328 fog lights | FerrariChat

328 fog lights

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by brent Lachelt, Nov 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    I have a few of questions regarding fog lights on a 1987 328.

1. The Factory Spare Parts Catalog shows four switches next to each other that contol the fog lights, rear window def., antenna and parking lights. In my catalog it says the LHD US versions has a "Dummy" switch for fog lights. My switch is in place, but nothing is pugged into the back of the switch when removed. The connector that plugs into the switch is absent. The wires are there. but no connector. I'm wondering if the US version's fog lights were only able to work in conjunction with the head lights being on and not separately. This leads me to this question. My fog lights (the ones under the turn indicators) only work with the high beams on. Are they supposed to work with the low beams on and or independantly?

2. Also the left one looks like one of the bulbs is burnt out. How do you remove the fog light assembly? I see how to remove the turn indicator lens, but the fog light has me scratching my head.

Thanks
    Brent

2. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    On my '86 US version (GTB), the fog lights can be switched on/off with just the parking lghts on, with the low beams on or with the high beams on. On my car, the fog light switch is the one all the way to the left of the four switches on the center console. The one all the way to the right I'm pretty sure is for rear fog lights that would of come on a euro car and are not installed on a US car.

3. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    My 87 has a switch for the fog lights, and it's the only way to turn them on. The switch is wired and it works.

4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Mine's like Jim's except of course the switch is in a different slot in the console. The fog lights also come on with the rest of the lights

5. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Mine only come on with the rest of the lights if the switch is on.

6. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

Odd -- but not surprising :D

7. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    It's always been my understanding that fog lights are only supposed to work with low beam headlights. They should not work with high beams, for sure, and they should not work with parking lights only (to avoid using them as driving lights).

That said, I had an '89 Jaguar XJS that had fog lights. They worked with the low beams, the parking lights, or all by themselves (all off of the headlight switch). So go figure. I guess the rules have changed over time.

8. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    My car is in storage now so I'm going by memory, but as I recall you unscrew what you can, namely the turn indicator lense, and you will then have access to the screws that fasten the fog light.

Best!
    Wes

9. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    As of Sat night, my fog lights worked with the parking lights and/or headlights. Never checked about high beams. 89 GTB

Dave

10. Bandit

Bandit Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2003
    Central MS
    Full Name:
    Mike B.
    86 Euro. I have a switch for parking lights and a switch for fog lights. The fog light switch also controls the additional red lights under the rear bumper. The fog lights (front and rear) only work with the low-beam headlights on.

The parking light switch turns on the lower half of the rear tail-lights and the one section of the front parking lights.

It sounds like someone has gone in and wired your fog lights to burn with the high beam lights. The switch should be hooked up and the fog lights should turn on and off with the switch regardless if your car is a Euro or US version.

11. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    My 1989 is identical to this. My far right switch has a big "P" on it and activates the parking light and dashboard indicator when pressed, but will not remain engaged on (might be a bad switch). You have to hold it down. Owners manuel says, "Parking Light Switch". No description for use in the owners manuel.

12. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    My 1987 US version (GTS) works just like Kie's.

13. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Rules? With every car I have ever had you could run the fog lights with parking lights, low beams and high beams.... While what you are saying makes sense...that has never been the conventional way they are set up....at least in North America...

14. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    2. Also the left one looks like one of the bulbs is burnt out. How do you remove the fog light assembly? I see how to remove the turn indicator lens, but the fog light has me scratching my head.

Thanks
    Brent[/QUOTE]

Brent,
    I forget off hand (it's been a while since I upgraded the bulbs),..but there are several threads in the archives on removing the fog lights...do a search.

Dave

15. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    My 1999 BMW 328i (US version) overrides the foglight on high beam. Only on with low beam, not even with parking lights only.

On my 328, do I have a bad Parking light switch since you have to hold it down to stay on? Not a worry, I don't see when I would ever use it. Parking lights work with the headlight stalk just as well.

For removel of the foglights, search the old board. There were two or three posts on where the screws are.

"Posted on Friday, March 08, 2002 - 10:49 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If I remember... There are two screws that you reach thru the grill to unscrew. Then you have to pop out the complete fixture from the car. There is at least one (maybe two) "Ball & Socket" (plastic)joint(s), that snap apart when you pry or pull on it. You will have to pull hard to snap them apart! If you look between the grill, you should be able to see this connection."

AND

" Posted on Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 11:38 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Remove the 2 screws from your turn signals, take lenses out
    You will see 2 larger flat head screws above the fog light in the turn signal area, remove those and gently pull the complete assembly out, there are 2 snap fittings that hold the fog/turn assembly in place on the bottom

The bulbs are held in place with a wire clip"

16. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    Both fog lights work on high beam only. The left one was pulled back alittle from the unit, but was on. I was able to remove the fog lights after a thread search and secure it back into it's place. The problem still exists that there is no plug going into the fog light switch. It has been cut off. The four wires are there, but no plug. I wonder if I can get just that plug that contects into the switch. I don't need the harness. Also wonder if I get the plug and connect it to the switch again if the fogs will work on low beam. For those whose fog lights work, do you just turn on your head lights and they come on automaticly or do you need the fog light switch on in addition to the head lights to get them both to work?

17. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Fog lights come on with switch depressed with parking lights, low beam and high beam. Foglights go off with switch off, or headlights and parking lights off.

18. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    Also on inspection the switch that controls the fog lights is in bad shape. It has melted some on the bottom and one of the terminals is loose. I guess that why the plug has been cut off. Probabley melted too. Will get a new switch and continue. Or maybe the other switches are interchangeable and I can test the system?

19. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    So if I'm understanding you correctly Tillman it sounds like the fog lights can come on with the headlights even with the fog light switch off. Is that correct? The reason I ask is I have a disconnected fog light switch, but the fog lights still come on when the high beams are on, but not the low beams. Sounds like my problem at this point in addition to the switch being in op is why they won't come on when the low beams are on?

20. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    Jim,I'm wondering why my fog lights come on with the high beams and I have a disconnected fog light switch? Strange.

21. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I doubt you even need the plug...just some insulated female spade terminals to push on....

22. KurtK328

KurtK328 Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2001
    Villeneuve-Loubet, France
    Full Name:
    Kurt Kjelgaard
    Brent,

Someone obviously wanted more light output when using the high beams
    and modified the electrical system in a most unorthodox way.
    Probably illegal too.
    In Europe you are not allowed to use foglights unless you are driving in fog, don't know the rules in the US.
    Reason is that the fog lights due to their beam geometry can be very blinding for opposite traffic.
    I think you should trace and correct the modification. I would suspect that the fog lights are connected in parallel with the high beams somewhere in the front of the car.
    If the foglights are being fed from the high beam circuit, extra load will be on that circuit with all the complcations that can bring (overheating of wires or terminals).

Kurt

23. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    Dave,
    Exactly! Last night while lying in bed thinking about this, I realized that too. But what I don't know is of these four cut wires, which ones go to which terminals on the back of the switch?

24. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    Kurt,

I 'm beginning to think this is the case. In a correct operating 328 the fogs apparently work on high or low beams, but the fog light switch needs to be on. In this case I think it was wired so they came on automatically when the high beams are on. This may have been done since there was an in op fog light switch. The reason why the plug was cut off was because there was some kind of problem with the system as the bottom of the fog light switch has been melted. This is my guess. Will be ordering a new switch today to continue the process. It may take a while to resolve this, but I'm confident that with everyone's help this too will get resolved. I think that's why I like these older Ferrari's. Your always chasing down something. Keeps me busy and my brain working. Kinda like gardening with grease instead of dirt.

Kent Dellenbusch likes this.
  25. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Should be easy enough to figure out with a test light or multi-meter. I think it is three wires....two are hot, one is neuteral. One of the hot comes on with the parking/headlights (to illuminate the switch icon), the other is the hot to operate the fog lights themselves.

Dave