328 Shocks: Replace with QA1's or rebuild original Koni's? | FerrariChat

328 Shocks: Replace with QA1's or rebuild original Koni's?

Discussion in '308/328' started by oceanview328, Jan 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. oceanview328

oceanview328 Karting

Dec 7, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Ed
    A few years ago, most guys were replacing their Koni's with QA1's so, I bought a set with the intention of replacing them. I'm finally getting around to dealing with it and I was wondering what people's opinion's are now-a-days. I see that the value of these cars has gone up quite a bit, and I assume there is more of a push now to keep them as original as possible. Which do you think is the better way to go?

2. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Image Unavailable, Please Login Given that this isn’t a permanent alteration that you are making to the car, the originality consideration shouldn’t be an issue. Unless you are interested in having the car judged. I went with rebuilt Koni’s that are adjustable and give the look of originality at the same time. I still have the originals that I can change back to when and if needed.

oceanview328 likes this.
  3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    QA-1 are great shocks but whatever you use keep the original.

oceanview328 likes this.
  4. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I dont think that using shocks other then the original Konis, ( which I have used in my recent suspension rebuild ) are going to make the 328 handle better. AT 100,000 miles, my original Konis where still working very well. I would say, the best way to get the 328 to handle better is to use 17 inch wheels with P ZEROS, or maybe a set of Continental Extreme contact patch tires. I have had 17s on my 328 for 21 years, I just put on a set of Compomotive wheels, 17 inch, but now with 9 inch wide at the rear and 8 inch wide at the front, instead of 17s and 7.5 inch wide on all four legs. I can almost feel chunks of asphalt get ripped up when I go around corners, thats the level of grip I feel I am getting, not a 4 S 911, but darn close lol !! I would also replace the motor mounts with new ones. So 255/ 265 45 17s on the rear, 235 / 245 17s on the front with a rebuilt steering rack. And as far as adjustable shocks go, 99 % of drivers dont have the skill to drive their cars fast enough to feel any difference. Its that simple.

Thank you

Rifledriver and oceanview328 like this.
  5. oceanview328

oceanview328 Karting

Dec 7, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Thanks for your responses! My current shocks are seized up so, I have to deal with it anyway. I'm not super concerned about improving performance but, I bought the QA1's at the time since that's what everybody on Fchat was recommending. Since I already have them, I guess I'll go ahead and install the QA1's and see how I like them but, I'll definitely hang on to the original shocks and springs. If I'm not happy with them, I'll look into getting the originals rebuilt.

6. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    if you have the QA-1s, I would use them seeing as they are already paid for.

Shocks are very easily changed.

Its not like you are putting a Honda motor in your car.

Doug

oceanview328 and M.Burroughs like this.
  7. M.Burroughs

M.Burroughs Karting

Dec 11, 2010
    Amen to that! You're just putting QA1s on it... you know, real renowned for their prowess. ;)

oceanview328 likes this.