328 door panels are vinyl? | FerrariChat

328 door panels are vinyl?

Discussion in '308/328' started by GrigioGuy, Mar 25, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I just always assumed they were leather. Am I mistaken?

2. robbie

robbie F1 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Mine are leather .. 1988.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I was under the impression the main door panel itself was leather (as in our old cars) but the arm rest and door pocket are covered in vinyl...

I have damaged them all, and that's how the 308s were built.

4. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    Just finishing up with the interior on my 86 328. My observation: panels and door arm rest/pocket are covered in leather. The black door handle is covered in vinyl using the same material as the dash.

5. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    Mine too, 1989 model. My Last 328 (87) also had leather with vinyl arm rest. I had an 81 gtbi that was the same.

6. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I believe if your car has a vinyl dash, then the door pulls and map pockets are covered in matching vinyl, but if your dash is leather then the door pulls and map pockets are covered in leather.

I was under the impression that the main door panels were always in leather, but I've never closely inspected the door panels on a car with a vinyl dash.

Best regards,
    Dino

7. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    The main part of the 328 door panels are leather and the arm rests are vinyl. Final answer.

8. JayO

JayO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #8 JayO, Mar 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    '87 328. Door panel and armrest are leather and the door pull is the same black vinyl as the dash. I believe the later 87-89 cars all had the black armrests / map pockets covered in vinyl.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I thought that the dash was also covered in leather. How can you determine as I was about to use Letherique on it. I do know that the panel that covers the fuses is covered in leather.

10. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Some are. It was an option at the time. Some were covered with leather at a later date.

11. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Cut it with a knife right down the middle so you can see. :) I was wondering what to do with my vinyl dash as well. It's an 87 and it isn't pulling, but I expect it hasn't seen too much sun.

12. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    I suspect that your fuse box panel is covered in the same material as your dash. I just completed recovering both on my 86 328 and they were both originally vinyl on mine.

13. speedy

speedy Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2005
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    James Gardner
    Leather dash was an option which included the armrest in 308's. I'm assuming the same for the 328's handles.
    I find it hard to believe that Ferrari would fit the leather on everything but the handle for those optioned cars. The simulated grain of the vinyl looks totally different from the leather used at the time.

14. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    My car is an '89 328 and it has the optional leather dash. The door pulls, arm rests, and map pockets are in the same matching leather.

Best regards,
    Dino

15. javadog

javadog Karting

Dec 27, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff Roberts
    Full leather was an option. My '86 GTB has everything covered in leather, including the headiner.

JR

16. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Sounds sweet!

My headliner is sagging, and I'd love to find someone who could replace the mediocre fabric that came stock with similar colored leather, as well as the rear sill. (My seats and console are red leather, but the sill and headliner are an off-white/grey fabric.)