UNOBTAINIUM SUPPLIES: Rubber Bumpers for GTS side window louvers | FerrariChat

UNOBTAINIUM SUPPLIES: Rubber Bumpers for GTS side window louvers

Discussion in '308/328' started by Verell, Mar 16, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #1 Verell, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sometimes it's the little things that are hardest to come by. About 3 yers ago Daniel asked if I could source the little rubber bumpers for the GTS louvers. So I started looking for some in good enough condition to use as mold patterns. Of course I quickly discovered they were NLA, even using some Italian contacts & all my dealer friends.

In case you don't recall what I"m writing about , see the 2nd picture below.

Then finally early last fall Mike Tuason sent me one of his bumpers. It was almost good enough for a mold pattern, and certainly good enough that I could get dimensions off of it & machine a mold pattern. So I put the bumpers on my TODO list for my annual holidays shut down.

Then in mid October I got this eMAIL with an amazing picture from ramosel:

Of course I immediately responded taking Rick up on his offer of to let me borrow one to make a mold.

Thanks to Mike Tuason, Rick Moseley & Brian Keegan's foresight I will be announcing production has begun in a few weeks.

Meanwhile watch this thread, I'll try to entertain you with progress reports & pictures every few days.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. stevel48

stevel48 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2005
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Steve (85 308 Owner)
    I need one for my 85. I assume these are ready for sale?
    Thanks

3. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #3 Verell, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
    A few weeks later I got a small box from Rick with one of each bumper in it. I was buried with work at the time, so put them on the shelf & an entry in my TODO list.

About the middle of last month they finally made it to the top of my TODO list.
    I knew that in order to make these at a reasonable cost I needed a mold that would make at least 4 & preferably 6 or 8 of these parts at a time. So I knew I was going to have to make 2 molds, one single cavity mold that I could use to make a small quantity of patterns for the second multicavity mold.

I mounted the parts half buried in clay poured the 1st half of a silicone mold that would make one each of the bumpers. When I removed the clay, I got a surprise. While the silicone had cured around the early style part, about 2mm of the silicone around the 2nd later style part was completely uncured goo. Then I remember that that particular mold silicone would not cure against a surface containing sulphur. Guess what is used to vulcanize rubber : sulphur. The silicone was NEVER going to cure around that 2nd part!

So I cut the mold in half, leaving me with 1 good mold half for making the early style bumper. I poured silicone into the area left by the clay removal & when It cured I had a single cavity mold for making the early style patterns. I've been making a part every 2-e days, so in a week or so I'll have enough early style patterns to make the early style bumper production mold.

I poured a non sulfer inhibiting silicone into the 2nd mold where the clay had been removed, keeping my fingers crossed that the part would stay in this silicone when I removed it from the partially cured mold. It worked & I just had to scrape a bunch of gooey uncured silicone off of the part & the cured silicone mold half. I was then able to pour the wnd mold half & now have a 1 cavity mold for making the new style part. So far I've made 3 new style pattern parts.

With reasonable progress I'll announce production parts for sale in a couple of weeks.

I've got a few pictures, will post them tomorrow as I left the camera somewhere I can't get at right now.

4. ramosel

ramosel Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Meadow Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    R Moseley
    WooHoo!! Glad I was able to help...

I have a set of these pieces for my car but wanted to get some to you so the rest of the Ferrari clan would have them in the future.

I've been riding Big Tex the last few months about the door handle bezels. Hopefully you have those now or soon. I've been holding off putting my door handles back on until you get a set of those made for me!!

Thanks Verell, you do us all a great service!

Rick

5. flyngti

flyngti Formula 3

Jul 16, 2009
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Eric L
    #5 flyngti, Mar 16, 2011
    Am I missing something here? Are both styles of rubber bumpers NLA? I just got a handful of the older style #20106001 from Ferrparts a few months ago.

6. Papa Duck

Papa Duck Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Carl
    I am confused by the picture you posted in the original post. I just checked my 1981 GTSi and the rubber bumpers on my car are at the position below the lock, not in the middle of the window where you have the yellow circle. It is the same on both sides of the car and I always looked at that hole as a drain for water trapped behind the plastic louvers. I would think that if one of the bumpers were placed in the middle position it would stress the louver when it was closed and potentially cause a failure of the plastic.

7. 4redude

4redude Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2005
    Fungus Corner
    Full Name:
    Brian Keegan
    The early style bumpers are still currently available. They fit the rear of the GTS louver opening on all 308 GTS models. The forward one 60551400 fits 1981-1989 308/328 GTS models and has not been available for many years. I knew I had a set of them but they were in long term storage until recently.
    Papa Duck, the hole in the middle is for the "tail" of the 60551400 bumper. This bumper will not exert any pressure on the louvers as there is a slight outward curve to them.

8. Easyrider7467

Easyrider7467 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2005
    Northen N.J.
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes, there was a time when they weren't available. Believe me I searched high and low.
    However now, I recently purchase a few from Ferrari of New England and the part number was changed.
    How readily available they will be in the future, dunno......To me, its still a part that is on the "endangered list"

Thanks Verell, for your efforts. At least there will be source.

9. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Put me on the list to buy two (2) of part # 60551400 for my '84 QV.

Thank you (again!) Verell!

10. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I'm in for 2. Maybe 4. Let me know details.

11. gphpe

gphpe Rookie

Jan 14, 2008
    Central Coast, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I'm interested in two. Last year I was deducted a point at Monterey Concorso Itailano because these components were missing.

12. JOEL D.

JOEL D. Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Joel DeLuca
    I'll take 6

13. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Never even knew this was supposed to be there. I'll have to check to see if mine are missing, but either way I'm in for two.

Alberto

14. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #14 Verell, Mar 31, 2011
    Here is the 1st pass mold. The left mold half had the newer bumper that inhibited the silicone from curing. The black in the right mold for the older #20106001 bumper is very thin traces of black casting compound as I'd already made a couple of parts from the mold when the picture was taken.

BTW, Just checked a couple of weeks later & that left mold half still hasn't cured. It's amazing that the tiny traces of sulfer absorbed from the bumper's surface can keep that silicone from curing! It's not usable as the uncured silicone has flowed enough so detail has been lost so I guess I'll just toss it.

The 2nd picture shows the pink & cream mold I mde from the newer # 60551400 bumper using a silicone that's inhibition resistant.

The 3rd picture shows 5 of the older style bumpers from the blue & black mold. These parts are cast in hard plastic as I will be using them to make the eight cavity production mold.

The 4th picture shows a couple of the newer 60551400 bumpers from the pink mold. Again cast in hard plastic to make it easier to form a multi-cavity production mold.

I still need to make another 6 of hard 60551400 bumpers before I can start on the production mold. Anytime I'm making a part for someone I'm mixing about 3 CCs extra & making another hard bumper. It's still slow going as it takes several hours for each pour to cure. At best I'm turning out 2/day, but there are days when I'm doing something other than casting & don't make any, so the end average is about 1/day.

Best guess is I will have the 60551400 bumper production mold finished by the end of April. I'll have to make a couple of pours before I'll know what the yield will be, how much mateirial & labor will be required, & how long it will take to trim molding flash from the parts.

Bottom line is these reproductions are going to be quite pricey compared to the NOS ones which are a bargain as far as Ferrari parts go! SWAG is there's still going to be a couple of hour's labor in each production mold pour, and the last time I bought a pint of the polyurethane rubber casting compound it was almost $100/pint. Unfortunately that would put each bumper in the $30 - $35 price range.

I'm probably not going to start on the older #20106001 bumper production mold as long as there's still NOS available. You might want to stock up on the 20106001 bumpers as you can get several of them for what my reproductions will run.

15. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Looking good Verell:)

16. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Outstanding Verell! I'm still in for (2) of your new 60551400 parts.

17. Papa Duck

Papa Duck Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Well, I guess I am in need of two 6551400 as well since my car has never had any in place since I bought it in 1989. You learn something every time you log in here. Put me on the list.

18. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #18 Verell, Jul 15, 2011
    Late last week I removed the 1st half of hte production mold for the 6551400 bumpers from the overnite pressure chamber cure. The light blue mounting clay that supported the bumpers has been mostly removed. There are still a lot of small bits of clay adhering here & there that has to be removed as well as the 'flash' from various places. Probably a good 6 hours work before I can apply rubber release & pour the 2nd half of the mold.

The 10 pattern pieces are different colors because they were made 1 at a time as I was casting othere hard parts.

I hope to finish the production mold & announce that parts are available by the end of July.

19. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #19 Verell, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
    Yesterday I unmolded the 1st batch from the production mold. It yielded 7 good parts, 1 part with a tiny bubble on the bottom, & 2 with significant bubbles.

ramosel, I MAILed you a pair along with your door handle bezels. Let me know what you think of the rubber's hardness.

70% yield tells me that I need to make another batch to get a better idea on yield before I set a price.

I'm away next week, so the next batch will be the week ending 2-SEP. At that time I'll announce the price.

20. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #20 miketuason, Oct 27, 2011
  21. stevel48

stevel48 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2005
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Steve (85 308 Owner)
    Are they up on the site for sale yet?

22. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    They are for sale, I just don't know how many he has made.

23. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    Excellent!

24. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Don't see them on the site, any update Verell? I'm in.

25. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Sent Verell a PM or an email.