328 Passenger Rear Seat Pouch Lock Key | FerrariChat

328 Passenger Rear Seat Pouch Lock Key

Discussion in '308/328' started by Rossocorsa1, Mar 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    First, let me start by clarifying that this thread will primarily be of interest to those who value every detail of owning a 328, particularly concourse entrants. If you’re not one to stress over the smallest details than this isn’t for your consumption.

In my quest to fully appreciate my 1989 328 GTB I have found a few things that required deeper learning and investigation. One of the biggest challenges was understanding the source of the original mini key for the lock on the pouch which is on the back of the passenger seat.

Originally, 328 owners received with their sets of keys one, in some cases two, tiny keys for this lock. Over time many were discarded or lost. Still, in my search, I have come across many owners who were kind enough to share photos of what the original keys look like. I always took notice two interesting markings on the keys. One side had what seemed to be a logo. The other side had the number 47 within a circle. After some deep investigating, I learned that the small lock on the pouch was made by a Swiss luggage lock maker named Amiet. The logo on one side of the key is the Amiet logo. I contacted Amiet and enquirerd about the number 47. I was told that they still make the exact key today for luggage locks but the the 47 version was retired. Today’s key, though precisely identical, has the number 37 on it. The Amiet logo is still enscribed on the opposite side. I have attached the email from Amiet explaining all of this. Lastly, for those who have this key but it has no inscriptions on it, they told me that some earlier versions may have been blank. Also, they said it was always possible that keys could have been delivered to Ferrari without inscriptions. So, I don’t have a firm answer for those that may wonder.

I hope this answers some questions for those who have wondered about this little key, as I’ve seen a few threads discussing it. I personally have two original 47 keys for my car, but Amiet was kind enough to send me 10 37 keys. I’m happy to offer them, no charge.

Below I am posting the email from Amiet and photos of the key. Out of respect for the woman I dealt with at Amiet I have removed her name.

ME308, Albert-LP and bertrand328 like this.
  2. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Albert-LP and Milkshaker0007 like this.
  3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I would love one please. What investigative work !!!

4. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Just a lot of online digging, talking to other owners and taking to people that worked in dealerships at the time.

PM me.

5. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Thats great customer service from them!
    I bought a lock to get the key last year and it is the "37" longer version.

6. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    You are correct. Good eye. It would seem that the new version “37” is longer than the original version “47”. Both still work on the pouch lock.

For those like me who are extremely particular, I do have a tip on how to find a period 47 key. Go on eBay and search for “Amiet vintage luggage” or “Amiet vintage briefcases” or just “Amiet vintage locks”. You’ll likely find items with the same locks from the 80’s that were used on the 328. I suggest that you confirm with the owner that the key comes with the item and that it has the number 47 on it.

7. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    Hello,
    I would like to receive a key as well. My car did not come with one when I bought it recently and was happy the PO did not lock the pouch.
    Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I have 10. Anyone that wants one please send me a PM.

9. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Nice gesture buddy. Mine came originally with the same shape as 47 but without any logos or numbers. My car is an 89 so who knows how the keys were distributed.

10. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Just a quick note - I only have two more of these keys left. I just don't want to over commit to anyone. Happy to offer them free of charge. I just ask for a self addressed envelope sent to me. PM if you're interested.

11. AP328

AP328 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    Canada
    I just sent you a PM.

12. jagmanv12

jagmanv12 Karting

Aug 25, 2010
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Just sent PM as well.

13. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    All the spare Amiet keys I have are now spoken for.

14. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I get the idea that keys that originally came with the car were size "47" but blank and the replacement key or the keys used by Amiet for their other, non Ferrari products had the 47 and their logo stamped on them. All the original 308 and 328 Ferrari FACTORY supplied keys I have personally seen have been blank but I need a bigger cross section to be sure. Please correct me if I'm wrong with facts.

Also everyone should check their passenger pocket for the original pouch key. Some owners have discovered that the key has been sitting right down the very bottom of their pocket for decades without realising it. Worth a thorough search.

15. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

As with many things of that era, consistency is the issue. As I noted above, blank keys seemed to also be common, particularly in earlier cars. Amiet themselves said that this is quit possible. I too have seen blank versions. That said, the vast majority of key sets I have seen (from what I would believe as credibly original) have the markings on them. So, I guess my conclusion is that both are true.

16. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    #18 Rosey, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/328-pouch-lock-key.556794/

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/which-seat-pouch-key-is-original.386638/

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/original-328-keys.526211/#post-144773427

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/lets-make-the-pouch-key-for-a-308-328.526656/

I don't mean to be augmentative- just looking at the facts, but if you look at all the actual supplied on delivery pouch keys that actually came with the cars, over all the relevant threads on the topic listed above, they all are unstamped. Not one with stamping has been stated that it came from the factory as opposed to saying it came from the original owner, etc. Plus the few I have seen that I know were supplied with the car are also unstamped.

I have yet to be shown any proof an actual stamped key originally came with the car.

17. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Nobody is trying to discredit anyone here. As I said, I’m sure both cases are true. Here are photos of two other key sets from high end cars. Could some owners of these cars (and mine and others I’ve come across) have lost the original “blank” keys and gone through the trouble of replacing them with keys all stamped? That would be an unlikely scenario. So again, given the times and how things were often done back then (and what Amiet told me) there is no question in my mind that both options are the case.

This thread also shows that another owner has a stamped key. I was merely trying to offer some information and clarity. Again, both are likely the case:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/which-seat-pouch-key-is-original.386638/

18. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Sorry, but in the thread you refer to Brent doesn't know which (if either) are original and as such is asking the question. As it turns out the gold one on the right is a cheap eBay fake and again he is not even sure where the other one came from. If one is clearly not original then it's also possible both could be.

The two photo's posted above were posted by you in an earlier thread asking...
    "Can someone who knows for certain please confirm if this is an original key for the lock on the pouch located behind the passenger seat on 328's? I've seen these keys without the engravings as well, so I'm trying to verify what is authentic. Thank you".

So again I say I have yet to see any concrete proof that engraved keys originally came with the cars.

19. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Oh lord. Yes, I posted them when I first began the process of trying to figure out the originality of the keys. Since doing so, I learned what I clearly described above. Enjoy the key you have. Im sure it’s an original. I never meant to say it wasn’t. I was trying to share the information I uncovered and offer some free keys (#37 non originals) from the original manufacturer to others who may not have one and don’t care if what they have is an original. I’m done here.

20. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Don't take it so personally !!

Jeez... I was just stating that to this day I have never seen any concrete evidence to support that the original keys were ever issued with engravings- that's all. I actually commented previously that what you were doing was admirable in handing out free keys. But the whole point of you starting this thread was talking about the originality of the keys and what was issued with the car and I was just stating that up till now I have seen no evidence those engraved keys ever were. That's all.

Please don't confuse the two and lets move on.

21. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Thank you very much Rossocorsa1. I miss one, so I would like to have one and I will be very happy to pay the shipping expenses

I confirm that the Amiet 47 is the original one: this is the OEM on my 1983 208 GTS turbo.

I would like to check with you all which models had the pouch behind the passenger seat: I have it on my 208 GTS turbo from 1983 (308 GTS QV similar), and on my GTB turbo from 1988 (328 GTB similar) while I haven't in on my carbed 308 GTB nor on my 208 turbo GTB (308 GTB QV like).

Which models had the pouch behind the passenger seat? I don't remember if my former 328 GTS had it

Thank you very much

ciao
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rosey likes this.
  22. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Amiet equipped also the Ferrari official luggage before the Schedoni age, the Fiamma Breschi ones. I was getting mad to find an Amiet broken combination lock and and at the end I had to buy a bag with those old locks to have a spare, as they were discontinued and out of stock

ciao

23. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Thank you Alberto for providing some further evidence that the original key (for the 308 at least) come with the engraving. As I said in my post #16 happy to stand corrected if there was supportive evidence to suggest otherwise.
    Funny how Amiet said that they thought the engraved keys were the later releases, but so far the earlier ones distributed with the cars seem to be engraved. I know my late model 328 was blank.