328 expansion valve UK 1989 running R134 | FerrariChat

328 expansion valve UK 1989 running R134

Discussion in '308/328' started by Milkshaker0007, May 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Milkshaker0007

Milkshaker0007 Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have been reading through all the many threads about the AC expansion valve and I'm unable to be 100 percent certain which is the correct part number I require out of the two or is there a Third?

First we have 38611 and most say 308 for R12 system
    Then 38683 (looks like mine?)

So a little background, had my car 6 years now and my AC has never blown out cold air at all, about 4 years back when it was in for a service I asked for them to check it, they said they re charged the system and was all it needed, but weeks later when I finally used it, it never made a slight difference, so like most owners, I'll get around to that later :)

So today I took my car to a highly recommended auto air con guy, this is his sole business, it's all he does, so knows his stuff.
    Now don't you guys get to technical with me as I know nothing about AC.

Just saying what the AC tech said to me.
    When he connected his pipes onto the high and low it was showing I had pressure, that's good news

Then he Vac'd the system and re pressurised the system, with no leaks as held rock steady for ages.

Time to start the car up and switch the AC on to max blow and coldest setting, he checks and nothing is getting Cold, the high line should be freezing to the touch but it's like a tiny bit cool only.

After checking all his pressures and remember he's explaining it to ME in basic terms, the LOW side of the AC doesn't seem to have any pressure so it's not circulating round the in a loop (basic terminology)

So he believes I either have a faulty expansion Valve or a blocked pipe somewhere.

And as it's silly season at the moment with everyone wanting there daily runners fixing we will do it later at my home so I can get both rear/front wheel liners off and spare wheel area accessible.

So I know he can make up any length of AC piping he may need onsite but just covering myself by having an Expansion Valve to hand for him if we need it.

SO WHICH ONE DO I ORDER,
    Removed all that sticky black stuff and took a couple of pictures for your reference.
    Thanks again for your help over the years, it's a great forum because of your knowledge.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
  3. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    FWIW
    38683 is a single signal valve
    38611 is a double signal valve (balance valve)

4. Milkshaker0007

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Looking at my picture and the four seasons on, you can just about see two thermocouples (copper wires)
    One soldered to the very top of the valve and one coming out at the front, WAYMAR says that is a double signal valve type. So maybe it's 38611 ??

I'll try and clean up more of black sticky stuff off and get a better picture up later.
    Thanks again

5. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    Looking at your photo. To me it looks like somebody replaced your valve at one time. Looking where the pigtail from the expansion valve mounts to the exit pipe on the evaporator outlet pipe. There appears to be the previous pigtail cut off. And looks like somebody used a metal band to tie the new pigtail to the pipe. After you get all the black tape off might want to take a look at where that second tube from the expansion valve goes to. The top of the expansion valve tube would be the pigtail that goes to the evaporator outlet clamp. As far as I know there was no balancing circuit on the Ferraris up to 1983. Balancing circuit tube has a screw tight fitting. That would mount to a mating fitting on the outlet side of the evaporator. Not sure ferrari ever had that set up

6. Milkshaker0007

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Once again Wayne thanks for taking the trouble and reply in detail, much appreciated.

If it's been modified then can I ask someone to have a look on there 328 and pop up a picture so I have a comparison and maybe my Air Con Tech can put it back to the original state.
    That would be greatly appreciated
    Cheers all

7. Milkshaker0007

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    So I just managed to clean off enough of that sticky stuff to trace the pigtail that you needed to know about, It goes onto the evaporator outlet pipe FITTING at the rear (see photo) this is the pipe with the clamp securing the pig tales in place.
    So now looking at what I have on my 328 is the exact same part 38611.
    Whether that's correct, we need a Picture from some kind 328 owner to post up please :)

Attached Files:

waymar likes this.
  8. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    Excellent work. Yes I agree from your photos you have a 38611 set up. Maybe the parts diagram shows it better.

9. Milkshaker0007

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes looks good

View attachment 449535

10. Milkshaker0007

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Sorry dont know what happened just
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    Bingo. We are now all the more educated. Thanks for sharing...

12. millsj

millsj Karting

Oct 17, 2011
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I have an '86 328 and I just installed a new expansion valve last week. I haven't charged the system to make sure it works, but it looks like just the picture in parts diagram. The old one is sitting on the work bench and I'll post a pic tonight if I can remember. I got mine from NAPA and I'll take a pic of the box with the part number.

My system was converted to R134 about 10 years ago.

13. Milkshaker0007

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Many thanks, be interested if you can tell us if yours is faulty.

14. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    That's a externally equalized TX valve

15. millsj

millsj Karting

Oct 17, 2011
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    This is the expansion valve that I pulled off my '86 328 last week. I replaced it with a new one from NAPA. Below is a picture of the box with the part number. My system was converted to R134 a couple of years. I'm going to recharge the system with Duracool, but haven't done so yet. I'll report back as to how things are working once it is charged.

16. Milkshaker0007

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks for the feedback Joe, cheers
    Was the copper pig tale the same as your old or was it a curly tail?

Did you find anything faulty with your old unit or are you just updating the AC system as a maintenance project

17. millsj

millsj Karting

Oct 17, 2011
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The new expansion valve had a curly tail and that appears to be the only difference between the two.

The prior owner had the car for 5 years and I have had it for 2 or so. The AC has never worked for either owner. It was converted to R134 two owners ago and I have to assume it worked then. I put gauges on the system and it only had about 10 psi on it, so I have to assume there wasn't enough refrigerant in the system for the compressor to kick on. When I turned the AC on, the fans would run, but nothing from the compressor.

I just replaced the timing belts, so I had the compressor off and figured it was as good of a time as any to address the AC. With the system apart, I was going to replace the dryer and figured I would just replace the expansion valve while I was at it. It's currently filled with 50 psi of nitrogen and holding and I'll leave it that way until I have the Duracool. Fingers crossed it works when recharged.

Milkshaker0007 likes this.
  18. Milkshaker0007

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Let us know how you get on with that Joe, as I'm waiting to do mine at end of year.

Have ordered a new expansion valve and am going to order the Saab 900 dryer unit only as the ones mentioned in the USA don't to be at any UK supplies except at exorbitantly raised prices.
    Saab including limit switch £25 bargain ;-)
    Will post pics when received
    Cheers

19. millsj

millsj Karting

Oct 17, 2011
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Will do, but it may be a couple of weeks. Headed to the track this weekend and then want to wrap up the timing belt project. Started to bleed the coolant system this past weekend, but don't have the car back on the ground yet.

20. Milkshaker0007

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    So have started to attack the system this morning by just removing the Dryer unit, not going to fit anything yet as need to clean out all the lines firstly.
    My SAAB 900 dryer replacement next to old one ( looks like a replacement as well) and just look at the sludge coming out of the old dryer, it feels like fine sandpaper in the oil when rubbed between your fingers.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Milkshaker0007

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Just an update,
    Took the whole air con system apart today bit by bit, pipe by pipe.
    Found the two blockages, the low pressure pipe that attaches onto the expansion valve and the expansion valve itself.
    Have ordered some air con flush and will clean out the system properly before fitting new expansion valve and dryer unit.
    Then will have it pressure tested/Vac'd and new gas pumped in, can't wait to have cool air⛄️

Attached Files:

thorn likes this.
  22. Milkshaker0007

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    hope this helps others out :)

23. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Try blasting Nitrogen through all the hoses..

24. Milkshaker0007

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Update,
    New dryer,new expansion valve, new o rings all round on all hose connectors,
    Using an AC pressurised flush for whole system and a more stronger flavour for the condenser the amount of dirt which came out was a lot.
    Unfortunately I don't have access to Nitrogen in my man cave/shed :) you guys have all the best toys.
    Just had to use what I can, anyway the system is spotless now, just got to get my mate to Vac the system out and test for leaks and recharge in the next few weeks.
    Here are some of the products I used, can highly recommend the Flush, easy DIY.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login