328 speedo glass cover fell off! | FerrariChat

328 speedo glass cover fell off!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by doubleoh7, Feb 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. doubleoh7

doubleoh7 Guest

Jan 20, 2004
    Rather than going to a mechanic, I am hoping there is a simple fix. The black ring that holds the glass onto the speedo (1987 328 gts US) came off when I accidentally bumped it while cleaning the dash panel. I now have a black ring, glass panel, thin o-ring and black insert that slides inside the speedo all lose and needing to be reattached. It appears as if the black outer ring will need to be reclamped (appears to be a small metal lip you fold over) around the white plastic speedo unit, but I don't think this can be done without removing the speedo. Is this any easy process, and if so how do you remove the speedo, fix, then reattach. Or am I opening a can of worms that i should just take to a mechanic?

2. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Pop out the small warning lamps in the 4 corners, and you will find the gauge panel mounting screws. A little patience and a bit of cussing and you can get the panel out enough to remove the spedo(tilt the steering wheel down if it is up). Problem is you will likly find the white plastic flange cracked around a good portion of the gauge. Super glue, clamp and let it sit. Somewhere I think I still have a used gauge housing I kept for this reason. Let me know if yours is beyond repair.