328 v 3.2 911 carrera | FerrariChat

328 v 3.2 911 carrera

Discussion in '308/328' started by Mckinney, Feb 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mckinney

Mckinney Karting

Mar 29, 2013
    Apologies if this has been asked before, but does anyone have personal experience on the question of whether a 328 or 308QV will run with a Porsche 911SC or 911 Carrera of the same vintage, with both cars fully stock? (I have the Carrera but not the 308/328)

The only comparison test I have seen is a piece called "a tale of two targas" from a British motoring magazine back in the 80's, which pitted a 308GTS QV against a 911 SC. The 911 was faster in a straight line up to about 100 mph, then the Ferrari edged away - beating the Porsche in the full mile as I remember. I don't recall whether there was a track comparison.

My own guess is that the Porsches are a tick or two faster in a straight line, with the Ferraris being better on a road course or top speed run. Would love to hear thoughts on this.

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The 328 will spank the Porsche 3.2 Carrera any day, anytime, anywhere.

Hinecker likes this.
  3. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Hinecker likes this.
  4. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I own a 328 GTS; I owned a 328 GTB; I owned three 911 3.2 G50 (a coupè, a targa and a cabrio...).

Here below my opinions:

-the 328 is a toy

-the 911 is a car

-the 328 is a great looking Ferrari (one of the best ever)

-The 911 is not so great looking (even if the G50 is one of the best looking 911 ever, and the G50 speester is the best looking Porsche ever) and nor a Ferrari too, of course.

-The 328 has much more low and mid RPM power

-the g50 is fantastic at top end and lacks of any vibration even when it hits the rev limiter.

-The g50 is the most reliable car I drove.

-The 328 is the most reliable Ferrari I drove.

If I had to choose one among them two, it would be the 328 without any doubt.

ciao

ARMBARBI48 and Hinecker like this.
  5. Mckinney

Mckinney Karting

Mar 29, 2013
    Thanks guys - no dissenting views?

Albert I have the same 911 variants you had - one of each body style - but have always wanted a Ferrari.

I assume the 328 is also more confidence inspiring on a twisty road and in the wet?

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Never owned a Porsche but drove and worked on quite a few of the type you ask about. I have always respected the Porsche, especially its simplicity but never liked driving it nearly as well as a 328.

To me the Porsche is nice transportation and every trip was "how far is it?". A 328 puts a smile on my face and every trip is "how far can we go?".

7. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #7 Albert-LP, Feb 2, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    I'm not a great driver, I never drove the 328 on the wet (but I did several times with the 911), but here you are my opinion: the 911 is much easier up to 80% of it's possibilities, but the only one i went over that level I almost hit a tree aside the road... Up to now, It never happened with the 328, that looks much safer when you are close to the car limit.

One thing is a plus for the 911: you never get tired to drive it, while after one hour you drive the 328, you are much more tired than on a 911. I would try to say this: the 328 is easier at high speed, the 911 is much easier at low speed (city driving).

I still think the 911 is the best sport car ever produced: the 328 is not a sport car, it's a small supercar, and that's another world.

ciao

PS
    I never measured it, but the sensation is that the 328 has much more power and it's much more faster than the 911 3.2, even if the gearbox is much slower than the 911 one.

The 911 has a better "jump start" as it looks lighter and there is no spinning from the rear wheels, so it's faster moving from the line

ARMBARBI48 likes this.
  8. Mckinney

Mckinney Karting

Mar 29, 2013
    Thanks Brian, Albert

I'm not a great driver either. I've never had a problem with the 911s but I'm not comfortable with them on wet roads or in the corners on asphalt roads. I need to do some track driving to learn where the limits are. Some guys seem to have a natural ability with them.

I don't think I could be without at least one 911, but a silver 328 GTS would go well with my black 911 cab - contemporaries that I couldn't have dreamed of owning when they were new!

9. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    911 is not easy on wet roads: the "drama" is when the road is wet, goes downwards and there are sharp turns: it's very easy to loose the control of the car in that situation. I had this very simple technique: brakes just with the car perfectly straight, and never do a turn with the gas pedal completely up (you just have to give a bit of gas when turning the car, expecially when you start turning the steering wheel). The 328 doesn't require any particular technique.

ciao

10. Mckinney

Mckinney Karting

Mar 29, 2013
    Albert, a quick correction. Two of my 911s are '84 models, so not G50s. The other is an '87 coupe. The 84's feel about 10-15% quicker than the 87 to me.

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #11 Rifledriver, Feb 2, 2016
    I used the 328 for a while as my commuter when the roads were wet rather than ride the motorcycle.

With good tires it is a very capable wet weather car with 2 exceptions. The wipers are just OK and the defroster is a little less than that. My Ford Lightning truck has better wipers and defroster but gets pretty tail happy on wet roads. The 328 is great and can be driven pretty aggressively in the wet with the right tires.

All very different modes of transport but the point is I don't feel out of place in one in the rain.

12. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I think the differences between these two cars, after 25-30 years, are relatively minor relative to any modern sports car. I've owned a 328 and 308 QV, and have driven '84 and '87 911 3.2s. Seat of the pants, the '87 911 (with the upgraded gearbox) is the one I'd have for lap times and endurance racing -- it's about 200 lbs lighter. I doubt it would out-accelerate a 328, but drag races were never a European car thing anyway.

But, more subjectively, I agree with earlier posts here: Much as I love the 356s for their eternal coolness, the 911s never really excited me -- they're extremely competent driving tools, and I admire the build quality, but even when I had my 993, I didn't think twice when the right offer came in and the car went away. My 328 was a car that was exciting every time I took it out, even if it was just a cars and coffee event. (And my first drive in a 328 is still one of the most memorable automotive events in my life.)

The 308, even the QV, is a notch or two behind the 911 3.2 and 328. At this point I think you buy one of those because it's prettier and feels a little more vintage (both good reasons, BTW).

13. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That is what happens when you add more weight...

14. millsj

millsj Karting

Oct 17, 2011
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I have both an '86 328 GTB and an '84 911 Targa-both stock. I live in coastal SC, so there are no fun roads in the area, so most of my driving is not in anger. This comparison is driving the cars around down or on country (straight) roads. The 328 definitely feels quicker in a straight line. The Ferrari has gated shifter, so the gear changes are much more precise. I have the 915 transmission in the 911. Visibility out of each is very good, but the 911 feels much more upright and taller. The 328's seating position is much lower. The more upright seating position of the 911 does allow the cool view of the headlights on either side of the hood. There is no comparison in sound. The Ferrari wins this comparison hands down in the higher RPM range. The steering of the Ferrari is heavier and has a more direct feeling to the road. The 911 is due for a suspension refresh, so this may contribute to the driving experience. The Ferrari also attracts much more attention.

Basically, they are both great cars, but very different. I prefer the 328, but the wife prefers the Targa.

PJM308 likes this.
  15. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #15 Albert-LP, Feb 2, 2016
    I would add this to the correct post of millsj (I agree with everything): the sound of the 911 at low RPM is simply fantastic. The 915 gearbox is a disaster, the g50 gearbox is way better. If you want to go fast with a 911 3.2 on a mountain road that goes downwards, you have to be a very skilful driver...

I repeat: if the comparison is between two cars, the 911 is way better. If the comparison is between two toys, the 328 is way better.

The 911 3.2 is a car and a toy: two cars in one. The 328 is just a toy, as a car is completely useless, but it's a more exciting and more good looking toy

ciao

16. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    I've had several 3x8s and over a dozen 911s (mostly air-cooled). After my first Ferrari which was a 328, I never considered any 911 as a replacement for my 3x8s. Aesthetically, there was no comparison; nowadays, I can't get over the impact bumpers. Both have ergonomic quirks which were mostly endearing. Keeping in mind stock setups, handling is better balanced with the 3x8s. I prefer the engine torque and power delivery of the 3x8, as I was reminded more of the early 911S engines wherein the power seemed to continue building up. 911 3.2s also felt less responsive to me.

During some nostalgic moments, I did buy a couple of 3.2 911s even after I've had 3x8s. Never kept them longer than three months and never to replace my Ferraris.

17. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Agree on the G15-G50 changeover.

Regarding the 328... mine was daily driver-ready and probably could be used as a car if you can handle the inevitable scrapes, nicks and scratches that come with using it that way. I don't think they are as fragile as the earlier Ferraris or some that followed.

18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    We had many clients use them that way and a few said it was the best car they had.

19. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    +1

The most fragile things about the 328 are the fiberglass spoiler, the soft paint, and the seat leather. They wear first. But the mechanicals are rock solid.

-F

20. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    The 328 is rock solid, very likely the most reliable Ferrari ever built. But the quality of the 911 3.2 is much better (everywhere, from the paint to the switches) and the car itself has much more room inside, it's easier to go in and out of the car, better visibility and many other things that are great in the everyday use.

The 328 is a fantastic car with very low problems, but it's not a Porsche: it's an Italian car with many low quality (and low price...) parts well concealed under the skin.

ciao

21. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    That's a very apt and concise way to describe them, I agree.

I used to club race BMW's and Porches yrs ago, the German marques are so easy to drive consistently and at the limit. They are engineered unlike most anything else, you don't have to wrestle them round the track like a Ferrari. But they do lack that tangible edge that one finds in a Ferrari.. the fear that it's going to spit you out or toss you into the weeds without notice. The level of excitement is different. But hey, that's just my opinion.

22. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I owned both. the 3.2 Carrera is a rev happy little beast. what a sweet machine to wring out every time you drive it. had a 3.2 m491 for 7 years...best car I ever owned.

qvee likes this.
  23. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    100% agree.

ciao

24. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Beyond a doubt, the fit and finish of the '80s 911s is definitely quite a bit better than any Ferrari. The pre-996 Porsches set a very high standard. Fortunately with the 328 the lower quality bits aren't mission-critical.

Also, build quality aside, neither the 328 nor 911 are all that hard to maneuver in traffic or to park. (Compared to a Countach, where you have to side on the door sill to reverse it and feel like you're sitting in a post box...) The drivetrain and Bosch electrics seem pretty dependable, and starting a 328 isn't much harder than a minivan. Braking and handling are still well within the standards of any competent modern car other than lack of ABS.

I'd agree a VW Golf is easier to drive as an everyday car, but the 328 is a "toy" in large part because most owners treat it as one. Maybe not a great car for very tall or very fat guys, but that's true of many two-seaters. Also I wouldn't count on either car in the snow, but then I wouldn't take a 458 or 991 in the snow either...

Maybe it's better to say that most of us buy and cherish the 328s for reasons having nothing to do with practicality and leave it at that.

25. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    That may be true but for me, I don't care. I respect Porsche but I have no emotional connection to the 911. It may be a fine car but it does nothing for me.

-F