328 Door mirror wiring | FerrariChat

328 Door mirror wiring

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Stimorolgum, Apr 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Stimorolgum

Stimorolgum Rookie

Jan 16, 2021
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Hello everyone

I wanted to repair the electrical rearview mirror and found the switch disconnected from the wiring.

Can't find out what wire goes where to the six contacts behind the switch.

So far I only managed to make the mirror move one way to the end and then just clicks.

Any idea what color goes to which contact ?
    o_O
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
  3. Stimorolgum

Stimorolgum Rookie

Jan 16, 2021
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Oh thank you so much for the pictures. Does that green contact or the switch have any numbers on it ? Maybe 4-5-3-2-1-6, like the wiring diagram from left to right.
    That would be helpful to find what cable goes where.

My switch is probably from a BMW. They are slightly different but many buy them because the original is difficult o find.

4. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    #4 raemin, Apr 21, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    If you do not know how these are working, you could have a look at the post I made for the 400i : https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/tornado-visiomatic-connection-diagram.606371/#post-146789182

Long story short, the system does not have one motor for up/down and one motor for left/right. Instead you do have one motor and one solenoid. When the solenoid is off, the motor rotates the mirror right/left, when the solenoid is activated it toggles the motor gears so that the motor moves the mirror up/down (instead of left/right).

All this complexity allows the use of three wires instead of 4 wires between the switch and the mirrors.

In order to save a bit more of complexity both solenoids (left and right mirrors) are operated together regardless of the fact that you operate one mirror or the other.

Hopes this helps...

5. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Hi Kim,
    Unfortunately there are no numbers or markings on the switch..

Stimorolgum likes this.
  6. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Looking at the above diagram, here is how you could try to manage this

CABLING IDENTIFICATION

when white is grounded, the solenoïds of both mirrors are activated

Brown and red cable is +12v

Brown cable is the ground

Black and blue cables should be the wires that operate the mirror motors. You could test these with a 4.5v battery: depending on whether you apply +4.5v or -4.5v mirror should move left/right.

SWITCH PIN IDENTIFICATION

Step 1 : identify which is pin 4, it serves as a ground for the switch, so should be easier to spot

Step 2 : move the switch for up/down motion and identify which is pin 5. This is the pin that will be grounded to pin4 only when the joystick is up or down.

Step 3 : identify which are the which are the motor pins n°3 and 1. As a first step put an ohmmeter on pin4 and identify which pin is shorted to pin4 when you move the joystick on the left. If no pin is identified toggle the switch that is used for left/right mirror. Once you've identified the first motor pin (with joystick on the left), move the joystick to the right and identify the second pin.

Step 4 : once you've identified the previously mentioned two pins you can identify power supply (i.e pin 2). That is actually easy: when you toggle the joystick on the left, motor pins 3 & 5 should be connected to pin 4 & 2, and if you move to the right 3&5 > 2&4 (i.e reversed).

Step 5 : identify which is pin N°2: this is the one that should receive 12v from the battery.

Step 6 : toggle the switch that is used for left/right mirror and repeat step 3,4,5 in order to identify pin 6.

Your mileage may vary as these mirrors harnesses were manually tweaked for each car in order to be sure that up is up left is left, etc... for both mirrors.

Stimorolgum likes this.