328 Seat Stuck | FerrariChat

328 Seat Stuck

Discussion in '308/328' started by RussF, Aug 18, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RussF

RussF Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    The driver side seat is stuck in the rearmost position and by pulling up on the handle I cannot get it to move. Moreover since I cannot get access to the rearmost track bolts I am not sure just how to fix this problem. Any suggestions?

2. F328GTS/GTB

F328GTS/GTB Formula Junior

May 3, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Denis
    #2 F328GTS/GTB, Aug 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The 328 had two seat "lever" designs. One is the one as pictured, which matches the 308. The other is different, more of a long horizontal underneath the seat.

Russ, which one is yours? If its the earlier design, you push down instead of pulling up, of course. If it's the later design, then I'm not sure what the problem is!

4. RussF

RussF Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    Thanks guys. On mine youo pull the lever up to move the seat. I looked under the car without raising it and it appears that there are bolts that secure the seat track to the frame. If so perhaps the solution is to unbolt the track from below to fix the problem. Any thoughts on this.

5. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes. See recent thread on this by me (how to lubricate seat rails).

Four 6mm allen bolts to remove the seats, then you can see what the problem is.

6. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    I believe than on my 308 the nut below the seats is captive in a "pocket" so it can not be accessed from below.

Gianluca

7. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    On my '86 328, the seats are always a little reluctant to slide, especially from the rearmost position (which is where I keep it, unless I have the targa top stowed behind the seat.) Due to the nature of the track, it requires that you sit in the seat to move it forward from that rearmost position. Use a lot of force, and it actually somewhat pops through what seems to be a small detent to get it forward. I have to push my lever down, so I have the early seat tracks.

Get some WD40 and use the straw to direct some back into the track.

If you can get access to remove the seats with tracks, that would be fine. If it doesn't move with any amount of force, the release might be bent or broken.

8. RussF

RussF Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    Thanks again Guys. The problem persists. Although I can get the front 6 mm bolt off the track to get the rear off you have to move the seat forward which I can't do. However there appears to be a nut on the underside of the car into which the rear 6 mm bolt screws into. I will try to take the bolt out from below and then take the seat off the track and see what the problem is.

9. danman

danman Karting

Mar 31, 2008
    Central NJ
    How did this work out for you? I'm having the same exact problem!

Thanks,
    Dan

10. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    In my 328, I have to push down on the handle to get the seat to move. I push the knob towards the floor, and slide the seat wherever I want it. Pulling up does nothing.

11. danman

danman Karting

Mar 31, 2008
    Central NJ
    Mine doesn't have a knob. It's a lever all the way across.

12. robbie

robbie F1 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Mine is a Feb 88 build date and it has the push-down-to-release lever, so the long lever must be for 1988.5's and 1989's. You are going to have to do some grinding to get the nuts on the underside loose. They are not intended to be removed. The seat tracks are fairly complicated. There are two free steel rollers per side (on each seat), with an O-ring around each, that separate the upper and lower track sections. Then there are a number of BB sized ball bearings that also allow the two sections to move relative to each other. Finally there are several detents that are intended to keep the BB's and rollers from falling out. Assuming that the release lever is actually releasing, then the rails must have a lot of junk (or rust) binding them together. The WD40 spray idea is a logical way to begin. Whomever said that sitting in the seat, actuating the lever, and jerking yourself forward, has the best idea for shaking things free. The nut removal looks to me as a last resort move. Good luck.

13. danman

danman Karting

Mar 31, 2008
    Central NJ
    Yes, it's a 1989...my bad. I just got it and need to set up my signature. I'll try hitting it with lube and see if that works before I break out the grinder. Thanks for the advice!

Dan