328 dilemma | Page 2 | FerrariChat

328 dilemma

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ButchFoord, Dec 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ButchFoord

ButchFoord Karting

May 3, 2014
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Aaron (Butch)
    It seems that you are indeed correct. I have noticed that Lorbek have now removed any reference to ABS from their description of the car (probably in response to enquiries).

2. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    It is indeed; and it left the factory at the end of february 1988.
    Note that a very small number of cars with the "older" suspension and wheels (about 5 or 6) have chassis numbers that are posterior to this (for instance, 76632, 76647).

ABS was an OPTION and remained so, for all "euro specs" cars, until the end of 328 production & deliveries (with #83136), so there are some very late produced 328s, LHD or RHD, with convex wheels but without ABS.
    The only country where it was different were the USA: all M.Y 1988 were delivered without ABS, all M.Y 1989 with it.

The easiest way to tell if a 328 has ABS or not is to open the front hood and look at the brake fluid reservoir beneath the windshield:
    -small brake fluid reservoir offset to the right: no ABS.
    -Larger brake fluid reservoir dead in the center: ABS.

Rgds

3. EZEE

EZEE Rookie

Nov 13, 2012
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Emmanuel
    The Lorbek car is indeed a great example. We flew to Adelaide to view it when the previous owner was selling - in the end didn't do a deal as I had just bought an '89 the week before BUT this was a better car (I was looking at "swapping over") - had been in long term ownership and used sparingly - clearly looked after . Was surprised to see it turn around so soon but for what its worth I regret my decision now not to proceed. Even at this price and as crazy as it sounds in this market I feel the price is fair for this car (assuming you always can bargain somewhat with any dealer)

BTW - no affiliation with any of this, I'm in Sydney but felt compelled to contribute something rather than always read everyone else's comments.

Cheers

EZ

4. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    Its gone from the website now, how much were they asking?

Thanks

5. monza75

monza75 Formula 3

Apr 5, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Dan
    $139,990

6. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    ridiculous. A high volume production model that you could buy all day long for $65K 18 months ago and will be buying again for that figure within 5 years.

$140K buys you a 512TR, umpteen times more desirable than a 328.

7. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Yep,not even...

1986 Ferrari Testarossa

8. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg

+1

And that goes for all classic Ferraris at the moment

9. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    All Ferrari prices are mad at the moment. I think for the $139K it was fair value, the upside being the 20,000kms. and the modest running expenses. Hopefully it was sorted with no deferred maintenance issues......however the Good Year Eagle VR50 tyres fitted being OEM in 1989 and not available for the last 22 years suggested otherwise. 6,068 328 GTSs were manufactured. (So you should buy a GTB, only 1,344 made) making a total of 7,412 328s

Contrast this with the testarossa, 512TR and F512M. You won't find any of them in the same condition as the 328 for $140K. The production numbers for these are 7,177 for the testarossa, 2,261 for the 512TR and 501 of the F512M making a total of 9,939.

The other issue with the testarossa and its variants, is it's basically a ****box. Unless you get a late 512TR or F512M you have the exploding differential carrier bearing issue and on all, you have to take the engine out to do the belts. What were they thinking?

10. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Except for the Mondial 8!

They made less of those than F40s and Daytonas. Better snap one up for next years GG before they're all gone!

11. greg246

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg

Good plan!

12. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    I really like the Mondial, lots of room, great chassis, good vision, just not in red, a dark colour works fine. 3.0 Quattrovalvole onwards the build quality improved quite noticeably over the original "8" as well. Why don't we all buy one for the GG?

13. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I thought all Ferraris were like that :eek:

Stupid designers

14. greg246

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg

All jokes aside, I think they've aged well and look great. Problem with all these old ****ters would be finding a good one

15. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    I bet that anyone who started driving that 328 would soon encounter a litany of deferred maintenance issues.

I made the comparison to a 512TR for good reason, they fixed more than the diff issue.

The fact remains that a 328 is a Ferrari-lite experience, clinging to the remains of the Magnum PI imagery, whereas the TR is a bona fide supercar with huge road presence.

I could have had a very nice 512TR for $125K in July. I decided not to because it was an import.

And I would choose a carby 308 over a Aussie delivered 328 any day (UK car not as breathless in the mid range). Most 328 buyers haven't driven the earlier car, so don't realise what they're missing.

16. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Agreed!! $140K for a 328 is crack head pricing!

Going on the stupid asking prices for some Ferraris as of late (the above mentioned 328 for example), I am willing to sell my 348 for $200K. :D

If you know of anyone, please let me know. ;)

17. AussiePete

AussiePete Rookie

Sep 6, 2014
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Peter Chambers
    #42 AussiePete, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Buying choices for a Ferrari is one of the fun parts. how offen do you get to drive multi Ferrari's.Once you get it its is never too easy to sell so you better get it right and choose the one that is simply best, and you like most.
    Being that one day if you stay in Australia you may wish to sell it, even if you are just upgrading to a better Ferrari
    Low km and Australian delivered will always sell easier and quicker in Australia.
    Roof or not, does not matter.
    That's my advice.
    Aussie Pete
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Mondial=The new Golf!?!?!?!

19. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree!

So much for a testarossa piece of junk, they lap PI in about the same time as a 2.0L 911S.

The 512TR has very similar rubbish build quality as the original testarossa and the forged differential carrier didn't exist till over half the 512TR production had appeared at transmission number 1370, then with them still blowing up they updated it again at number 1513. Pathetic that Ferrari continued to make this crap for so long, and worse, people bought it.

It's a severely compromised overweight rusty truck, and supercar, hardly, you want a decent car from that time, then you should try a Countach 5000 Quattrovalvole. 200 kg lighter, rose jointed suspension and bizarrely, better build quality with a boot! Oh, and the engine sits 2 feet lower!

I could live with a late 512TR or F512M provided someone else was paying the bills!

20. ButchFoord

ButchFoord Karting

May 3, 2014
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Aaron (Butch)
    ...and what I find most amazing about all of this is the fact that Adelaide Prestige had the car listed for just a few days at 125k Specials before Lorbek snapped it up and relisted it for 140k and appear to have sold it in less than a week! Not bad for a few days work.

21. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter

Me too

22. AussiePete

AussiePete Rookie

Sep 6, 2014
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Peter Chambers
    I also like the Mondial , its got's it pro's and con,s
    This alone is a topic , discussed often.

There is a nice looking one forsale in Sydney at under A39K at Prestige Motor Gallery (Carss Park NSW) definitely needs a pre purchase inspection.
    But I also agree long term the carbi 1977 GTB is the pick, and a great drive. These often go for high A$
    but 2nd choice is a 328GTS or GTB

Back to the Mondial, it is very practical and low price
    Still a Ferrari.
    Worst part is all the people saying its not a A150k Ferrari when it never was intended to be one.
    Maintenance is the same as the 328, so investment potential is very poor.
    Drive is good, Compare it to an equivalent Alfa or BMW for the same price.
    Neither of these are exactly low cost to maintain.

My test drives and discussion with 308 and 328 even Mondial owners still show they love their Ferrari 's just as much.

Pete

23. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    A well sorted 308 QV is brilliant but a 355 is far superior as a driver's car with proper grunt

24. monza75

monza75 Formula 3

Apr 5, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Dan

By memory, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but the one advertised at Lorbek had shields. I'm not disputing that its the same one advertised at Adelaide Prestige, just curious as to when and WHY someone decided to put them on?

25. ButchFoord

ButchFoord Karting

May 3, 2014
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Aaron (Butch)
    believe me it's the same car. Lorbek probably just put them on thinking it'd look better