328 Fuel Hose Replacement | FerrariChat

328 Fuel Hose Replacement

Discussion in '308/328' started by Yippee! It's a Ferrari!, Mar 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Yippee! It's a Ferrari!

Feb 20, 2013
    W. Burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Lew
    I have a fuel leak from somewhere on the passenger side of my 1988 328 GTS near that sides fuel tank. Liquid being what it is, the leak could be elsewhere and running to the lowest point, but I am making an educated guess that the culprit will be the hose and or its connection between the left and right tanks. During pre-purchase inspection, the mechanic mentioned that I should think about replacing that hose. That was four years ago.

I search of the threads in FChat did not reveal anything in 3X8's. Before I dig into this, does anyone have previous experience in this area? Any guidance would be appreciated.

I know, best not to work by candlelight for this task.

2. pad

pad Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Delatush
    Your car is 30 years old. I would strongly suggest you consider replacing ALL the fuel related hoses including the filler neck and vapor hoses. It's a project, but well worth it. I did the job 2 years ago on my '86 328. I used Gates hoses. However, I believe someone is selling a complete hose kit which will make the job much easier.

3. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    In for a penny, in for a pound.

Replace them all; rubber and plastic.

4. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    If you're a DIY'er David Feinberg (fchat user fastradio) sells a kit, in addition to which SRI offers silicone upgrades for replacing the filler neck and two hoses on the lower crossover pipe between tanks. If you're getting liquid fuel on the passenger side, most likely the lower crosspipe connector hose is going, as the upper hoses between tanks carry vapors. But yes, if you're doing one, you may as well do them all.

5. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    There are lots of threads on the subject as fuel hose leakage is one of the major (and infamous) maintenance vulnerabilities of the 3x8. Try different search terms.

It is important that you not drive your car again until the fuel leak is fixed. A leaking tank crossover hose can lead to a full blown fuel fire and a total write-off of the car. If you want to scare yourself into action, another search you can do is on YouTube for 3x8 fuel fires.

The cars are just fine with maintenance of the fuel hoses, neglect leads to tragedy.

6. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    See if you can tighten up the clamps on the between tank hose, and the one from the filler. Might just be loose.

But of course with age these key hoses should be renewed, SRI for these critical ones makes sense. All fuel hoses should be renewed, the engine bay is a hot place in a mid engine car, at the least tighten all the hoses clamps up and inspect visually carefully. Although a hose typically will fail from the inside out, so age is the main factor to warrant replacement.

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    All those fuel rated hoses can be bought from Napa, including the 5/8 inch one.

8. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    I replaced all of my rubber fuel lines on my 328 a few years ago. It is easier if you remove the deck lid and make sure you remove any potential sparks in the garage. :) I disconnected my battery and turned off my gas water heater just to be safe. Also cut off the lines, don't try and twist them off or you may end up breaking one of the delicate nipples on top of the tanks.

9. pad

pad Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Delatush
    If possible, remove the gas from the tanks outside. I know of a shop in NJ that burned to the ground because the "mechanic" was draining old gas from a Lambo inside the shop on a hot, muggy day. Remember, it's the fumes, not the liquid gas, that ignite.