328 GTS broke down, left on side of H1 East heading towards Waikiki. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

328 GTS broke down, left on side of H1 East heading towards Waikiki.

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by Doc_K, Nov 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #26 sowest, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Now watch, in the next couple of weeks some total buffoon will start yet another thread saying he has never heard of a belt breaking and replacing belts is a rip off.

I just finished one myself.

3. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #28 sowest, Feb 3, 2016
    I will post this query in the 308 section, but I will put it here too in case someone that has been looking at this thread has some knowledge of this turbo conversion. I would very much like to find a new or undamaged exhaust manifold. It is for the right hand (rear) bank.

I have talked to a very skilled local machinist and he was not encouraging about a lasting repair. He recommended fabricating one out of steel. This would stretch the owner's tolerance for financial pain and I fear that the job would "stall" in the machine shop.

Any lead would be appreciated.

I have talked with GT Car Parts.

Thanks and Aloha
    Larry
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Prancing Horse out of the San Francisco Bay Area. Ancient history. I tossed a number of them in the dumpster. Best place for them.

I made a lot of money taking that junk off of cars and putting them back stock. Every owner thought I walked on water for being able to make their car right again.

5. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi Brian

Thank you very much for the reply and the information. I have strongly recommended to the owner that we put the car back to stock. He does see my point, but he is very reluctant to give up the added power of the turbos.

In fairness to the conversion, it has worked very well for a very long time. I have known this car for at least twenty years.

Aloha
    Larry

6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    They did if not used hard. A lot of motors lost their lives though.

7. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Honolulu - Seattle - Okinawa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Shouldn't a skilled exhausts fab guy be able to replicate something like this for a reasonable sum? I'm not real familiar with the tuner shops on Oahu, but on the mainland stuff like this is custom made all the time for turbo builds on imports.

Larry, are you aware of the shops around town that could do such a fabrication?

8. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    A good machine shop should be able to repair that manifold. Based off of the other cracks and weld mark, it looks like that unit might be poorly made and not worth repairing. This is a good time to switch over to a tubular header; drop weight, gain power and increase sound. Thermally coat it to reduce engine bay temps and get quicker spool.

9. pad

pad Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Delatush
    #34 pad, Feb 5, 2016
    Larry,
    I have the twin turbo manifolds and related parts sitting in a box. I was going to install them on my 308 QV, but never got around to it. Let me know if you are interested.
    PM sent with list of parts, etc.

-Paul

10. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi

Steve and "white out" thank you for your thoughts and input. I have been looking into various options, including returning the car to stock. I do know a local machinist that is very good. He is also busy and I worry about a job like this that is out of the norm getting put off and put off.

It looks like "pad" has what I need. Pad, I have replied to your PM.

Thanks all

Larry