328 AC hoses | FerrariChat

328 AC hoses

Discussion in '308/328' started by mike996, May 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Thinking about replacing the AC hoses on my '89 328. Does anyone have a parts list of what and where they bought -hoses/fittings - to do so?

2. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I can't help with specifications but can say that A/C hoses and fittings are straightforward.

I'm renovating the a/c on my other sportscar (1987 BMW 325ic) which had hellacious leaks. I have taken apart pretty much every joint in the whole system (one leak was on the side of the expansion valve!). Have learned a lot. I am down to a pressure loss of 1 psi per day at 100 psi N2 (and I think I found it).

Here is a website who lists the specs for the various fittings. They also make hoses. I've bought a bunch of stuff from them. They seem like nice people, although I've never met them (they are in Florida/I am in California): https://coldhose.com/

3. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Thanks Brian, I'll check them out!

4. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    FWIW, a local shop can make up new, duplicate hoses/fittings if I bring in the old ones. I think I'd rather do that than buy hoses/fittings and tmake them up myself.

5. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I had all my AC hoses and fittings replaced, my mechanic had to send them out, they came back better than new, make sure you use the hoses for whatever refrigerant you use where you live.

6. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I did that. I had a shop make up new hoses and fittings. And then I couldn't get the fittings through the hole in the frame rail. In hindsight I should have made the hole bigger. Instead I cut the hose with the intention of splicing it back together. It went worse from there. So I've been without AC for a few years. I plan on running new hose and crimping the connectors on after the fact now.

7. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I just found a big gash in my suction hose at the aft end and since the engine and tank are out I’m doing them now. Brian and I are splitting the cost for the crimp tool. I’ll be getting my stuff together this week and will post it. This is for a QV so it might not be exactly the same as 328. The hose and fittings can be gotten online or locally at any hydraulic hose shop. I don't see any way to snake the hoses through with the fittings on them. If you want to run R134a you should get barrier hose.

8. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Good info re running the AC lines with the fitting attached. I had read that before but seems I had read an account of doing it WITH the fittings attached. Maybe I was confusing that with whether the gas tank did/did not need to be pulled or something else. It's hard for me to believe Ferrari made the cars and required the hoses to be individually cut/fittings to be crimped on at the factory but maybe so! ;) I thought about buying the parts/doing it all myself but frankly, the crimping tool costs considerably more than the hose and fittings and although I usually have no problem spending money on tools, the price of a crimper for what would certainly be a one-time use was a bit off-putting. But I may have to just bite that bullet! :(

9. MFlanagan

MFlanagan Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    I used a kit from Classic Air https://www.classicautoair.com/shop/1977-ferrari-308-lhd-air-conditioning-system/ to renovate the air conditioning system in my 308 GTB. Their hoses came with one fitting attached to each hose. The second fitting needed to be crimped on after the hoses had been pulled through the rocker-panel space. I found a local air-conditioning shop that had the crimper. I asked them to do that and then charge the system. It works, now.

10. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Looking at mine right now I can't imagine how it would be possible to route these hoses with the tank in place. There is a Chinese knock-off of the crimper for $200 but it's a crap shoot, I don't know if it will work but I'm thinking of getting it on Amazon and trying it. If it turns out to be crap I'll just return it. It looks exactly like the $600 Mastercool tool, you just never know with this stuff sometimes it IS identical. Other option is to have the rear fittings put on by a shop, run the hoses then take the car to a shop and have them do the front end fittings.

11. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Okay maybe this will help. Again, this is for my 1983 308QV

The big hose from evaporator to suction port of compressor is 1/2 inch #10 with two straight female o-ring fittings with 7/8x14 threads. I bought 12 feet.

The smaller hose from condenser to discharge port on compressor is 13/32 inch #8 with one 90 degree female o-ring fitting at the compressor and one straight female o-ring fitting at the condenser both with 3/4x16 threads. I bought 12 feet.

There are two short hoses from condenser to dryer and dryer to expansion valve that are 5/16 inch #6. The longer one uses two straight female o-ring fittings and the short one uses a 90 degree and a 45 degree female o-ring fitting all with 5/8x18 threads. I bought two feet.

The only receiver/dryer I found is about an inch taller, haven't ordered it yet as I'm still looking

I ordered my stuff from coldhose.com and I decided to go with reduced barrier hose to make it a bit easier to route through the tight bends.

Haven't decided on the crimper yet but will before the end of the week.
    Total for everything so far was $175

Milkshaker0007, Brian A and Saabguy like this.
  12. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    FWIW, on an old Mopar that I owned for nearly 20 years, with what looks like the same York compressor that's on my 328, the ac hoses were attached to the fittings with normal-looking hose clamps. No crimped fittings anywhere. I had to replace the hoses once due to permeation but other than that, no issues with leaks. ;)

Martin308GTB likes this.
  13. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Highly interesting to hear. Was this stock from factory? But made me think about my welding gas bottles, where we have even higher pressures if I open the valves completely, and hose clamps.

Best from Germany
    Martin

14. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I wouldn't use standard hose clamps for AC lines.

15. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Me neither. But nevertheless interesting to read, that they seem to be capable to hold such pressures.

Best from Germany
    Martin

16. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I agree and I'm not suggesting we should use hose clamps but if you really think about it, what does a crimp fitting do that is any different from what a hose clamp does? It just "clamps" the hose to the fitting. Of course, a very important thing about crimped fittings is that they can't loosen over time like hose clamps can.

As far as my old Mopar, the AC was Plymouth dealer-installed, not factory-installed.

17. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    When I did them on my 82 GTS had the fuel tank removed, attached them to the old AC lines via electrical tape (after I had Cut the old fittings off that attach to the compressor) Soaped them up with Dawn dishwashing liquid and pulled them through easily with the old hoses. Once I got them situated upfront, just had one of the guys from Napa auto parts come out with their crimping tool and put the new ends on upfront. Would think it impossible to pull these hoses through with fittings attached. Didn’t have any trouble finding someone at Napa to come out and spend some time with the Ferrari! :)

18. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    The Nippondenso compressor on my '86 Porsche died around the turn of the century. I replaced it myself and used ordinary hose clamps on the lines. It has never had to be recharged. The joints on the lines were made using copper tubing and hose clamps. This vehicle served as my track car that was driven to the events so AC was needed.

19. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    I had an A/C on a Fiat held with regular clamps, they would leak and once one blew off due to high pressure.
    Wouldn't recommend regular clamps, first because they don't hold tight enough and secondly because of thermal expansion... with time they tend to loosen.
    On my 328 I had a couple custom made, copying the original. They were the long ones, from the compressor. Price was 60 Euros per hose, and before I removed the old ones, with the hoses disconnected I introduced a steel wire through the hose and attached it to the closest chassis structure. This helped as a guide when installing the new hose.

Just my experience.

John.

20. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    There are, of course, better hose clamps than the standard types we are all used to. Additionally, you could use multiple clamps, with the screws oriented on opposite sides of the hose, very common in marine use. I have used (one) standard hose clamp on most of my air compressor/hose fittings for many years and have never had any problem. Admittedly, 120-230 PSI is as high as my system gets and there might be some seepage though I check the fittings with soapy water initially and once in a (great) while, check the fittings for tightness.

BUT...obviously, some seepage in an air compressor hose system is of no consequence at all while some seepage in an AC system IS! ;)

21. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  22. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hi John,

did you manage to pull the new hoses through the car with the fittings already attached?
    That's the biggest concern.

Best
    Martin

23. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    When I joined sections of AC hose on my Porsche I inserted the copper tubing into the AC hose sections several inches then used two clamps on each section. Coefficient of thermal expansion of copper is about the same as stainless steel. And for the temperature changes experienced, the expansion difference is negligible. As previously mentioned I made the joint quite a number of years ago and the system is still working fine. It's a back yard fix but it is working for me. Your results might vary.

24. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Hello Martin,
    Yes, I pulled the old ones out, had some new ones custom made (exactly the same as originals) and installed the new ones. I used a guide as stated before and also used "baby powder" to make installation easier.I did not have to remove the fuel tanks.

Hope this helps, I can send a drawing of how I set up the guide if this helps or leads to "brighter" ideas.

Best from Spain,

John.

BTW we're hitting 39 Celsius right now...I love it:)

Saabguy likes this.
  25. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996