328 Exhaust Packing | FerrariChat

328 Exhaust Packing

Discussion in '308/328' started by pcord, Aug 23, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pcord

pcord Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    Near Phila, PA
    Full Name:
    Pete C
    This is a pretty obscure question, but does anyone know anything about packing that might have been around the exhaust pipe tips on 328's? If you look at the tips on the inside you'll see the pipe is perforated with holes. I was told by the local service guy there should have been packing around the pipe at those holes and he thought it was odd it wasn't there. Has anyone heard of this or does anyone have the stock exhaust without packing too? Like I said, pretty obsure and honestly I'm not even sure if it matters if it's there or not...

2. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Yep, it's supposed to be there, but it probably gives your car a more throaty sound with it gone. As the 308QVs and 328s age (US models share the same muffler), the packing starts to deteriorate and gives a "chirping" noise like an older VW bug. You've avoided that! But I've never seen a car with it completely *gone*... it must have been intentionally removed (though I don't know how you'd do that).

3. pcord

pcord Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    Near Phila, PA
    Full Name:
    Pete C
    The packing will deteriorate, but you've never seen it all gone? At higher RPM's the car does have that VW bus whistle sound. I'm a little worried. I bought the car with 11.5k miles. Had a PPI done by the technical advisor of F. Club of America. He pronounced it clean as can be (w/ original tires). When I did the major on it I found it had been repainted, though extremely well done (I'm told occasionally they're repainted by FNA upon entry). The guy doing the service found no evidence of welds or accidents, declared the engine nearly new and the car tight. He couldn't figure out why the packing was gone either- his only explanation was that miles would have worn it through. So here I have a car that's been repainted w/ no exhaust packing but declared by two experts to be 100% as good as any 11k mile car out there. I should probably just move on and forget I asked!

4. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Mine has no packing that I can see---36,500 miles

5. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Mine must be going or gone because I've developed the VW Beetle chirping within the last 1,500 miles. I kind of like it though.

6. barbo1

barbo1 Rookie

Aug 21, 2004
    Huntington beach ca.
    Full Name:
    gerald barbisan
    Move on, Put some inserts in the pipe to eliminate the "chirp" Thats what I did and it sounds great. you can make them yourself or purchase from silicon valley auto for $40

7. donald

donald Karting

Aug 11, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Don
    How do you put the inserts in and what type of material did you use to make them? The chirping annoys me!! I did just install a test pipe and Im glad I did. Sounds better.

8. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
  9. donald

donald Karting

Aug 11, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Don
    I checked my exhaust and everything looks good. There is a honeycomb looking insert in each pipe and all look to be in great shape and original. I don't see how replacing these will make a difference on the whistle. Any thoughts?

10. pcord

pcord Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    Near Phila, PA
    Full Name:
    Pete C
    Donald- I have the same thing. The packing is supposed to be around the honeycomb pipe. When I look at my tail pipe there is nothing behind the holes- I think it's the exhaust flowing over these holes at higher rpm's that causes the whistling (is this the same as chirping?).

11. pcord

pcord Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    Near Phila, PA
    Full Name:
    Pete C
    You know, I'm reading more about this issue and one question comes to mind-what is the purpose of the holes in the tailpipe to begin with? Cooling? Increased flow? Does anyone know? I'm considering the inserts, but covering up the holes that engineers put there for a reason has me wondering what they were there for in the first place...

12. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Actually it is to further muffle the exhaust noise because of the packing material behind them, like a silencer on a gun. Putting solid sheet inserts in your tailpipes *might* slightly decrease the flow, but will eliminate the chirp/whistle. I did that for a short while, then did it one better by putting on a Stebro exhaust!!

13. spang308

spang308 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2004
    York, PA
    The packing around the perforated holes in the tailpipe is similar if not exactly the same as that used on two stroke motorcycle exhausts. On them, the silencer tip can be removed and they can be re-packed with fiberglass mat. They get caked with oil/gas and breakdown to the point that they burn and simply blow out the tailpipe.
    Mike is correct that it's there to quiet the exhaust. If it's gone, no big deal. Throw in some stainless inserts to rid yourself of the "beetle syndrome" and move on. FYI, the inserts *should* in theory help flow as opposed to hurting it. Problem solved and better sound for $45 or less. Way cheaper than a Tubi.

pcord,
    Don't sweat it. It happens to all of these cars sooner or later. Sitting for long periods of time may have an effect on whether it's sooner or later. I'm sure your car is as legit as the experts have proclaimed. It's really no big deal.

Enjoy,
    John

14. donald

donald Karting

Aug 11, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Don
    I just installed the inserts myself and the chirping is 100% gone. Took 15 minutes and $6.00 of metal sheeting from Home Depot. I highly recommend it!

15. pcord

pcord Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    Near Phila, PA
    Full Name:
    Pete C
    Donald- what kind of metal sheeting did you use? I'm concerned about rust...

16. donald

donald Karting

Aug 11, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Don
    They sell it in rolls in the roofing section at home depot. I am not exactly sure what it is but I know it is used for flashing on roofs oh houses.