despite Lucas). Heck, there are old 911s that cost the same as a 3x8 and they were made in the millions.

For better or worse, the 3x8 has caught the attention of the collector market. They don't drive their cars. The hormone-fueled teenagers watching Magnum p.i. are just now entering their age of peak purchasing power, so they may cause another bump-up on pricing, but who knows.

I am ambivalent toward price. I guess I should want to own a priceless antique but value does affect my attitude toward the car and makes me less willing to take risks with it both how/where I drive it and how I modify it (I would dearly love to lower it a bit right now).

Oengus likes this.
  23. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    How many of those increases are only an offset to inflation?

Buy cars for fun, not investment.

We have 3 Italian cars we have had for a long time. Counting the all up costs of the 328, Testarossa and the LM002 only the LM has turned out to be a good investment and when you really get down to it I don't like it much and never have.

53ford and Crowndog like this.
  24. 53ford

53ford Karting

Nov 13, 2009
    "Buy cars for fun, not investment." Only six words...and likely the best advice regarding old cars I've ever heard!

Albert-LP, Ryan... and MFlanagan like this.
  25. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul