328 tyres | Page 2 | FerrariChat

328 tyres

Discussion in '308/328' started by Longstone Tyres, May 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Elentinos

Elentinos Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2011
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Erwin
    Strange fact is that the original tyres on the 328 were also V rated... Maybe V rating in the past differs from V rating today...

2. TacElf

TacElf Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 15, 2010
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Don't know about anyone else, but the V rated Goodyear Eagle Sports seem to work well on my 328. As far as I can see, these are commonly available (both front and back sizes). Good tire if you want something you can run year-round, in my opinion.

3. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Yes, I think the V was the top speed rating those years.

I would be very curious to know if a (new) 1985 V tire would pass the Z speed test today.

Ciao

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    V was the highest at the time.

5. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    #30 DGS, May 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You mean "legally"? The US Feds are more worried about tire pressure monitoring to protect Explorers from roll-overs than speed ratings. ;)
    (Remember that this was the government that imposed a "national 55 mph speed limit", while they could.)

Different population. I had a boss who was stuck at work because he had a flat on his seven year old Corolla ...
    ... and never before knew that there were factory wheel locks on his car, much less where the key was.

I've seen cars with the tires nearly deflated driving around D.C.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

miketuason likes this.
  6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    While in college I worked for one of the big tire companies. Part of the job was evaluating failed tires. Something on the order of 80% were the direct result of under inflation. I almost never test a clients tire pressure on a Ferrari and find the tire anywhere near proper inflation. People are killed because of under inflated tires but no one can go to the trouble to check.

7. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    does anyone here know how much a tire has to last to have that speed index rating? I mean: a V rating tire passes a laboratory test done at 240 km/h (I suppose) for some time: how long is that time? one hour?

Thank you very much

ciao

8. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
  9. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    That's nuts !

(I hope none of them ride motorcycles because bike tyres are far worse at holding their pressure!)

10. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
  11. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi

I meant to rely to this thread before

The good news is that Pirelli are now making 328 tyres again!

I have made a 328 web page https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/ferrari/328.html If you can think of any content that willl make this poage better please post it. If you have any pictures that would make this page better that would be great, for instance a 328 in period fitted with the Goodyears. Oor a photo in period or now with the P7 that would be great

Somewher back here there was discussion about speed ratings. the V speed rating and the Z speed rating are a bit vague, V meaning over 240 kmh & Z meaning over 2240 kmh. However the current Pirelli's 205/55VR16 P7 https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/ferrari/328/205-55yr16-pirelli-cinturato-p7-n4.html and the 225/50VR16 P7 https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/225-50yr16-pirelli-cinturato-p7-n4.html are both actually Y rated, but for fashion reasons they have managed to keep the writing as close to possible to the way it was in the day so they look great.

12. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    AFAIK V is till 240 and Z over 240. Couldn't this create problems at the german TUV? They are anal regarding speed ratings. In this case the inspector may ask to prove, that the actual speed rating is higher, than what's imprinted on the tire.

Best from Germany
    Martin

13. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi Martin

Just buy them here http://www.oldtimerreifen24.de/en/Tires/Radial-and-US-Tyres/205-55R16-91Y-Pirelli-P7-N4-Verfuegbar-Februar-Maerz-2019.html?listtype=search&searchparam=205/55

and http://www.oldtimerreifen24.de/en/oxid-oxid-5/225-50R16-92Y-Pirelli-P7-N4-Verfuegbar-Februar-Maerz-2019.html?listtype=search&searchparam=225/50

These guys are the German distributors.

The larger more visible writing, is as it was in period. However to comply with modern legislation there is also some extra small print on there about e marking, DOT marking, load rating and the, up to date, Y speed ratings etc

. It has not been simple, but Pirelli have been fantastic. They have even now managed to get a period crossply a V speed rating which a=is fantastic for the really early Ferrari

14. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    My set of Pirelli P7's just arrived today for the 328 !!

Hopefully will get around to fitting them in a week or so.

15. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi Rosey

Please send pictures and let us know how you get on

Rosey likes this.
  16. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Will do Dougal.

Just rewatched that great video of you and Harry Metcalfe discussing the OEM P7's on his Countach.

Do you know if he is still testing them or bought another set?

17. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    I sent him some tyres for his Lotus Elan the other day. i think he is possibly slightly caught in the trap of having too many cars to do much driving on them, or write anything about it. He is now involved with Octane magazine so i expect something coming up in there relatively soon.

He did say he loved the P7's though.

18. Freddie328

Freddie328 Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    That's the same tyre's that I've just fitted to my 328. I really like these tyres - the car is a lot less skittish than when it had Pirelli P zero assimmetrico's that were on there before and the ride is quieter.

Martin308GTB likes this.
  19. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    The main thing that people with cars of this period like about the P7 is the more predictable handling. because they are low profile tyres designed to be fitted to cars like a 328, where other tyres are designed for more modern chassis design.

And although the Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 is a great tyre, you have to admit, the tread pattern and the side wall design, look so very modern.

How much were they? were they cheaer than the P7?
    https://www.lucasclassictires.com/205-55YR16-PIRELLI-CINTURATO-P7-N4-2055516L.htm
    https://www.lucasclassictires.com/225-50YR16-PIRELLI-CINTURATO-P7-N4-2255516L.htm
    I think they are a good price.

i think if you buy Pirelli for a current Ferrari they will be more expensive?

Rosey likes this.
  20. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Since you asked.
    Yes, they were definitely. I purchased a complete set of the Exalto PE2 for my 16" wheels a few weeks ago and the whole invoice was EUR 550.00 ($615.00) including (!) mounting and balancing. While the P7 are EUR 990.00 ($1110.00) without (!) mounting and balancing and probably shipping costs.
    So each individual has to decide, whether the nice tread pattern is worth the extra charge.

The tread pattern looks more modern, that's true. But for my taste it's still acceptable. The great Michelin Pilot Sports 1st gen. were worse.

Exalto PE2:

Best from Germany
    Martin

21. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Dougal, do they make P7 in 17”?

22. Alfer

Alfer Formula 3

Sep 4, 2007
    NH/the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Menno
    I fitted last month ContiSport Contact for my 16# 328 wheels. the performance is extremely good and the looks I like a lot. Costs were €550,- inclusing mounting and balancing. Previous were Dunlop SP Sport Maxx TT also great tyres but the 225/50 16"are no more produced.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Albert-LP likes this.
  23. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal

Nope i'm afraid not

24. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    i can't believe you guys are sacrificing the handling of your cars based on saving a few hundred dollars; buying tyres that are built to be fitted on totally different kinds of cars.

Rosey likes this.
  25. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #50 Martin308GTB, May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Oh my!
    This is by far the best I have heard in conjunction with aggressive marketing of a tire more than double the price compared to any modern premium tire, from which I dont even know, if those classic P7s are still available, when I need a fresh rear pair in a few years.

Best from Germany
    Martin

mike996 likes this.