328 Bonnet Underside Paint Color | Page 3 | FerrariChat

328 Bonnet Underside Paint Color

Discussion in '308/328' started by hk328, Dec 10, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whit

whit Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Fair enough. But don't assume I'm one of the "die hards". I didn't start the thread. I was just trying to help answer the question for those who did. I wouldn't have stayed as interested if not for the suggestion that my car had been previously repainted, something I consider extremely unlikely.

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    You bet, but you have to admit that the casual "lurkers" are probably thinking we are a bunch of anally obsessed owners...fretting over the idiosincracies of the color of the underside of our hoods no less... :)

That's what made me make that post....

3. whit

whit Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
  4. vinny

vinny Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    R.I.
    Full Name:
    Vincent Pitocco

Even highly collectible and rare cars were just used cars at one point in time... 20 years from now it could be a rare collectible... I could have a customer come in to have his rare 328 restored to factory spec.When he asks about under the hood color I can now tell him(her) they were done both ways from the factory.

5. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Careful Vinny,
    To be accurate, we determined (and not conclusively) that the only time the hood was body color was from mid 88 to the end of 88. Earlier cars where black, and 89 (last year) had the carpet liner. So you really need the production date of the car (and a little investigation of the under hood paint) to determine the proper finish/paint scheme.

6. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    very cool thread.........so much to learn...... so little time

7. vinny

vinny Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    R.I.
    Full Name:
    Vincent Pitocco

Thanks for clarifing.

I know you are making lite of the subject... but you would'nt believe what people ask me to do when restoring a car. I once had to duplicate overspray on a mustang the way the factory did it.But thats what the customer wanted... he's paying for it. So this bit of info is usefull to me.

8. jr328gtb

jr328gtb Karting

May 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Roberts
    i feel like i need to add my 2 cents also

my 89 gtb (#78881) has red paint under the front hood with the carpet lining....seems like a trend for the 89 models

john

9. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Hey no problem Vinny, I have a friend who is a painter and does these awesome custom paint jobs on street rods...expensive jobs...and he does all kinds of crazy stuff for his customers....charging appropriately, fo course. :)