328 Cam seal housing O ring leak | FerrariChat

328 Cam seal housing O ring leak

Discussion in '308/328' started by Iain, Feb 26, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    So, I've got an oil leak on the front bank exhaust cam seal housing on my 328. Not the cam seal itself, but the O ring that seals the cam seal housing/carrier into the head/cam cover.

I replaced these O rings only two years ago when I had my engine out. I have the brown (Viton?) O rings in there.

At that time I also used the infamous grey cam cover gaskets & both of those leaked, so last year I replaced them both with OEM green ones and those have been fine (with RTV at the corners of the gaskets & O rings etc as per the proscribed method.)

But its leaking oil past the O ring (maybe it was last year as well, impossible to know).

Obviously not the easiest of the four cams get to & the AC compressor is out the way & the belt cover & cam cover are off. The cam seal is obviously dry & its definitly the O ring. There's nothing visibly wrong with it that can be seen but I would expect its the lower part that is leaking.

So to replace it the cam is going to have to come out as well (no big deal).

I expect the purists would probably say not to use any sealant on the replacement O ring at the bottom half where it sits in the head - or would they? I am sorely tempted to use a very small amount of something like some Loctite 518 (or Loctite 574 was suggested) on the lower half of the O ring where it sits in the head.

Anyone have a view/opinion on the rights & wrongs of doing that?

I really can't be doing with this thing leaking again! Also , the cam seal itself is only 2 years old - any views on whether I should replace that too? Those things are a ***** to get out the housings & its not leaking. I am inclined to leave well alone & just take a scotchbrite pad to knock the shine off the cam where it runs in the seal & let it reseal itself.

2. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I am replacing cam seals now but not able to fathom your description of trouble with that o-ring, perhaps because my car is 2V.

I was surprised to find *none* of the RTV I used last time still around. Perhaps I was too conservative in that regard.

I, too, am unconvinced about the merits of the various gasket sealers, though they do not seem to do any harm. Since I have the "grey" gaskets this time perhaps I better use them.

Off tomorrow to the Volvo dealer to get my valve shims :):).

3. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Different setup on the 2V engines I think. On the 4V motors the cam seal sits in a desperate housing that you first slide over the cam from the back end. That then seals in the head and the cam cover via a big o ring (which is what's leaking) :(

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    O ring never leaks on the bottom half. It gets damaged right at the parting surface of the head and valve cover. There will be a big chunk missing at that point.

Ferrari fought this for a while and finally supplied us with an O ring with a durometer rating and a section thickness that actually worked. Those have not been in the supply line for many years and all we get now is some generic crap of either buna or viton. Neither work very well.

There are 2 TSB's on how to modify both the valve cover and the seal housing to mitigate the problem.

The real problem is those idiots in Maranello took a perfectly good cam seal/valve cover design (2V) and fixed it (4V).

5. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Thanks Brian. I will take the cam out by the weekend & see what I can see & then see if I can find that TSB!

6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #6 Rifledriver, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
    During this time period Ferrari changed their TSB numbering system a few times.

There is one dealing with the same matter on 348's Numbered Area 1 (engine) #3 dated July 1 1994. It may also be TSB 615.

It is 2 pages and shows modifications to be made to the gasket, valve cover and cam seal housing.

Also look up 10-31

7. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    I had the same issue in the same location as described by the OP. Upon removal of the front bank valve cover (just two months post major service) I found the exhaust cam seal housing O-ring damaged at the location where the lateral aspect of the valve cover meets the head. It was just as Rifledriver described with a chunk of O-ring missing at this spot. Perplexed at the time as I was confident that the valve cover went on straight without any O-ring binding. Repeated the whole procedure on the front bank with new cam seal housing O-rings and valve cover gaskets and still have a very slight leak at this location. I've done some research since then and read about the valve cover and seal housing modifications that can be perfomed to help with this. Unfortunatley, I never came across any specific documentation regarding the procedure. Many thanks to Brian for chiming in and providing the SB#'s. For some reason SB 10-31 is not in my library. If anyone has a reference for that I'd greatly appreciate it. In the meantime, I'll see if I can find the documentation regarding the 348 dealing with the same matter.

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I am looking for the same service bulletin SB-5666 for the 348 and cannot find it. I can find the title but not the content on AutoMD. If you find it, please share.

9. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    There was a link or thread on here that gave a URL where all the 308 TSBs could be found & printed. Trying to find that...

10. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    Thanks Greg, I believe this is the link that you're referring to: ferrari documentation - service bulletins. Unfortunately the SB 10 (engine) series ends at SB 10-25 and the one that Rifledriver referenced (SB 10-31) is not there. Let me know if you have a link to something else that includes SB 10-31.

11. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Brian talked about a technical service bulletin for the 348, issued in 1994. I will not be covered by the 328/308 information database.

The NHTSA has a database that I am trying to find, to no luck yet.

12. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    Yep, I plan on searching for the 348 related TSB's shortly but Brian also referenced SB 10-31 in post #6 which carries the same SB nomenclature as those in the Service Bulletin link that I provided in Post #10. Note that the SB list in that link is not just for the 308/328 but all models from 1979-1989. Whether that link is all inclusive or not is another story.

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    SB 10-31 is dated 10-10-91

14. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    Thanks Brian, that certainly explains why it's not listed in the previous link.

15. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Brian, would the 328 be a good candidate for the oil drainback holes in the heads?

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #16 Rifledriver, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
    Doesn't hurt but that alone will not cure it. All the 4V V8's had the same problem for the same reasons.

It is not unlike a lot of the problems on older Ferraris. They work and come up with a component that will do the job. Once the production of parts shifts out of the hands of Ferrari and their suppliers are no longer in the loop or are not held to the same standards someone looks at the part and says "Hey, we can make this cheaper". That is the case with those O rings.

Most do not know but Ferrari sells rights to manufacture and distribute parts for each model after just a few years. Ferrari has not made 328 parts since probably the mid 90's.

They just middleman them.

17. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Well, no great chunks missing out the O ring but there are a couple of small marks on it 180 degrees apart at the head/cam cover mating point so I 'll relieve the corner of the bottom of the O ring groove in the cam cover & the head a little with a tiny file & make sure I cut the gasket 1-2mm short on either side & hopefully that should fix it.

18. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Did you ever get the TSB in its full glory at all? I am curious what it suggests to do.

19. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Yes, as you state, I was told to cut the gasket shy of the o-ring. With expansion/contraction (I guess) the gasket can cut the o-ring. Then a small dab of sealant goes in that spot. I've had decent luck but do have a small weep at the rear most cam on my engine from this location.

This may have just been the "explanation to a dummy" that I received because I was not capable of undertanding the whole issue. When I pulled my cams there were about 3 layers of sealant at that joint, spent a lot of time cleaning before putting together. The o-ring was compromised on mine at that joint but I don't remember if it was missing a chunk or pinched or what.

Someone was reportedly working on trying to make a better o-ring but that may have gone out the window due to cost/benefit.

Sometimes I wonder if trying to fix every leak on a leaky engine is one of those great tasks that keeps us going for a lifetime. I hear some have never leaked. In my case I took my car from about 8 leak locations to two known weeps that did not cause a drip ever (for two years). After almost three years and 18k miles I do get drips. Good thing I'm planning the service again and then I'll be here asking for suggestions while mine is in pieces. Bon Voyage!

20. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    I asked a contact at Maranello Parts and all he could find was change notice 103. This detailed a design change of the seal carrier. But I dont think this is the right one because unless I am misreading it, it addresses a different issue namely the lip of the actual cam oil seal contacting the inside of the hole in the carrier. It adds a chamfer there.
    It also adds a drain groove into the carrier so any oil reaching the seal recess can flow back into the head.
    Unfortunately they marked it "not for publication" so cant upload it. But maybe there is another one for the O-ring issue.

21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The drain groove is one of the modifications.

22. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Is it therefore recommended to take a triangular file to the cam seal carrier & add this "feature"?

23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I use a round file.

24. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    I might have one of those too. :)

thanks

25. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    #25 SeattleM5, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Bringing an old thread back to life. In the prior discussion I had been hunting for the service bulletin (SB 10-31) which Brian (Rifledriver) had referenced describing the alterations to the cam seal housings and the heads to prevent cam seal leaks. I ultimately found it and applied those changes to my 328. I'm happy to announce that after 2 and a half years my 328 remains leak free and the shiny clean alternator that I rebuilt is happy that oil isn't dripping on it anymore. Below are the details of SB 10-31 if anyone is interested. Note that one of the procedures not well described in the bulletin is the repositioning and possible enlargement of the oil passage ways in the head. A quick search here using 'oil hole drilling jig' will give you several posts describing the procedure but basically you need a special tool which I believe can still be rented from Daniel at Ricambi. Daniel was kind enough to loan me that tool and I had my cam seal housings machined to accept the new oil drain back grooves. If anyone is interested I have an extra set of cam seal housings with the oil drain back grooves and chamfer already machined if anyone is doing a major this winter and wants to swap their old ones out for the updated versions: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/ferrari-parts-collectibles/508033-cam-seal-housings-drain-back-groove.html
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login