328 running hot at low speed | FerrariChat

328 running hot at low speed

Discussion in '308/328' started by dinonz308, Oct 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Noticed today on a rather cool day here in Texas that the 328 was running hot when tooling around a carpark - was showing 120C on the gauge. Once back on the road and up to speed, it slowly (over 1-2 minutes) reduced back to about 80C, but on slowing to a crawl it started to climb again.

My first suspicion is the fans not running? Appears that the thermostat and cooling system a good once there's airflow, but it's lacking airflow at low speeds.

If correct, what things can I check? First I'll go look for the fuse, but what else after that? Fire it up and see if the fans are indeed running? We have a laser thermometer I can borrow from work if needed to verify it is actually hot, but I feel fairly sure that the sender and gauge is ok because it's reading consistently in various driving modes - its not erratic or random.

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Check the fan first...fuse, fan itself, etc.

308 milano likes this.
  3. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    yes, fire it up and let it idle until fans (should) come on. Shouldn't take but a couple minutes from cold or a few minutes after a drive.

308 milano likes this.
  4. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    I had to go to a company meeting, and on arriving the temp started rising, but the fan kicked in and I didn't have time to monitor further.

I need more time to confirm everything - maybe the fans just didn't kick in earlier today for whatever reason. I don't know enough to tell but I picked up the infrared thermometer so I can check temps if needed.

5. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I have had cars with working fans that run hot when sitting because the fans are not going fast enough. If the fans work but thee car runs cool only when moving, then they are too slow. Check the voltage that is actually at the fans. If it is low, you may need a relay set up to get full voltage again. It is becoming more common as these cars get older.

turbo-joe, thorn and 308 milano like this.
  6. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    If your temperature is on Celsius, you must have an "Euro" car; the owner's manual for my '89 328s ("Euro" GTB + "Euro" GTS) says:
    "coolant temperature should NEVER be allowed to exceed 110°; if it exceeds 110°, you must shut down the engine immediately".
    Sorry not being able to make you a better answer, I leave this to the experts, but 120° is too much.

Rgds

thorn, dinonz308 and 308 milano like this.
  7. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Ensure that BOTH fans are running.

308 milano likes this.
  8. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    A 328 will always run hotter when standing still than when moving.
    The oil cooler is fed by ram air through the port side air scoop.

The two hottest parts of my commute in the DC area were just before shutting down.
    Because I had to crawl down three levels in the parking garage at work.
    And because I had to drive slowly through narrow streets in the residential neighborhood.

But if your temp is reaching 120C, that's way too much.
    Check your thermostat and fans, and check your coolant levels.
    (You might want to have your cap pressure checked, as well. I had to replace my tank cap, a few years ago. These cars are decades old, after all.)

Another thing to watch for is the temp gauge periodically "peaking" -- going up for just under a minute and then dropping back (although hotter than normal), with the process repeating. That can be an indication of air in the system --- which often happens if you (or your shop) forgot to open the heater cores when you refilled coolant. When you turn on heat in the fall, you inject air into the cooling system.

308 milano likes this.
  9. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    I'll try double check that today.

10. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Yes - it will be hotter standing still or slow driving that moving, but 120 is way too high - I had never seen it do that before. and it did cool again once moving.

I'll check the coolant level and the fans again today. I'll check the cap but Brian did replace it a month or so ago. Also, while I am at it I have the quick bleed screws to install so now might be a good time to do that while I'm digging into the cooling system. I'm not sure when the coolant was last refilled but I'll check for air when I replace the bleed screws.

11. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    My fan's only kicks in on a very hot day with the car idling long periods and the temps will goto 90-95 degress C max, with the fan's kicking in it will drop to 80, when I cruise on the highway it will always stay around 80 or a little less like on colder days. When the fan's kicks in you can hear them blowing strong but I can't remember them last kicking in even at slow speeds, never.

I have similar heat here, similar to Texas summer time.

are you sure there is not something else ? when last was water checked or coolant replaced etc?

12. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Same here, but the weather is much cooler. Fans kick in at about 95/97° C. Normal standard coolant cruising temp is a tad less than 75° indicated; the numbers marked in figures on a 328 celsius temp gauge are 60 and 90, but there is a red dash in the middle in-between, so that dash is 75° and the needle, when cruising, sets itself just below.
    Never heard the fans kick in when the car is rolling, not even at slow speed, only when the car is stopped, for instance waiting at a red light; I do cross the same city regularly, I have 37 red lights on my way, and depending on how many are red, the fans usually kick once or twice during that crossing.
    "dinonz308"s car is service by "Brian" it seems, if that "Brian" is Rifledriver, then whatever I might say is of no use, his car is in safe hands.

Rgds

13. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    328's do not have any issues at all with cooling under even the most adverse conditions IF the system is in good condition. So if it's actually heating as described - temps confirmed, not just inaccurate gauge - something isn't right.

Could be as simple as low coolant level or as complicated as a cracked cylinder block! But most likely it is something easily correctable. FWIW, a bad/improper rad cap will cause the problem... ;)

rob lay likes this.
  14. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Yes - that Brian is rifledriver, but all input is appreciated. Mine *was* exactly like yours until yesterday - generally hovering by the middle dash between 60 and 90 when cruising. I'll take it out again today, and see if the temps go above 95 again - it could just have been an anomaly yesterday where the fans did not kick in - when the temps were high I did not have a chance to check if the fans were running or not - I opted to get the car moving and get air flowing. Later that day exactly like you mention they came on at about 95 on the gauge, however I was having to walk away for a company meeting so could not sit and watch for further increases in temp etc.

15. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    I'll check the water again but it was all checked over a month or so ago by Brian, and the expansion tank cap replaced.

16. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Thanks Mike. I'll check the levels and inspect the cap but it was replaced recently by Brian, so I presume it has the correct one (I've seen much debate on here as to what's correct). Generally I've seen the car running cool (~75C) on hot Texas days so It didn't *have* a cooling problem - but something could have just cropped up. The vehicle only has 20,000km on it, so I fear it's been in storage (as reflected in the condition of the fuel system when I got it) so it would not surprise me if the thermostat could be stuck although this to be doesn't seem like a thermostat problem - but I mean the coolant could have been sitting in there for 4 years (time the last owner had it) untouched.

17. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    If it was all OK until some work was done to the car, the "usual suspect" is always that the work done to the car has something to do with the 'new' problem. That's not to say that it's 100% that way but it's always the first thing to look at. ;)

18. Nuno Andrade

Nuno Andrade Karting

Aug 24, 2019
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Nuno Andrade
    Also check that the radiator is not obstructed with anything...paper, piece of cloth, etc.

19. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    One thing you can try is when temperatures begin climbing and you are driving slowly, downshift to increase engine/pump rpm. If this causes your temperature to drop, then the problem could be that your water pump is not putting out sufficient water at low rpm. I have a water cooled Porsche whose water temperature would increase to an uncomfortable level when climbing mountains with rpm at 2000. At 3000 rpm the water temperature would come back to normal. Over the years clearances between impeller and pump housing had increased lowering pumping rate at low rpm. New pump cured the issue.

20. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I had the exact same issue many years ago, was a failed water pump in my case.

21. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Wow, so much speculation all over the map.

Slow down. First verify that both fans are running and verify that it does indeed start to overheat - but don't let it get to 120 again. If it does you've already got a good mechanic, you don't need crowd of perfect strangers throwing darts at a board blindfolded.

ntb308gtsi likes this.
  22. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Previous comments mention checking the fans are running- get you hands on the fans and see if they turn freely, if getting old they may be tight and not getting up to speed. They will come to a point they will blow the fuses. Also count the fan blades to see you have not lost any.
    With the engine and fans running check the inlet and outlet temps of the radiator to ensure a temp drop. Any crap in the rad honeycombe.
    With these old fuse boxes, connect a meter to the fan wiring to ensure you do not have reduced volts to the fan motors.

23. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    I think I'll email Brian as everything I am seeing is becoming inconsistent. Went driving and the temp was about 90. Stopped, jumped out and watched the fans - they both came on, the temp climbed to about 100, and they turned off. Infrared Thermometer read 66C on the inlet to the radiator, and nothing I could get a reading from in the engine bay was over 88. So seems that end of the car is not hot.
    Then it happened again on the drive home in an area where I could not pull over. But just as suddenly, the temp plummeted from 120 to 90 in about 2 seconds according to the gauge. I pulled over and of course everything I could read with the thermometer was at a normal temp - block was about 66 etc.
    Starting to think maybe it's a sticky thermostat that's sticking closed and blocking the flow. That is something I could change at home, replace the bleed screws with the ezy-bleed ones I have, and then bleed the system to see if that helps. I believe this car has sat for a while unused or rarely used.

24. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    That's something to consider. Brian is doing the belts and retiming the cams for me shortly, so maybe "while you're in there".

25. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Then why bother posting here in the first place.