328 GTS Fire!!! Serious Help needed | Page 2 | FerrariChat

328 GTS Fire!!! Serious Help needed

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by slong, Feb 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Rob, this part that needs to be updated...does it apply to all 328's or just the earlier models?

And a question to all...When my "slow down" light starts blinking, I continue to drive "normally;" I meant, I cruise (usually on the highway) without over- or underreving. Then a few minutes later, the warning light stops. Is my car okay?

Great informative thread. Thanks Slong for letting us know. Good to know that your damage was minimal.

Ron

2. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    Rob,

Are you talking of the service bulletin No 10-18 dated 4/20/87?
    If so, how can I wnow if it has been applied to my Euro spec 1986 328?

Ciao

Eugenio

3. SR Ferrari

SR Ferrari Rookie

Dec 1, 2003
    HelloSLong.
    Make sure you don,t have an ignition moduel failure this is a common bank dropper.
    Kind Regards
    wayne Hynes.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Also for Ron328, I think Ferrari keeps records of any updates to your car if they were done at a dealer. Especially the recall stuff.

I think they corrected it within the 328 model run (prob the service bulletin above), but I don't know for sure. Mine is a 1986 and it hadn't been done.

5. st.tully

st.tully Karting

Jan 29, 2004
    Gents - This thread gives me more than a fright being a new Ferrari owner (328). Pardon the simple question. I have the stock exhaust and want to use test pipes - what brand do you all suggest? And is this a simple install?
    Cheers, st.tully

6. slong

slong Rookie

Feb 14, 2004
    #31 slong, Feb 18, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Enclosed is a photo take of my 328 GTS (1989) after the fire...notice the dirt...aka my fire extinquisher. Thank you all for the education. The car is in the expert hands of IFS mechanics and then off to the body shop on Cape Cod. She should be ready to be enjoyed once agin by Spring.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

I put the Stebro "euro resonator" on my US spec 328 GTS. It was a straight bolt-on. I had my mechanic put it on because he was going to be retuning the car anyway, but it really was a matter of a few bolts.

http://www.stebro.net/

8. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
    To give an example of test pipe vs. cat temps, when I drove from Colorado to Las Vegas with Cats, the trunk was so hot it melted the paint on a toothpaste tube;

w/out Cats, trunk barely gets warm.

Your Digiplexes are in the trunk, and heat is the kiss of death for electronics.

Removing Cats may or maynot help prevent fires due to bank death, but it WILL keep your toothpaste cool and your Digiplex alive!

9. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Slong,
    So sorry to hear about the fire. Man, what a bummer. It's good to hear that it is repairable. It just sucks SO bad when something like this happens. (I got a measely dent in my 308 last spring only a few weeks after getting it and I was hysterical for 3 weeks until it was fixed!)

Let this be a lesson to us all to carry a fire extinguisher! I went out and bought one the other day! Dirt is only going to get you so far!

Oh yeah, and all you 308 guys, change those ancient fuel lines!

Birdman

10. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    The rear bumper cover is fibreglass on the 328 and when the exhaust muffler or cat get hot enough they will burn it down. I have repaired three over the years, last one was over $12K about 4 years back. even without the cat, the muffler can get red hot when filled with raw fuel from a coil failure or such. Those sensors and slow down lights serve a very useful purpose!