328 gts poor idle | FerrariChat

328 gts poor idle

Discussion in '308/328' started by antmaggio, Dec 8, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. antmaggio

antmaggio Karting

Aug 19, 2009
    canada
    Full Name:
    Anthony Maggio
    Hi ! I have a 1988 328 gts in the shop today, it idles slow with virtually no throttle response and a rough uneven idle. I've cleaned the throttle body which was quite nasty looking. the plugs are slightly black but not completely fouled . depressing the air valve just slightly picks up the rpm but the throttle response is still not there till past 3000 rpm. any ideas ? the car has about 20000 miles with the same owner since virtually new.

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    #2 yelcab, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
    I went through this same issue with my 328 this year. Idle at 500RPM, no response at all with throttle (embarassing crawling through the red line).

Here is what I had:

nunber 7 cylider dead due to a bad plug extender (measured infinite ohms)
    Number 1 wire hardened to stone: 20 years old wire sitting next to the exhaust header will do that
    1 cracked dizzy cap (although I am not sure that was the actual cause)

My remedy: 8 new cheap copper plugs (they will try to sell you the $40 ones, forget that). One set of wires I made up with supplies bought from Kingsborne. This is good for DIY but the shop mechanic will not spend time making wires up, it costs the same as buying a set.
    One dizzy cap from Ricambi

Then it is now happy again ... until this week when the passenger door sticks a bit and the driver door jolts loose over big bumps. Life is never ending with Ferraris.

3. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    #3 FasterIsBetter, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
    I had a similar situation with a Mondial QV that I owned. It had run fine, then started idling at 500 rpm and no power. Turned out that the front bank had dropped out on me, bad plug wires. I changed all the wires, front and rear and coil wires, as well as the plugs and extenders, and the car went back to running like a charm.

IMHO, rather than plain old copper plugs, I'd go for the NGK Iridium plugs. I'm running them in my '86 328 and they work great!

BTW, it was easy to check with an inductive timing light. The rear bank was firing just fine. The front bank wasn't even there at all.

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I had no problem paying $4-$5 a plug, but the Iridium plug was north of $25 each. Of course, they are "meant" to last 100,000 miles. Well, a new set of copper plugs every year is fine with me.

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    At $25 each, I wouldn't use NGK EIX either ;) -- I get mine for ~$7 each from my local autoparts store.

308 milano likes this.
  6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The good old days: gas was $1, a can of oil was $1, a spark plug was $1, and a radio (not stereo) has the DIN standard opening.

7. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    Have you checked the operation of the frequency valve? What you're describing sounds pretty similar to what happened when mine stopped working. All it needed was a jiggle at the relay to get it going again.

It should be vibrating or buzzing when operating, which you can check by putting a finger on it.

8. antmaggio

antmaggio Karting

Aug 19, 2009
    canada
    Full Name:
    Anthony Maggio
    Ok great, where is this frequency valve and what exactly does it do ?

9. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Ditto. In fact, sometimes Pep Boys or Strauss Auto around here has them on sale for about $5/ea. I never heard of them being $25, at least not the NGK's.

308 milano likes this.
  10. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    #10 FamilyCar, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have an '87 Mondial, so I'm assuming they are the same which is usually a mistake.

If you are standing behind the car and looking at the fuel distributor, it is at about 10.30 on the clock. That is, it is directly between the air intake hose and the top (front) of the fuel distributor. It has a wiring connection toward the back of the car, and a single hard formed line coming out the top. There has to be a photo of one here somewhere, I'll look in a minute.

It controls fuel metering, I believe related to idle/emissions controls, but I'm not much clearer than that. I believe they are frequently a problem, though.

OK, here's a diagram. It's part #26. That's an exploded view, so it's really behind the fuel distributor if you were looking at it from this angle. I have no idea where the relay that controls it is mounted in a 328--it's in the trunk of a Mondial.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. antmaggio

antmaggio Karting

Aug 19, 2009
    canada
    Full Name:
    Anthony Maggio
    The good old days involved a rectangular opening and two 3/8 holes for knobs for a radio, thanks for all your help everyone !

12. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    So have you solved it?

13. t3thomas

t3thomas Formula Junior

May 9, 2008
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    GThomas
    Clogged intake screen on the WUR.

14. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I vote for bad relay (protection relay) for frequency valve. Mine would do it intermittently. Nearly drove me nuts until the relay dropped out altogether. Then I found it when I noticed the FV was not vibrating.

15. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Great diagram.
    Thanks

16. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Same here - new wires, extenders, plugs, caps, fuel injector cleaner, etc. Relay in the right lower trunk, replaced and good to go. All the other changes made the car a little better once the real problem was solved.

The OP said it idles slow with virtually no throttle response. A bad wire, plug, or extender doesn't seem to create this much disturbance, unless a bunch failed at the same time. The bad frequency valve condition is obvious at low RPMs and is more masked at higher RPMs (but still there), so I would go with the frequency valve relay, which is a bigger effect on idle and performance.

17. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "The good old days: gas was $1"

Those were the mediocre old days! In the REAL good old days (60's Muscle car era until the Arab oil embargo in '73) it was 33c a gallon for premium unless there was a gas war going on between service stations, then it was 26-28c for premium and they gave away free drinking glasses with a fillup.

I never filled up because no self respecting street racer would EVER have more than 1/4 tank of gas in the car. ;)

18. forrest1

forrest1 Karting

Jan 8, 2011
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Forrest
    I had this same experience: intermittent problem with the frequency valve not buzzing, the car running like crap, and it drove me nuts, too. Never did find a failed component, but just working through the system seemed to fix it temporarily, several times.
    I finally concluded that it must be a loose or oxidized plug fitting somewhere; those tinned pins are only good for so many plug-unplug cycles, and the mating surfaces tend to oxidize over time.
    So I applied a small dab of Krytox contact grease (Loctite Dupont Krytox RFE PFPE Lubricant 2oz 29710; Ebay, $18) to all the engine harness and ECU plug pins, to prevent oxidation. Since then, I have had no more problems in 1000+ miles.

19. Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck Karting

Sep 11, 2011
    Newmarket Ontario
    Full Name:
    John
    I had a similar situation way back in '77 with - of all cars - a 1973 Triumph Spitfire! Couldn't accelerate. It was a cracked distributor cap...just as you have eluded to. Not saying that the ugly British electrics of that day were anything like Ferrari's electrics a decade or so later, but maybe the same situation has occured here?

20. dunnowhatdunno

Mar 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    philip birdsall
    Absolute first time finger to phone. Very interesting to read the various responses. Now my 1986 built 328 aust delivered rhd us stats goes like it's running late so it goes and stops in a hurry but when I go to put it at any angle (other than level) to park it at very low revs, OH NO it SAYS, i want
    to stall. I'm sure it's telling me it's in charge, a bit like my partner.
    I'm going to check the voltage from the freq valve relay thanks to the comments on FC. Anyone had this issue.
    Reg dunnowhatdunno
    Regar

21. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Philip, start a different Frequency Valve thread.