328 coolant loss | FerrariChat

328 coolant loss

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by henryk, Jul 16, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    1989 328 GTSi..........22K miles. I put in about three 17 0z water containers, of anti-freeze, into my car about every 750-1000 miles...........to get the water level about 2 inches from the top.

I used a pressure tester.........the cap holds 15 lbs, and the tank also holds the same........for several minutes. My pressure tester is a Matco brand and new. The car runs fine.

I am perplexed.............I just can't figure out where the water is going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any advice?

Thanks

2. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Does the exhaust have a coolant smell? Could be leaking into the engine through a bad head gasket and going out the exhaust. Are you sure that the car is properly bled? If it's not, it will barf coolant out the overflow on the expansion tank every time you get it up to temperature. You may not even notice because it won't start doing it until you are cruising along. How is your water temp?

Birdman

3. Rossa a nord di

Rossa a nord di Karting

Apr 30, 2008
    Barrie, Ontario, Can
    Full Name:
    Brent Pilon
    Hello
    I agree with Birdman. I believe the 328 is like my 1984 QV. There is an overflow hose on the expansion tank behind the Left rear weal. (Brown rubber), and there is one up near the Right front wheel. But you would expect to see some after you stop driving as well. When I overfilled mine, it was obvious. There was coolant on the garage floor.
    My Manual says that you should be filling the expansion tank to 16 cm below the filler base. (Roughly 6 inches). You might be overfilling it, and it adjusts during the drive.

The other point of coolant in the engine, I think you could probably see evidence of that on the oil dipstick as well.
    Take Care. Brent.

4. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    #4 henryk, Jul 16, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
    No coolant on floor.............must be loosing it when driving. No coolant smell in exhaust...........runs too well to be head gasket........no water on oil dip stick. Coolant temp is fine, untill I loosed enough coolant, then the temp starts to climb................usually when the tank is empty.

This leads to the bleeding problem..........I will bleed it soon. How does the coolant escape in this situation? Does the pressure build up over 15 lbs, for it to escape past the cap? I assume that bleeding it entails putting pressure on the system and opening the bleeding valve on the radiator.........is this right?

Brent: I think you mean 16mm and NOT 16cm. The tank is only 9cm thick!!!!!!!!!! 16mm is about 1/2 inch from the top.

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    If you already have the pressure tester, you bleed it by pumping up the pressure, opening the bleeder valve until no bubble escapes.

6. Drive the car until warm, about 15 minutes. Park it and turn it off. Open the bleeder on the radiator and let it hiss until a bit of water comes out and gently tighten. Let it cool down and open the radiator cap. The coolant level should be at the seem of the expansion tank, the seem is about 1/2 way between top and bottom. If not, adjust accordingly. The car will "spit" out what it does not want and will generally settle with the coolant level at the seem unless something is wrong. One can drive themselves mad adding coolant again and again trying to keep the level too high.

FYI, most 328 owners go through this... you are not the first. Be aware of the problem signs that others have posted.

Have fun! 328's are bullit-proof!

7. Also, do a search on 328's and Stant radiator caps. The Ferrari caps don't seal well but the Stant's do and they are inexpensive. Drive with the Stant, put the Ferrari cap back on for the shows. I used to replace mine every couple of years. Enjoy.

8. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    Don't know if the 328 has a bleed point at the thermostat too? The 308 does I brlieve.

9. carb308gtb

carb308gtb Karting

Oct 20, 2006
    Svezia
    Full Name:
    Patrik
    Just a thought, check if you have a milky goo under the oilcap, then you have condese/water in your oiling system and this is not a good thing.

/Patrik

10. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    My 328 has one at the thermostat.