328 - Ignition Loss on One Bank | FerrariChat

328 - Ignition Loss on One Bank

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by kgoy, Dec 10, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kgoy

kgoy Rookie

Jan 20, 2004
    Houston, TX, USA
    A couple of weeks back, I had been driving around for around an hour with no problems. I shut down the engine for around 5 minutes and then re-started with no problems. Upon accelerating, I noticed a severe loss of power and an audible "poof poof" sound (found to be coming from the passenger side exhaust).

I limped her back home (I know! But the cat light did not come on, so I just sort of went REAL slow as I wasn't far away...).

Upon getting the opportunity to do some troubleshooting this morning, I have discovered the following:

1. Engine starts normally.

2. No ignition on the far bank of cylinders (closest to the passenger compartment). This was verified by a timing light. Engine actually sounds rather normal at idle (with only a faint "poof poof" sound").

3. Swapped the red ignition wires coming from the coils. Car was difficult to start, and when it did sounded really off... Checked ignition with timing light and far bank of the engine was still out. Rechecked that the coil wires were snug and started the engine again with same results.

I guess the checks above are pointing me back towards the rotor? Could there be something else I am not taking into account?

My main question... If the problem is the rotor, I have no experience in this specific department (although I am mechanically very savvy, so I am not too concerned...). Is changing a rotor much of a challenge for a first timer? Are there concerns I should be aware of (upsetting the timing, etc)?

I have done much of the work since owning her such as brakes, fluid changes and general maintenance and I truly desire to use these opportunities to learn as much about this car as possible before taking to the dealer.

The 15K service (at 13,000 miles) was done on her back in 2001... approx. 4000 miles ago). Items replaced then were the plugs, coil wires, plug wires and corrosion was cleaned from the distributor caps...

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Kevin

2. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    The only challenging part of replacing the rotor (if this is the problem) is the cost. Rotors and distributor caps are outrageously priced on these cars.

3. SYake

SYake Karting

May 15, 2005
    NoVA
    This sounds similar to a problem I had with my 328 a few years ago. The dealership took a couple days to diagnosis the problem. End result was a short in the wire harness going to the crankshaft postion sensor. During the problem solving, it appeared at one point one bank wasn't firing and the problem eventually toasted a coil. I would recommend pulling out the rather short sensor harness and check it's continuity. The harness is about 1 foot long, white, and located at the driver's side of the engine, next to the oil cooler.

4. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Did you try swapping the coils over to see if the non-firing bank switches ?

5. kgoy

kgoy Rookie

Jan 20, 2004
    Houston, TX, USA
    Yup... As per #3 in my original post, I swapped the red coil wires, effectively swapping the coils and the problem remain rooted to the same bank...

Planning to check the sensor wire as noted above... Man... the far end of that baby is not easy to get to....

Kevin

6. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    When you swap coils, you must swap all the wires attached to it. Otherwise, you have it firing as if it were still attached to the other bank, hence timing no where near correct. This problem is likely related to a flywheel sensor or associated wiring as noted above.

Dave

7. kgoy

kgoy Rookie

Jan 20, 2004
    Houston, TX, USA
    Dave,

Thanks for your input! I was unaware that ALL wiring had to change in order to truly 'swap over'. That explains why the car seemed to be a completely different beast when I did it my way.... I didn't understand how a coil alone could cause what was obviously a timing issue...

Will give that another go to eliminate properly...

You agree it is most likely a sensor issue and not a rotor issue?

Thanks for all of your assistance!

Kevin

8. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    I experienced the same thing with an '85 308. It turned out to be one of the flywheel sensors.

Hardtop is absolutely right--don't just switch the coil wires from coil to coil . Essentially, you're throwning the timing out about 180 degrees in doing that! If you want to see if it's the coil wires, you need to disconnect them from their respective dist caps and the coils. To test the coils , they must be completely switched, including their respective input wires.

Another thing to check is the bulkhead connectior which connects the wires from the Digiplex to the engine wiring harness. On 308's they can become dirty and corroded, making for poor electrical flow to the engine ignition wiring. I'm not sure where that's located on a 328. On my old 308, it was under the expansion tank and next to the oil cooler .

In correcting the problem, be sure to replace the plugs. The old ones are likey glazed and won't fire well--if at all. So, you might correct the spark issue, but with the damaged plugs, you'll never know as they would fire anyway!

Good luck.

9. ctkellett

ctkellett Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Havertown PA
    Full Name:
    Chris K.
    I had the same problem with my 85 Mondial QV this past fall, same bank and it died in the same manor. I swapped coils, wires, Crank sensors, Digiplex units and dist caps trying to get the problem to follow the part. As it turns out it was a bad rotor (not that bad in price when you look at the cost of a cap), It ohm'ed out fine but it was arching the spark to the distributor base, you could hear it if you listened closely. If you are checking the sensor you can test them without taking them out just follow the cables back to the connector, both banks will be in a bundle on the left of the bellhousing. If it is the front bank you are in luck as that is the easiest to get to and replace. After you trace it down do not forget to dry out the plugs and change the motor oil and filter as the front bank is fuel washed as well as the oil. Good luck!

All the best,

Chris

10. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It could be a rotor/cap issue but I think you would have had some warning with poor running before complete failure.

Good luck,
    Dave

11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It cannot be a crank sensor issue because the 3.2 motor has microplex ignition whitch utilizes a single ECU with a single TDC and RPM sensor. If either sensor packs it in, game over.

Ignition rotor is a possibility but the design was changed to rectify that problem. Coil wire is a possibility. To test remove coil wires from caps and switch coil wires only, bank to bank.

But if you want to save time, swap coils and see what happens. 99 times out of a hundred it is a transistor module on the coil.

On the microplex system one coil sends a signal to the fuel pump circut to run the pump. If you install the bad coil on that bank the motor will not run.

12. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Same probem a few years back on my 84 Mondial, Flywheel sensor for the front bank failed, took me ages to find it, the problem that is, changing the sensor can be a bit of a pain. As I recall, the replacement came off a Lancia !

13. carlrose

carlrose Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Hi Kevin,

After reading who already answered above, not sure I can add much to this discussion except:

1. Have you actually removed the distributor cap & inspected the cap/rotor assemblies? The seal can leak oil & cap can fracture, but otherwise likely will find a bit of corrosion.

2. You can remove & test the ignition module (black rectangle on top of coil) at Autozone; make sure they connect the proper tester harness. It's held in place by screws & a dab of dielectric grease underneath. New replacements are about $80-100.

Best,

Carl

14. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Read Brians post..this is the most common reason for a bank failure on a 328.

15. kgoy

kgoy Rookie

Jan 20, 2004
    Houston, TX, USA
    All,

In looking at the wiring diagrams, I see exactly Brian's point... Only one TDC sensor and only one RPM sensor... This must be what is on the other end of the white harnesses that are bundled together on the top left side of the engine.

OK... I am heading out to COMPLETELY swap out the coils to verify if this is the problem....

Stay tuned....

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts... I am quickly learning the error of my ways as I progress through this... I only hope at the end of the day it is one of the parts I can get easily get to!

Kevin

16. kgoy

kgoy Rookie

Jan 20, 2004
    Houston, TX, USA
    Had the chance tonight to do a complete swapover on the coil/ignition control modules...

Changed over ALL connections from one coil to the other (including ignition control module connection).

Fired up the engine (with no problems) and the SAME bank is still out.

Timing light shows all rear bank cylinders firing OK (with confirmation on coil wire).

No ignition on bank closest to fire wall (as previously). Timing light confirms NO fire on coil wire going to this bank.

So... It would appear that the coils and ICM's are OK...

BTW, I did take both components to AutoZone and while they claim they test ICM's, this particular store did not have the eqpt for this. They mentioned that PepBoys may be able to help. I went there and they were not able to test for any European ICM's. They took a guess and connected mine up to their tester and both showed "FAIL", but it must be their tester is setup for different parameters as they BOTH can't be bad....

So... I guess we are heading towards those components south of the coil. Therefore suspect items are the coil wire to that bank, rotor or distributor...

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Kevin

17. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Since no fire on coil wire, before thinking it's a bad distributor, rotor, etc., get a spark gap ignition tester, or just connect the coil wire directly to a spark plug & ground the case.

Should be firing the gap/plug if not, then the coil isn't getting fired. Make sure you're getting both power & a good ground to the front bank coils & ECUs.

If the plug is firing, look for distributor, etc. problems as you mentioned.

18. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Yes, it sounds electrical, but are you sure you're getting gas to the bank that's failing?

Ken

19. ctnbop

ctnbop Rookie

Oct 3, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Canh Nguyen
    I had the same problem. It was intermittent power to the front bank coil. Once I verified that all components were working by swapping from bank to bank (coils, caps and rotors), it was a matter of squeezing the connectors inside the molded rubber connectors that power the coil. Contact cleaner is not enough...and the more I pulled those wires off for testing, the worse the connection became. Hope it works for you.

20. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    #20 Mark 328, Dec 13, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had the same problem as Canh in my 328 and it was connectors to the modules on top of the coils. You can try moving the harness around while the car is running, but be very careful to stay away from any high voltage components. The harnesses are stiff and partially held in place by the plugs.

You can also, test circuits with test plug--see attached diagram.

Good luck,

Mark
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. kgoy

kgoy Rookie

Jan 20, 2004
    Houston, TX, USA
    Verell - Good thought... Will definitely try hooking a plug directly to the coil wire... Of course, the coil wire could be culprit, but will swap coil wires as well.

Mark - You are also right... Just because I swapped coils/ICM's doesn't mean the harnesses are OK... I guess if I don't get a spark using Verell's idea, then I would have to swim back upstream and ALL the wiring for that bank would be suspect....

Ken - No issues with fuel... In fact that is one of the things that is bothering me. Everytime I fire up the motor to test things, I know there is fuel just pouring into the motor and into the cats unburnt... Just waiting for all that unburnt fuel to decide to combust... The issue seems to be just ignition as none of the plugs are firing on that side.

Thanks!

Kevin

22. kgoy

kgoy Rookie

Jan 20, 2004
    Houston, TX, USA
    New Weekend, New Outlook on Life!

New Troubleshooting Technique, Same Problem.... :(

The Latest: I put everything back together (coils/ICM's) and restarted motor to ensure the problem remained the same... This was confirmed.

Removed coil wire from the front bank (firewall side) and placed a new coil wire (for testing purposes as suggested by Verrell) with a new spark plug attached. Upon restarting the engine, I HAD SPARK FROM THIS PLUG!

So, the good news is everthing I have checked to date seems to be OK. So now it appears everything downstream from the coil is suspect (i.e. coil wire/rotor/distributor).

Figure I should change the coil wire next....

My latest concern is that I am now entering into uncharted territory for my skillsets. Are there any surprises lurking upon removing the 3 bolts that hold the distributor cap on? Anything I should be especially concerned or aware of?

I noticed the cap has a gasket between the cap and the head... Will I need to replace this or should it be OK to re-install?

Thanks... I look forward to continue getting my hands dirty before deciding to transport to the dealer....

Kevin

23. rosslindell

rosslindell Rookie

Nov 9, 2003
    My 1989 328 right after passing it's smog check (yay!), started doing exactly this (boo). I am happy to see I don't need to go fishing for crank sensors, but @kgoy how did this sort out for you?

24. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    I had this and it was caused by the coils being upside down meant water had run down into the rubber caps on the connections on the bottom (normally top) of the coils and caused corrosion of the blade connectors. Cleaned contacts then was OK.

25. Lutzo

Lutzo Rookie

Nov 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ladislav Kovacyk
    Would anyone know what the ohm reading should be on 86 328 coils ?