328 Tool Kit | FerrariChat

328 Tool Kit

Discussion in '308/328' started by jaa1359, Feb 21, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jaa1359

jaa1359 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 1, 2014
    Can anyone list exactly what is in a total and complete 328 tool kit, including the spark plugs/bulbs?

2. jaa1359

jaa1359 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 1, 2014
    Thank you. It seems there were other things for he 328 that must have been included elsewhere and not in the tool kit. I'm referring to the spare belts, plugs, bulbs, I believe an electrical tester, etc. Maybe they were housed with the jack set? Does anyone have a complete utilized breakdown of everything?

3. jaa1359

jaa1359 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 1, 2014
    Learning a bit more, the tool kit was seperate from the jack kit. Does anyone have an iemized listing of what was included in the jack kit? Was the working light separate or part of the jack kit? Also, what was included in the fuse and bulb container? Any help is much appreciated.

4. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #5 nerofer, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is a question that has been asked and answered a dozen times. Nevertheless...and at the risk of repeating myself...

The 328 tool roll is the essence of simplicity: it has NEVER VARIED. Consequently, either you have the right one, or not.

Its Ferrari part reference is 127589.

It includes, from left to right:

Two large screwdrivers (one flat blade, one Philips) and two small ones (one flat blade, one Philips) with Red-Brown translucent handles (NO Solid Black handles!)
    Almost all 328 tool rolls have screwdrivers marked "Ferrari" in white script on the handle.

Eight wrenches, flat, open-mouthed on both sides except for the 14/14:
    22/20; 19/18; 17/16; ONE COMBINATION WRENCH 14/14 (open mouthed one end, an eyelet on the other); 13/12; 11/10; 9/8; 7/6.

(an empty pocket in the tool roll after the 7/6 wrench, then the pliers)

One pair of pliers, black beak, red/orange thick plastic on the handle with "guards" for the fingers, usually marked "Kravm" on one handle, "Ferrari" on the other

A spark plug tool specific to the 3,2 engine, which has 12mm plugs, so inside the crown is 18mm (vs 21 mm for the 14mm plugs of the 3,0 engine)

Very few variation in these tools did happen:
    Some early production 328s are known to have received screwdrivers without the white "Ferrari" lettering on the handle.
    Most of the wrenches are marked "Chrom Vanadium Kravm" on one side of the handles, "Ferrari" on the other in raised letters and are bright chrom.
    Some tool rolls received dull chrom wrenches; a small number of tool rolls received dull chrom wrenches marked "Chrom Vanadium Kravm" on BOTH sides of the hanles (= No "Ferrari")
    That's all for the tool roll.

Rgds
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #6 nerofer, Feb 22, 2016
    Now the Jack Bag:

(illustration is Eurospare's remanufacture/reproduction of the bag)

(one vinyl black jack bag, with two beige leather belts around it)

- One BLACK (not yellow!) jack
    - One ratchet
    - One extension for securing the ratchet to the jack
    - One lug wrench with plastic sheath around the handle
    - One battery strap for lifting the battery out
    - One Emergency triangle (mad by Costaplastik) ONLY FOR EURO Cars, US cars' jack bags do not have one
    - The spare belts (do not use these after 30 years...)
    - Two spare plugs that are going in specific pockets inside the bag.
    - One Bulb Box, on which later information. Here you see that the one illustrated is the green "Rotor" Type, but...

6. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #7 nerofer, Feb 22, 2016
    ...the bub box in the 328 jack was usually the type hereunder, even if some cars did receive the green "Rotor" type bulb box.
    The content is again different from "Euro" to "US" Cars, as the "Euro" cars do not have sealed beams, they have a spare "H4" lamp in the central "cradle" where the US cars have a spare spark plug.
    Note that, for the type decrived here, some bulb boxes have the flat blades secured in an additional "rack" specific for them (the pic at the bottom) whereas in other bulb boxes, the blades were usually put tight agains the box itself by the synthetic foam.

Rgds

7. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    And the safety light (two type of jack plugs used) in its own plastic pocket (which tends to get brittle and tears up easily after all those years) usually goes in the jack bag, but are usually not in it these days, but kept in a drawer at home...besides, the jack bag and tool roll are usually not kept in the cars today either, they are replaced by an "ad-hoc" practical set specific to each owner, and the much valued originals stay at home...very probably in a vault, considering their raise in value.

Rgds

8. jaa1359

jaa1359 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 1, 2014
    This is precisely what I was looking for. Thank you for the detailed information. Very much appreciated.

9. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Any offers ?

I am still looking for the spark plug tool specific to the 3,2 engine, which has 12mm plugs, so inside the crown is 18mm.

Any help appreciated.

10. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Yup, owner's manual, jack bag, tool roll all under lock and key.

11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Wise Man, Lester; put the original "Lorioli" key fobs with that lot for good measure...

Rgds

12. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    How did you know? That is exactly where at least one is! so If I pass away, look in the bottom drawer of the "desk" in the "cave". My sons will know where to look.

Lester

13. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Because mine are in their drawer too; as is the replacement front fog light, original Carello glass, that will pay my retirement villa in ten years from now...

Rgds

14. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    My tool kits are both in the cars. I actually use them. The TR had a flat 400 miles from home. The 328 needed an alternator belt 300 miles from home when a piece of debris knocked it off out in the middle of the desert. I had all the tools and parts I needed in both cases.

15. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    That’s interesting Brian, because it mirrors the experience a friend had a few months back: he had a – small –problem with his 328 and said that he was “somewhat surprised” that he found everything he needed among the OEM tools.
    On the other hand, I have to observe that a “good to very good” 328 tool roll sold for “about 250€” here three years ago, but it would command “about 1000€” today…
    A good reproduction tool roll, with quality tools, such as the one superformance was (is?) selling, is probably a nice alternative to the OEM one. As for myself, the jack roll are still in the cars, but the tool roll has been replaced.
    And the emergency triangle is inside the cabin, as per a new regulation here...

Rgds

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I get what you are saying but I can take off the original fog and tail lights to protect them and the side mirrors. Where does it stop?

It is a car. I am going to enjoy it for what it is. Besides there was a certain enjoyment in using the original tools just as intended as they say. I'll take great care of it but it is a car. I have a few neat things that bring me joy to use and the 2 Ferraris are on that list, original tools and all.

17. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    The PO of my car did not include the tool roll or Jack roll. I had to purchase separately from folks on the list but not cheaply, in fact I have several cars that cost less than those two items so they are going to spend the rest of their life safe and sound except for shows, I mean that is why I bought them, and the $50 bag-o-tools from Lowes can do everything I will need.

But yes, I drive it, they are fun to drive!

18. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I have the same thinking. When the value of a car or it's accessories are getting to a point where you become a slave of your car there is no more fun to have.

I'm almost done collecting all the right parts for my 308 including tools, small rare parts, the last think I need to buy is the book pouch so I know how much they are all worth. Believe me they will ALL be in the car where ever it will be.

19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And your safety vest?

I don't know if I could follow all those rules.

This is Texas, I just carry my gun.

20. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    One is for shooting, the other for fun.

Sorry Brian, I just couldn't resist. A great quote from a great movie.

Sid

21. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The safety vest, I mean the yellow one (kind of waistcoat...) with the reflector bands, has to be inside the cabin too...you know how much space there is inside that cabin; I maybe thin (still...) but if they continue to add mandatory equipment, I shall need a bigger car.

Rgds

22. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    To hold the safety equipment?

Or tow a small trailer?

LOL....just kidding!!!

sid

23. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Perhaps only half-kidding, unfortunately, who knows? I wonder what they will come up with next time? Snow chains, perhaps?

Rgds

24. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    The spark plug tool is a very good design for its purpose and is difficult to better using standard tools.

Which is ironic as this is the only tool not included in the later factory replacement toolkits.