328 exhaust leak | FerrariChat

328 exhaust leak

Discussion in '308/328' started by mixedgas, Jul 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mixedgas

mixedgas Karting

Apr 23, 2019
    Ramona, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi there, I have a tick tick tick when the engine is cold, much less pronounced when engine is warmed up. I traced it to the analyzer port using the old "vacuum the exhaust pipe" trick.

Any strong arguments against driving the car like this? There are no fuel or other rubber lines in the vicinity. I'm planning a few hundred mile trip soon, and and hoping I can defer repair until this winter.

Thanks for any thoughts!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Well...it won't hurt anything to drive it in the short term though it will just get worse so it should be repaired as soon as is convenient.

Looking at the pic and the rust/corrosion shown, be prepared for the repair to more complicated than simply unscrewing the fitting and cleaning up the mating surfaces - it might be heavily seized. The pipe or the exhaust fitting itself could break. If so, absent a careful approach, the simple repair could become a genuine PITA! ;) If it is seriously seized, heat is your best friend!

mixedgas likes this.
  3. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Is the leaking tube clamped to an adjacent port? This will help prevent the tube from coming out of its fitting when it fully fails.
    After having issues with my emission exhaust analyzer tubes for rear bank leaking....
    I decided to acquire a new set (done), remove the existing rear tubes and install 110860 stainless plugs and copper washer to seal the rear bank header ports. Ordered from Ferrari dealer (Houston). I used nickel based anti-seize when installed.
    To remove...
    I used multiple applications of PB blaster, time, and heat. I cutoff the leaking tubes and used a socket over the fitting and torque to get it out.
    Even used vise grips and small hammer to get it free from the port. The use of mild steel brake lines for the tubes is the Achilles heel. Brass fitting in a stainless port.
    The ticking can get loud when the cracking worsens. You will be able to hear it clearly while driving.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

mixedgas likes this.
  4. mixedgas

mixedgas Karting

Apr 23, 2019
    Ramona, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for the thoughts and advice! I'm planning to pull the engine this winter (maybe next) and generally clean it up, change seals, clutch, remove/plug the analyzer ports, drive shaft boots, etc. I'll keep an eye (or ear) on this current exhaust tick to make sure it doesn't get much worse but I think I can kick the can down the road on this.

5. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    About 10 years ago one of the sniffer tubes on the front header of my 328 GTS broke off near where it fastens to the header. I noticed it from the noise it was making. It had been eaten through by corrosion. I removed the header (much work) but could not get any of the bolts out. I ended up using my Snap On stuck bolt remover to remove all four of them. I plugged the holes with ordinary bolts.