328 tool kit question | FerrariChat

328 tool kit question

Discussion in '308/328' started by Rod, Mar 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Can any one advice me what tools should be in a 328 tool kit? So that I can try and locate my missing bits!

Thanks

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Try taking a look at one of the online parts books and/or your owners manual and/or any of the many previous threads

3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #3 nerofer, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Rod,

As far as I have been able to ascertain until now, the 328 tool roll never changed during the whole production of the car (sept 1985 - sept 1989) so it is the easiest one of the family.

You should have:
    - Four screwdrivers with deep red translucent handle with "Ferrari" script one the handles in white: one large flat blade, one large Philips head, one small flat blade, one small Philips head.
    - eight open-ended spanners (or wrenches, depending on which side of the Atlantic you are reading this), lettered on one side "Chrom Vanadium Kravm", on the other "Ferrari":
    22/20; 19/18; 17/16; a combination "wrench" 14 open side, 14 for the "eye"; 13/12; 11/10; 9/8; 7/6
    - a pair of pliers: black nose, red plastic handles with a "guard" for the fingers, usually marked "Ferrari" on one side, sometimes "Kravm" on the other
    - a spark plug tool for 12 mm plugs / 18 mm inside the crown of the tool (take care, not the one for 14 mm plugs / 21 mm inside the crown which is for 308s) with a rubber ring inside the crown to catch the spark plug.
    - and the tool roll...

Rgds
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #4 nerofer, Mar 18, 2015
  5. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Perfect, thank you so much for posting.... I can now start searching for the missing items...

QUOTE=nerofer;143805003]The wrenches and the spark plug tool lying flat:[/QUOTE]

6. Tricycle

Tricycle Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2004
    LA Cnty 4,083sqmiles
    I think that the screwdrivers come also without the Ferrari script on them.

I have an incomplete 1989 toolkit and the orange screwdrivers have no script.

I believe they could also possible come in black(screwdriver set).

Someone with more knowledge than I can confirm.

7. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    No, the screwdrivers for the 328 tool roll should indeed have the white "Ferrari" script.
    Those that don't have the white "Ferrari" script, but still have deep red translucent handles come from 308 QV tool kits: some of those having script, some others without.
    But those for the 328 tool roll should have the white Ferrari script.

The black handle (solid black, not translucent) screwdrivers are a definite NO-NO for Original 328 tool rolls: these come either from later tool kits (348, 355) or from the "generic" replacement tool rolls that the factory sold later, for those owners who have lost the original tool roll.

Like I said above: the 328 tool roll is the essence of simplicity: there is only one variant.

Rgds

8. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Nerofer is an authority when he is talking about 328. :)

ciao

9. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #9 Albert-LP, Mar 18, 2015
  10. Tricycle

Tricycle Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2004
    LA Cnty 4,083sqmiles
    But I do not see any Ferrari script on your screwdrivers (unless they are all facing the back)

11. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    #11 Rod, Mar 18, 2015
    This is mine... I am only missing 1 ring spanner.. the others are in excellent condition.

I need all 4 screwdrivers with the ferrari name on them...

1 set of pliers.

1 spark plug key?

If anyone has any spare which are not silly money please pm me!

Thanks

12. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    I think a friend had pliers - pm offer

13. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    And I don't know this model of spark plug tool, but of course as the "Turbo" cars have the two-valve engine, which has 14 mm spark plugs, and not the 328 engine, which has the 12 mm spark plugs, it is logical that these cars do not have the same spark plug tool as the 328.

Rgds

14. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Rod,

Really sorry for what I am about to write...

and believe me this is not "French perfidy", or a stab in the back: either revenge for Joan of Arch, or Trafalgar, or Waterloo, or Mers-el-Kebir (Oran)...or what-have-you...

Yours does not look like a 328 tool roll to me, but an earlier version, probably around 1981 or 1982.

Proof is that yours has the former disposition of pockets at the right, whereas it does not have one large pocket for the pliers second from right (just left of the spark plug tool pocket, which is the one fully at right) but two smaller ones, which corresponds to tool rolls for the 308 GTB/S "i" (two valve injected) or 512 BB...
    And your wrenches do not look like "KRAVM" wrenches to me, but perhaps Polytools or Everest??

Rgds

15. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Hi

I think that you may be right regarding the tool roll. I have been comparing it to others and was wondering why it was slightly different! I may need to do a swap!

The spanners are definitely KRAVM

The tool kit came with the car some 12 years ago,

16. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Rod,

Compare the disposition of the pockets at left on your tool roll with the pic of a tool roll I have posted in post #3, and see how the one I have posted has a large pocket for the pliers, just at left of the spark plug tool, whereas the one you have has two smaller ones.
    I'm pretty sure it is 1981-82 vintage, but we could ask Alan (aka "Big Tex") for precisions: he should know.

If you got Kravm spanners, it is a positive point; unfortunately (sorry for the bad news...again) the one that seems to be missing is the combination wrench (14 mm open end - 14 mm "eye") which is a very difficult one to find.

Rgds

17. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    #17 Rod, Mar 19, 2015
    Thanks.

Another correction the spanners are actually Chrom-vanadium... my mistake.. Are these also incorrect?

18. jaa1359

jaa1359 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 1, 2014
    In addition to the 328 tool kits, were the the belts, spark plugs, bulbs, kept in a different packaging? If so, what was hat called? Does anyone have an utilized listing of that?

19. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #19 piezo, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016

These are kept in the jack kit, black coloured type. Other than the jack bits, you should have a grey or green coloured bulb/fuse holder. The belts are just placed in the jack kit pouch liberally. There are pockets in the jack pouch for the bulb/fuse holder and the spark plugs.

20. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven

These wrenches are commonly found in the 84/85 QV tool kits with blue pliers. They are also combined with the Utema N.1200 14/14mm combination wrench as a complete set. Your tool roll is the typical 308 roll.

21. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Rosey likes this.
  22. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
  23. VetroresinaNL

VetroresinaNL Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Vetroresina
    Seems all correct and original.

24. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Looks good. The only item I do t see is the emergency light with black pouch.