312PB Drawings | FerrariChat

312PB Drawings

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by jmillard308, Nov 17, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    With all that knowledge out there, I wonder if anyone can assist. I am trying to source some scale drawings of a 312PB. Even photos square on of side front and back would help. Thanks in anticipation
    John

2. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    John: Does it have to be the 312PB? I have a nice cutaway drawing and front/rear/side drawings of the 312P, copyright Quattroruote magazine, by Bruno Betti (?), from June 1971. Would that be of any help? Jeff B.

3. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I guess I'm not sure if the 312P and the 312PB are exactly the same thing....

4. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Jeff - thanks very much for that kind offer but, and you may well laugh at this, I propose to build a pedal car for my grandson :).
    The 312P has lots of multiple curvature panels whereas the 321PB has lots of flat or single plane curves - much easier to fabricate!
    I realise I can't make a faithful replica, but starting from the correct point would assist greatly.

5. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    John: Lucky grandson! Since I have the drawings sitting here by my scanner.....

6. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Jeff - you are a legend! That is indeed the 312PB!!!! I thank you and my grandson thanks you :)
    All I have to do now is build the thing :(
    Ahhh, the joys of small people :)
    John

7. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

John... sounds like a very cool project. Pls share photos of the finished product!

8. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Greg
    Yep, shoould be fun - just hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew!
    Jeff
    For interest, here is the 312P (1969 Rodriguez Nurburgring)
    The 312PB was originally designated 312P, I think, but was changed to PB to avoid confusion. It had the flat 12 engine from the F1 car rather than a V12 as in the 312P.

9. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Jeff
    For your information - the following from the Ferrari Owners site regarding terminology of 312P/312PB

312 P (1971)
    The new 1971 version of the sports prototype came with a flat-12 engine, often referred to as a boxer engine. Many publications added the letter B after the P of its name to indicate its engine type, but this variation was never officially sanctioned by Ferrari which simply called it the 1971 312 P. In addition to a new engine, the chassis also differed in certain respects as aluminium panels were riveted to the small-diameter tubular spaceframe a further step towards the monocoque.

Funny how things are hi-jacked - like "Daytona" was never used by the factory when describing the 365GTB/4

John

10. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Hi, John:

I should have known the story about the 312P/PB, but I had forgotten, so thank you for refreshing my memory. Your avatar picture is a 312PB, correct? Is there a story to that? Since you posted a pic of the 312P at the 'Ring, I will post one of the 312PB at the 'Ring (Ickx/Regazzoni 1971).

11. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Great shot Jeff - thanks.
    My avatar is Nino Vaccarella in the 312PB at Goodwood this year - no personal story except of all the cars that switched me on to Ferrari, this was probably the defining one. I spent some time in Europe in the early 70's and saw them being driven in anger - they looked and sounded awesome! :)
    Here's a pair at Watkins Glen 1972