328 no start | FerrariChat

328 no start

Discussion in '308/328' started by race27, May 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. race27

race27 Rookie

Nov 11, 2003
    Two days ago the 50 mile drive was great as always, parked her and went to start yesterday......fuel is flowing seems to have no spark. electronic modules on the coils are fairly new. any thoughts on how to chase this down and in what order? Many Thanks

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Gas, spark, air, and compression.
    Check system fuel pressure and control pressure when cold. Check to see if you are squirting gas with the cold start valve.
    Pull off a spark plug and check to see if there is spark.
    Unless you have an obstruction in the throttle housing, you have air.
    Since it was running before, you probably have compression.

3. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    Battery is always the first thing I check.
    If in marginal charging power, like over night, it won’t start the car.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    If no spark on a MicroPlex ignition system, but the engine cranks over well:

1. Unplug the RPM Flywheel Sensor and measure the resistance between the two pins on the unplugged sensor side = should be 600~1000 Ohms.

2. Unplug the TDC Flywheel Sensor and measure the resistance between the two pins on the unplugged sensor side = should be 600~1000 Ohms.

If you pass steps 1 and 2, plug them back in and retry (sometimes just unplugging/replugging can fix a bad connection). If still no joy:

3. Measure the AC voltage on the two pins on the RPM flywheel sensor (while still plugged in) during starter motor cranking. Should be ~2.0 VAC.

4. Measure the AC voltage on the two pins on the TDC flywheel sensor (while still plugged in) during starter motor cranking. Should be more than 0.1 VAC.

If you pass steps 3 and 4, but still no joy give a shout (but I hope you don't have to go there ;)).

Saabguy and thorn like this.
  5. race27

race27 Rookie

Nov 11, 2003
    Thanks Gentlemen,
    I now have today's project :((((

6. race27

race27 Rookie

Nov 11, 2003
    Steve,
    Sorry but thought you wanted a PM. Distributor caps, wires and the electronic units on top of the coils are all new. I would also like to avoid the pain of a new ECU!! Any other intermediate steps in this process of deduction???
    Thanks

7. race27

race27 Rookie

Nov 11, 2003
    Steve,
    Sorry but thought you wanted a PM. Distributor caps, wires and the electronic units on top of the coils are all new. I would also like to avoid the pain of a new ECU!! Any other intermediate steps in this process of deduction???
    Thanks

8. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Did you do steps 1-4?

9. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No -- as I described in my PM response, I can't remember all the prior details nor even what I had previously posted ;) so prefer just to have it all in a public thread.

This link should get you Service Bulletin 80-28 that describes all of the diagnostic measurements for the MicroPlex ignition systems (MED 120B for TR and MED 806A for 3.2):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v8syps3qucxjj3n/Service Bulletin 80-28 microplex ignition.pdf?dl=0

If it wasn't one of the flywheel sensors, I'd still suspect single failure things that could take out both banks -- like no power or ground, but that document describes everything to test. Good Hunting!

bertrand328 likes this.
  10. race27

race27 Rookie

Nov 11, 2003
    Yes steps 1-4 all done and nothing out of order. Steve, thanks for the bulletin link

11. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Afternoon,
    That sudden change could be the TDC sensor on the clutch housing. It's got two one is for the TDC and the other one is for the RPM.
    They seem to fail all of a sudden...don't know why... they are interchangeable, very easy to replace and are inexpensive.

Hope this helps,

John.