328 Head Rests Stuck | FerrariChat

328 Head Rests Stuck

Discussion in '308/328' started by wilkie, Jun 5, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wilkie

wilkie Karting

Apr 15, 2005
    L.A., CA
    Full Name:
    Wilkie Cheong
    One of my headrests is up, and the other is down. I've never tried to adjust them in all the years I've had the car, but did so recently, and they wouldn't budge. Any tips or secrets to get them loosened? Thanks.

2. Easyrider7467

Easyrider7467 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2005
    Northen N.J.
    Full Name:
    John
    Hello Wilkie,
    Yes raising could be a challenge for headrest that have never been moved before.
    If you have a GTS, remove the roof. Try taking a t-shirt or a towel and wedge it underneath the headrest between the posts.
    So that one half is on both sides. Essentially, cradling the headset when you lift each side of the shirt/towel. Then while gripping the each side of the shirt/towel cradling the headrest, lift up....

Good luck...

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I had two stuck all the way down.....you spray a lubricant like silicone spray down the shafts, then knock them left and right (side to side) as you look at them on the seat.

That rocking motion is what let mine free up and raise.

Good luck!

4. wilkie

wilkie Karting

Apr 15, 2005
    L.A., CA
    Full Name:
    Wilkie Cheong
    Thanks for the tips, guys. Maybe a combination of the towel trick and lubricant will do the trick.

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I was about to drive 12 hours home.....they were going to have to move!! LOL!

A Harley dealer loaned me some spray......

6. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
  7. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Huh....

In 18 years I've never ever tried to move mine up or down. They have always been fully down since I bought the car ----- I did not even know they were moveable :p ! I'm gonna go out to the garage right now and try to raise them :).

8. wilkie

wilkie Karting

Apr 15, 2005
    L.A., CA
    Full Name:
    Wilkie Cheong
    I'd be very surprised if they budge for you, without a lot of effort or following some of the tips suggested above.

9. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #9 finnerty, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
    Yep, sure enough they are both completely stuck as can be in the down position.

I think I will just leave them alone as I have no need to have them raised (I'm only 5'11") ---- and, I don't need any other car-related "projects" right now ;):). It does not bother me. Down the road, when it comes time to have the seat leather re-done, I will deal with it then :).

10. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Use a plastic friendly lubricant. WD40 isn't really a lubricant & can damage plastic. Also it leaes a sticky wax residue. The residue is great for preventing rust, but can gum other things up.

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Yep, the reason for me searching out a solicone.......

12. Easyrider7467

Easyrider7467 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2005
    Northen N.J.
    Full Name:
    John
    Once you first get em free you'll be able to move them over and over again. At least that's my experience. They stay tight but moveable.

13. jk328

jk328 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I tried the small amount of wd-40 and light banging side to side and my stuck right headrest freed up! I noticed some corrosion around the post top so I burnished this down and added slightly more lubricant and the headrest moves well now!!
    Thanks for the tips, they worked well. The headrest had been stuck pretty firmly before.