328 GTB or GTS | FerrariChat

328 GTB or GTS

Discussion in '308/328' started by Rossocorsa1, Jul 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    #1 Rossocorsa1, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    Which do you prefer and why?

2. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I've had both and definitely prefer the GTB.

I like the look more, and it's a much more solid feeling car.

3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I have both, together since January 2011; same cars, GTS built on Feb 25, 1989; GTB on April 5th, 1989. They are so different that it actually make no sense to compare these: they do not serve the same purpose.

Rgds

4. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    I have to say, if you like the idea of a convertible (assuming you live someplace where you can enjoy motoring with the top down), the targa setup is infinitely more comfortable and practical than the drop top. For one thing, you don't get buffeted by wind etc. so you don't need to take a shower every time you drive the car. And if you roll over your head does not get ground down. Having said that, I have not owned a GTB (well I did own a GT4) and I agree the look is "cleaner". Having the targa painted body color mitigates that.

Bottom line the marketplace says the GTB is more desirable .. people are willing to pay more money for that version. Can't argue with that.

5. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Nerofer is right, they drive very different. You'll hear people tell you that the B only matters on a track (like this is important for a classic!) This is BS. You can tell the difference in the first 50 feet. It's that obvious.

Dave

6. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I've always loved the practicality of having both a targa top for open summer cruising with the ability to have a snug closed roof on the colder days. The GTS is the only one for me.

7. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Gtb are worth more in the US.

Owned a 328 gts.

Would likely buy a gtb in the future over a gts based on the window frame closeness to your head with the top off. Likely knock your head off in an accident.

Robb

8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    True. As driving machines, they are very différent: being stiffer, the GTB is sharper and more precise, and it is telling on any road. The GTS has other arguments for other pleasures, but as a driving machine, the GTB wins hands down.
    Rgds

9. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    GTS for sure for me.
    I had a 308 years ago and owned it for about 6 years.
    The top was very rarely on that car, even in the winter I would leave it out.
    Now I have a 328 and I suspect it will be the same.
    The cars aren't fast at all but I will say fast enough to be fun.
    To me the top out adds the the experience, the sound, smells etc and thus the fun of the ride.
    I do think the GTB is better looking with the clean lines.
    I'm not saying the GTS is better, just better for me.

10. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    GTS, of course! Thomas Magnum didn't drive around in no stinking' GTB!

As far as appearance, IMO the B is prettier when the S has it's top on; the S is prettier when it has it's top off.

Jason Wells likes this.
  11. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes, both unique, both are great !

12. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    I had a 308GTB and own today a 328GTS. I absolutely go for the open GTS for the same reasons that they are sold in larger numbers. The fun and different feeling of driving open.
    Yes, the GTB is a little, but just a little stiffer since the GTS is really more solid than other open cars. In case the 328 would be a car with a lot more power - instead of a great classic - the somewhat higher stiffness might be an issue.
    The looks: yes the GTB is even nicer but to me not enough to compensate for driving open.

By the way the 20 year old discussion of GTB's being or becomming more expensive than GTS have been words mostly. In Europe a GTB is not more expensive despite it being clearly more rare. Just buy what you prefer.

13. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    GTS for me! You just can't describe the feeling of driving a GTS in a warm California Summer day with the targa off along the Pacific coast, You feel close to the car, you can hear exhaust, the air blowing you hair, the sunshine on you, I'm pretty out door guy so I ride motorcycle, bicycle, and love the sun...for GTB I have my Nissan Z with working AC LOL

14. Falcon

Falcon Formula 3

Aug 19, 2008
    New England Region
    Full Name:
    Falcon
    #14 Falcon, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    GTS. An open vehicle is more pleasurable and that is this Ferraris purpose. Negative comments are made by some individuals on the appearance of the GTSs roof, but it should never be seen. It should only be used for storage or rain, otherwise it should be permanently secured behind the seats. A topless GTS is just as visually appealing as a GTB and a lot more fun.

15. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    GTB is THE 328 to own. For me it's hardtop or convertible not a mix of both. I now consider the 328 GTB concave wheels as one of the nicest Ferrari ever.

16. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    You know, in reality the sales figures pretty clearly show which one people like the best. There's really no need for a "discussion" if the question is which one is the most popular.

If it's a question of, "which one should I buy?" The answer, is, of course, "Whichever one YOU like!" What anybody else thinks should have no bearing whatsoever. If it does, then as everybody's mom used to say when you tried justify stuff because your friends liked it or did it ..."So if your friends decide to jump off a cliff, are you going to do that too? ;)

17. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I think a GTB says "look at my beauty", whereas the GTS screams "let's go driving, now!"

18. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I've owned a GTS and now a GTB. As others have stated, I couldn't believe the handling difference when I got in the GTB. It's really a big difference. Also better looking and very rare here in the USA. The A/C can be made to work too. You'll need it !!!

19. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Thanks Nero.

I've never driven a GTS but when describing how my GTB feels, I too would use the word "precise" and I would add, easy to point and to direct. Even though the car tends towards understeer.

I liked the lines of the GTB and I liked how it was different than what was "commonly" out there. However, these days, 328's of both types seem to be rare sights.

Yes, buy what you like.

-F

20. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    And it Is really telling when you drive one just after the other, like I did today. Life is good...
    Rgds

21. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
  22. petesamsonite

petesamsonite Karting

Jul 11, 2013
    If you want a comfortable machine buy a Mercedes o Rolls, always GTB

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

23. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I've owned both a GTS and a GTB. There really isn't a comparison. The B is an all around better car for multiple reasons.

First, as others have said, the B is simply tighter. There are no rattles or body flex when going over a bump in the road. I never tracked it but I suspect the body would roll better because of the hardtop.

Another difference is the AC. My GTS struggled to keep up with the hot South Florida weather but the GTB coped with it. I suspect it has to do with better insulation in the hardtop. Also because the black roof of the GTS is a huge heat sink, while the GTB is body colored.

I never missed the pop off roof when I went from the GTS to the GTB.

24. BO67

BO67 Karting

Oct 11, 2016
    Faraway soclose here
    Full Name:
    Its me
    GTB

Thats why i sold most of our Collection but kept the 328GTB with 11.000 miles

Thats one of the most beautiful Machines i think.
    Ist a Ferrari with the most Classic Line . And a Timepiece/Masterpiece in Design..

25. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I wish I had a GTB... while I like the GTS, more and more its rare that I drive with the top off, its so hot... and the chassis flex is terrible.... Mine is all black, so the roof does not stand out so much, but still the GTB is prettier...