328 ownership | FerrariChat

328 ownership

Discussion in '308/328' started by RossoNero, Jun 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RossoNero

RossoNero Karting

Sep 7, 2012
    JHB, South Africa
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Good afternoon guys,

I'm a long-time Ferrari enthusiast, having mostly owned more modern models (F430, 458, 599) - however I've grown increasingly interested in the older stuff. As cars become faster and more digital, so I find myself drawn to the appeal of a more "rough" and analog experience.

I am looking to buy a beautifully restored 328 as a sort of introductory experience to hopefully many more years of owning older models.

I have only had brief spells in a 308, and I've never driven a 328. How do you guys feel about the 328 as a sort of "starter" classic? Is it the right car to make the leap with?

2. howl

howl Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2011
    Chicago/Boca
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I think it is a great choice. I have owned my 328 for 20 years and in that time have had modern cars that come and go. Currently in addition to the 328 I have a McLaren and an f430 with a stick yet I relish driving the 328. The reasons I think it is a good "starter" classic are:

- if well maintained, very reliable.
    - handling etc is good enough that it is still exciting and fun to drive. I find many older cars just don't have bough refinement for me to enjoy. It really provides a great analog experience.
    - a shape that is timeless.
    - enough around that most parts are not a problem so ownership cost is very reasonable.

I would say the only ownership issue is given its size and age, in these days of teens texting in SUV's I do worry about getting squashed. If you buy one and find you like analog, but want more power etc. a 430 6MT or 360 6MT still provides an analog experience but with much more power and safety. I would also add that I test drove 458's and 488's and was not a fan. Great noises and very fast, but very digital. What I love about the McL is while it is Very digital and very fast, it provided the intimacy in driving that I get with the 328. It also is comfortable for long trips. If you are still interested in something modern, that has that intimate feel, try a McL (650 or 570). I think they have nailed it.

3. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    #3 Brian A, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    You'll find a lot of threads here converging upon the 3x8 group as a great analog car. We are terribly bias here in the 308/328 forum, but we feel our opinions are justified. Here is my story regarding my first years of ownership: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328-sponsored-yellow-compass-group/546683-brian-%96-four-years-308-ownership.html

I agree with howl that the safety element is an issue. Modern cars are much better than antiques. One has to drive an antique car differently and to different destinations. In an ironic twist, I had an early morning doctor's appointment and the only car that would start was the 308. Traveling in bumper-to-bumper rush hour traffic was terrifying in a car 44" tall. You just don't drive a 3x8 in that kind of situation.

Regarding performance, a 328, driven well, can keep up with the big dogs. The reality is that the speed of group drives (eg. FCA) is limited by corner speed which is limited by physics. (Theoretically, of course) in the straights, the 458s may hit 140 and you only 99, but you'll catch most drivers again next corner. A 328 needs skill to drive well and that is why you are buying it.

4. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Agreed; it is the 44" tall, (or in my specific case, this side of the Atlantic, 112 cms...) that tend to worry me the most after ten years of ownership. Those SUVs do not see the car hidden under their rear-window sill.

Rgds

5. GLS12

GLS12 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2011
    Occupied VA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I have owned my 328 for a bit over 5 years now. After spending money to get it sorted based on issues the last owner did not fix, I can say it has been fairly reliable. More importantly - to me anyway - is that it is always a bit of an event when I drive it. I love the fact that i doesn't have power steering, abs (I have an early 88), and is small by modern standards. And while the car is certainly less comfortable than my 360, it is comfortable enough and any slight discomfort from it just helps to make my drive more of an event by reminding me I'm in a proper sports car. Additionally, in contrast to more modern Ferraris - I use the 360 as an example because I have experience with it - you sit low much lower to the ground, which I think makes for a better driving experience.

As I have said elsewhere, if I absolutely had to choose between my 360 and my 328, I think the 328 would stay given the driving experience. Now, that said, coming from more modern cars, the 328 will seem sluggish at best. But I think given the sound, the driving experience, and the looks, it shouldnt matter.

6. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I have owned my '89 328 since 2008. The car is essentially bulletproof. It will sit comfortably (the engine, not the driver/passenger) in bumper-to-bumper traffic at 108F, as mine did the first day I owned it. It did a 2800 mile trip two days later.

Maintenance is relatively easy, the only issues being a few "accessibility" issues that are not a problem with the proper tools -FWIW, flex head ratchets are REALLY helpful! :)

Belt changes, despite a lot of angst that shows up occasionally is basic stuff - no different than what you would do on any belt or chain cam set up regardless of make/model.

If you expect to stay cool in hot weather...well, forget that! Even at best, the OEM AC is no better than poor to fair. However, some work can get it more toward the "fair" side of the rating.

Frankly, it's a great car. I can't get into the comparison between the 308 and the 328 because although I have driven 308s, I have never owned one. But the 328 WITH ABS is the only 3x8 I wanted and I have been very happy with it. If you are OK with the lack of power vs a modern car, it won't disappoint.

Now...if you want a convenient, easy car to drive...I'm very pleased with our Hyundai Santa Fe! :) I'm not sure you could see a 328 while driving it but the sensors would detect and alarm if you try to change lanes into one occupied by a 3x8! :)

7. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
    I would think it would be tough to maintain in South Africa, as you don't have access to Ferrparts etc over there. And in the same vein, I would steer clear of ABS, the earlier cars being a little simpler.

Johannesburg is a bit of a war zone and I would not want to break down in this car in that city, or anywhere near it.

8. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have had my 328 for over 10 years, and just added a 430 a couple of years ago. I love them both, though they are very different cars to drive.

I have always had small two seaters - for example I drove an MGB for years in a city full of pick up trucks - so I am used to the idea of being invisible on the road more so than many others might be. Driving in traffic doesn't bother me, I have just developed a more defensive, proactive driving style over time.

Reliability is great. I had a mechanic once tell me that the 328 was the closest thing to a Toyota that ever came out of Italy (and that if all of his clients drove 328's he'd be broke).

Air conditioning. Yeah. that's an issue. I had a new compressor installed back in 2008, and it went from non-existent to just ok. However, it's starting to deteriorate again. I drive the 328 much less in the Florida summer because of it.

Driving engagement, well it just doesn't get much better. I know a couple of airline / military pilots that say they love driving the 308 / 328 because coming from their planes, they like that they are actually doing the driving themselves. You will even get to like the driving position. Especially if you have short legs, long arms, and like to sit skewed a bit to the right. :)

Also, while it is underpowered by modern car standards, this is still a car that you can have fun with at a track day. The balance and handling is spot on. You'll get left behind on the straights, but you will have a hoot in the corners!

And styling. Again, it doesn't get much better. People sometimes ask me what the 430 is. Everybody knows the 328 is a Ferrari.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    328 is a great first and forever Ferrari, that is what ours is. a real driving experience stick and handles great stock. great sounds and with GTS can go top off. they are reliable and not too expensive except the independents lately have punished the non-SD guys for having to buy SD's for their other clients.

10. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Not even sure I want to jump into this pool. 15 years, nearly 30k miles. Reliable? Ummmm....not a word I'd use. Also not cheap to maintain or repair. It's still a Ferrari.

I'm seriously questioning how much longer I'll own it, but those that know me will tell you that's a battle I've been fighting for a long time.

11. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    I've owned my 328 for almost 11 years and it's been trouble-free and aside from the $4000 belt service has been very inexpensive to own and operate. Even including the belt service, on an annual basis service and maintenance have been much less expensive than a late-model BMW.

And since it can be insured as a classic car even the insurance is cheap. Also, it's now worth quite a bit more than what I paid for it.

Objectively, it's slow and outdated. But to me it doesn't feel all that slow, and I have several other 400-500+ hp cars for comparison. OF course those cars would slaughter the 328 in an actual race but just normal street driving the 328 is plenty fast. The best thing is that you can hammer it through third gear and still be traveling at a speed that won't put you in jail. Whereas with those powerful cars first gear is about the only fun you get.

12. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

lol :)

13. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Ever driven an Alfa Spider?

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    between you, me, and Tillman think you have had the most headaches. I don't Tillman has had many? I had gas pedal have the sticky issues and had clutch pedal break. AC always needs attention.

15. FrannyB

FrannyB Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    Arvada, CO
    This is pretty obvious I suppose, but the trick is to start with a sorted car and then drive it regularly. Getting it completely sorted can be a thing as it is a metal box filled with 30+ year old parts. Some cars sort faster/better than others - that's for sure. It is a little bit of a Catch22 - you need to drive it to sort it, but it is frustrating to drive a car that isn't sorted. The rest is maintenance and standard wear and tear. I think our car is pretty sorted at this point, but it popped a couple spark plug wires loose on a long run last weekend. Easy fix, but it requires that you are more aware mechanically and willing to do a little light poking around - sometimes after pulling off the road. If you get frustrated/upset when it isn't completely right or something happens out of the blue, maybe a newer car is better. Classic cars are more fun with a lighter temperament maybe?

Ours is an '85 Euro just for reference. Mechanically it is probably 85% of new? And "New" isn't like current "New", that is '80's "New". We have a few other older cars and It is a different mentality I think driving them. Keeping an ear to the car and being aware of anything out of the norm. It requires (for me) a bit more focus at times. I can't really hold a conversation for long or listen to the radio or talk on the phone.

Seems funny... I don't remember all that fuss when I was actually in the '80 driving, but that was school for me so... I really enjoy driving the older cars more than newer cars. I'm more forgiving, calmer and focused on the road. Like any relationship, a nice side benefit is how that relationship make you a better person :)

Good luck with your decision. What a fun place to be!

Franny

psych0hans likes this.
  16. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    You nailed it with these observations. I completely agree.