328/Mondial ABS brakes - do they actually work? | FerrariChat

328/Mondial ABS brakes - do they actually work?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by snj5, Mar 13, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Just curious, have any Mondial or 328 owners ever had their ABS system actually cycle under hard braking? I've lightly locked my fronts two times now in two weeks. No warning lights, and pressure still feels good.
    Never heard of a failure, but never heard of them cycling either.
    Many thanks
    rt

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I used to have them cycle all the time during test drives. It was a common complaint on the 328's and why many don't like the ABS cars, the threshold was set so low. I don't have anywhere near the experience with the Mondial's so I cannot say if they were the same.

3. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I can get my 1989 Mondial t ABS to cycle, but I have to be very aggressive to do so. The pedal does not respond like a late Mercedes-Benz system though.

However, if I drove the Ferrari in the rain, I would guess that the ABS would work just right. I will give that a shot next time I see a opportunity.

4. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Wondering the same thing?? Have never noticed them engaging.
    Should have tried to lock them up while i had the old tires on still!

5. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have an 89 GTB and have gotten the ABS to come in a number of times on the track. I never felt it was overly intrusive, certainly no more so than the 94 348 TB I used to track.

Dave