328 Bonnet Underside Paint Color | Page 2 | FerrariChat

328 Bonnet Underside Paint Color

Discussion in '308/328' started by hk328, Dec 10, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vinny

vinny Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    R.I.
    Full Name:
    Vincent Pitocco
    Whit,
    What is the color under the engine lid? It should match whats under bonnet, Usually they are matte black (Glasurit).

-Vinny

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

Mine's and early 1987 and the bonnet interior is black, quite clearly sprayed over the Grigio. It must be factory, as it's a bad spray job :)

3. whit

whit Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Vinny,
    The underside of my engine cover is indeed black. And I have a carpeted liner over the rear trunk as well. A similar material to the '89 front trunk show above, I suspect.

4. hk328

hk328 Rookie

Nov 14, 2003
    Thanks for all your replies. The car is 1988 GTS - 75509 manufactured early 88, I will add details to register shortly.

On other comments raised by others, there is no foam on underside of bonnet, but as mentioned by others there is a rubber seal to protect spare tyre, which is a full sized spare not a emergency spare.

Gas strut when viewing from front of the car is on the left side.

From your comments looks like it should be Black, the underside bonnet has at some time definately been sprayed! Looks like its down to the paint shop, for a respray!

5. RussF

RussF Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    1988.5 Red paint, no foam, all indications are that it was original.

6. vinny

vinny Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    R.I.
    Full Name:
    Vincent Pitocco
    All of the 328's Ive seen were matte black. Same color as under engine lid & rockers. Ferrari used Glasurit matte black, I can get the color code for you if your interested in painting it black.
    BTW As I asked Whit, what color is under your engine lid.

-Vinny

7. DBR328&330

DBR328&330 Formula Junior

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    OK Guys, Here is my take:

My car is a red/tan GTB early 1988- SN 75063.

The underside of hood is red with no foam pad. There is a rubber seal around the spare tire bin that seals against the closed hood. I have a button type strut on the left. IMPORTANTLY, there is a serial number sticker on the left front of the underside of hood, which leads me to believe that the red was original as it otherwise would be painted over.

Additionally, at Cavallino 2003, no deductions were taken for my hood ( 98 points overall)

I believe body color or black is original.

8. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Nice - A 98 point 328!!! Damn I would love to see that car. I can't imagine what it would take to get my car to 98 points!

9. DBR328&330

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    Thanks Slag. As you probably know, originality/authenticity is more important than condition ( although that's important too). Even though my car has 50,000 miles and has some paint chips and the seat looks sat-in, it still looks fairly new and has no mods and all books, tools, keys, window sticker etc etc. Every time it is at the dealer I get offers to buy the car. BTW your new interior looks sweet!

10. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    All this talk made me go out and look. Black underside, but the car is black, too. Carpet under front and rear.

11. vinny

vinny Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    R.I.
    Full Name:
    Vincent Pitocco
    Is underside flat or gloss black?

12. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Hard to describe. It is gloss, but not like the exterior. But it is shinier than a flat or semi-gloss paint. Looks like a gloss that needs to be buffed out.

13. vinny

vinny Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    R.I.
    Full Name:
    Vincent Pitocco
    Is it the same as underside of engine lid?

14. vinny

vinny Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    R.I.
    Full Name:
    Vincent Pitocco
    Is there an edge where it was masked off?

15. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    No edge, just seems like it was all done at once. Being a black car, it is hard to tell if this is a body color underside or a black underside.

16. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Under the engine lid is definitley a rough texture flat black. The front is much smoother and glossier, but still not like the exterior.

17. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Forty freakin' posts on the paint finish under the front hood of a 328! We need to get a LIFE! :)

Time for a new thread....

18. vinny

vinny Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    R.I.
    Full Name:
    Vincent Pitocco
    Yours sounds like its the body color, The reason for the less gloss could be from the way it was applied.

19. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Dave-

Agreed, unless you want a 100 point car, why worry about it?

If you're showing it Concours for points, it matters, and make sure you don't drive it.

If not, take a Valium and forget about it! :)

20. hk328

hk328 Rookie

Nov 14, 2003
    Thanks all, I've taken the valium, its the weekend so its on with life, and I'll leave it "RED"

21. DBR328&330

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    Hk328:

Our serial numbers are very close (as Russ F I assume) and all of our hoods are red with no carpet or foam. I would definitely leave it alone!!

22. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    The bridge keeper.... "What is the color of the underside of a Ferrari 328 front bonnet"

What do you mean, an 88 1/2 or 89 model?

The bridge keeper.... "I don't know" awwwwwwwww

23. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    #48 AJS328, Dec 12, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I don't mean to beat a dead horse but I just took a picture of the underside of my bonnet. The car is #81641 and was built in May of '89. As you can see it has the carpet also.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. whit

whit Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I find it interesting that you would make this statement:

"Forty freakin' posts on the paint finish under the front hood of a 328! We need to get a LIFE! :)

Time for a new thread...."

Particularly after offering the earlier opinion:

"...308 or 328, the underside of the hood is always black."

For me this thread was very interesting, and I learned some subtleties about the 328 that I have never seen documented anywhere. This is the type of stuff many Ferraristi thrive on, and this forum, and thread, provided an excellent means of furthering our understanding. :)

25. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Whit,
    of course it can be useful information...but in the grand scheme of things, we need to drive more, and talk subtlies less...it's just a 328 for gosh sake's, not some highly collectible and rare car....just a car, and used ones at that... :)

I guess that's why I spend most of my time on the technical side, anything to assist me in keeping my car on the road... :)

It would be best for me to keep my trap shut and stay out of these threads altogether....and leave you true die hards alone! :)