328 v 3.2 911 carrera | Page 2 | FerrariChat

328 v 3.2 911 carrera

Discussion in '308/328' started by Mckinney, Feb 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    I just dont get the 911. Never have and never will. People go on about them being well engineered, reliable etc etc but there are plenty of other cars which are just as well built and practical and have the bonus of being less ugly and not having the engine located in the wrong place. There are also far too many of them, every car meet is infested with hundreds of the things.

If you take the emotion out of a car, as in the 911, the choice is endless. Nissan GT-R springs to mind.

2. millsj

millsj Karting

Oct 17, 2011
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I did forget to add the 911 requires a PhD to be able to operate the HVAC system. I have read the manual numerous times and am still at a loss as to how it is supposed to work.

2cam likes this.
  3. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I grew up around Porsches, my parents had a 944, an 86 Carrera 3.2, a 928S, and an 87 911 Turbo. I have also driven a 1989 911 with a G50 trans, a 944 Turbo, 944 Turbo S, and 944S2 Cabrio. The water cooled cars were very easily to just jump in and drive like a regular car, as they had modern features such as power steering, ABS, and very good visibility.

The Carrera and 911/930 Turbo were a bit more like the Ferrari, no power steering, sort of heavier feeling brakes, and took more effort to drive. The 328 revs higher, and has IIRC 213 lb/ft of torque and 260 BHP vs. the 84-86 3.2 Carrera which had 185 lb/ft torque and 200 BHP (I know the G50 cars 87-88 got a slight bump in power in US spec to 214bhp). The Ferrari feels like more of a special event when getting into its low slung interior, starting it, and rowing through the classic gated shifter, and the sound of the engine IMHO trumps the sound of the classic air cooled 911 engine (while distinctive ...I've heard it once described as sounding like an "Angry sowing machine.")

The 911s had better paint, and the interiors definitely hold up better to wear and tear. The seating position in the 911s was more upright, and the steering wheel felt more like it was at a normal position, rather than sort of canted like a bus steering wheel in the Ferrari. I really like the old air cooled 911s, but I have to admit I was never really fond of the floor mounted pedals. They always felt kind of awkward to me. While some folks did use 308s, and 328s are daily drivers, I personally think the 911 makes for a more convenient daily driver (better visibility, more upright/conventional driving position, handles wear and tear a bit better, attracts less attention, and putting lots of miles on Porsches doesn't have such a strongly negative effect on their value).

Overall both cars are fun, but if I could only have one I'd have a 328. I would love to add a 3.2 Carrera just for the hell of it. Having grown up around them I have sentimental soft spot for them, and I still love the shape. Wishing you luck with whatever you decide.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Steering wheel position is adjustable in 328.

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I don't find them all that attractive either, but you do get a lot of the mechanical directness in the air-cooled 911s that you don't get in any modern cars. And, it's unique.

A Nissan GT-R is a (very fast) video game on wheels, like just about any regular production cars built after 1990, IMHO.

6. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Looks are certainly subjective, but have you actually driven an older air cooled 911? IMHO they are a fun to drive (and that is part of the attraction). The build quality certainly exceeds that of many high end vintage cars of the 1970s - early 1990s.

As for the GTR, that's seriously ugly! On a related note, a guy saw me fueling my 328 at a gas station. He came over, asked a few question about the car. Then he told me he might get a GTR. I said "Oh that's a nice car, and wished him lots of luck with it." He chatted a bit more and then eventually said, "Your car is really nice, but I could never own anything that slow." To which I replied, "That's ok, I could never own anything as ugly as a GTR." To which he said something like, "You have me there. The GTR isn't good looking."

I knew part of it was adjustable. Is it simply the wheel, or is it the entire steering column with the wheel attached? I wouldn't mind the wheel being more vertical than angled, but I don't want to have the wheel actually lowered.

7. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    #32 andyww, Feb 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So they say but why would anyone look forward to opening their garage door to this?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    In baby poop brown no less.

9. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I bought a new 911 some years back, thinking that I "should" since it's supposedly a neat car. I never bonded with the car at all. It was certainly competent but that's the best I can say it about it. I kept it for 6 years (until it was paid off) and sold it without the slightest regret. I will admit that it sold in one, (yes ONE) day - to the first person who looked at it.

It was certainly not, IMO, any great shakes in quality - the engine had to be pulled twice for rear main seal replacement and they finally just installed a new engine. Also, the tranny synchronizers went out at around 53k miles...3k past warranty. I had to pay for that...

I found much of the typical German construction which seems to be based upon the philosophy of "why use one part when we can use 8 to do the same thing?" ... ;) My wife's last several MBs are exactly the same in that regard.

10. drbruno

drbruno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2014
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dr. Bruno L. Venditt
    I think the saying goes: "You date a Ferrari, but marry a Porsche."

11. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The 3.2's are bulletproof. The main seal issue came with the 986/996 series, IIRC.

If anything, the 911 3.2 and the Ferrari 3.2 are the "reliability cousins" of the marques.

12. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    +1

ciao

13. E38B12

E38B12 Rookie

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweden
    I've spent a lot of time tooling a 1984 3,2 around with the 915 gearbox, year round - snow, rain etc. back when they were worth peanuts. Driven the G50 quite a bit too but not half as much.

They're nice cars, the G50 much more user friendly but hardly more reliable if you know how to properly clutch. The 915 was after all initially built for competition. Very, very rewarding once you get used to it.

Now that both the 3X8 Ferraris and 911s have increased in value to silly amounts of green the comparison between the 328 and a 3,2 is a bit dated. If you want a Porsche, go Turbo for the sheer thrill.

I've always found that the 3X8 series cars are just as reliable as the Porsches if you properly use them as intended.

14. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Based on your screen name and the repair you describe, I'm guessing you owned a 996. Those were completely different from the air cooled 911s produced before it, and the 996s were junk.

996s were known for rear main seal leaks, IMS failure/engines grenading, and for having Boxster front fenders and interiors. The 996 lacked the quality and much of the hand workmanship that went into the earlier air cooled 911s. So it really doesn't have anything to do with the 3.2 Carreras the OP posted about in terms of comparisons. Check the pre-owned market and you will see how that is reflected on 996s which are the absolute bottom of the 911 market. An air cooled 911 with similar mileage and condition to a 996 will sell for a heck of a lot more than the 996. Cheers!

15. Mckinney

Mckinney Karting

Mar 29, 2013
    One thing is true about both cars - you rarely see them 'in the wild', especially the 328. I can't remember the last time I saw one on the street. It's a rare pleasure!

16. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I live in San Diego and it has been at least two years since I've seen another 308/328 on the road. I do see a 911 3.2 somewhat often, but to be fair the owner lives in my area...

17. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I remember looking at 996s back when they were new, and ended up buying a low mile 993 instead. Everything about the 996 screamed "cheap", except the window sticker, and that was before the RMS and other issues surfaced. I thought the "911" would be ruined forever by the 996, but to Porsche's credit the 991.2 looks like a really good (albeit complicated as hell) car. (They still need to call the guys at Audi and have them do the interiors, though.)

18. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I remember the first time I saw a 996 and thinking that it was hideous and that they had basically killed the 911 lineage. It was ugly, cheaply made, and increasing its size for more back seat room was ridiculous. Although, the 997 was a step in the right direction, I greatly prefer the more compact dimensions of the 993 and earlier models. The 997 and 991 are too large and have moved toward being more of a GT car than a sports car.

19. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I bought the 996 after test driving a couple of the pre-996 911's and found them to be...well, unsatisfying. I just never "got" the Porsche thing. One of the cars I test drove - a one year old air cooled car had trim parts falling off in the interior. I thought it was junk. Actually, I had no interest at all in a Porsche. My wife convinced me I should own one and you know the old saying, A happy wife makes a happy life. :)

20. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Sounds like the air cooled car you looked at was an anomaly or not well cared for. I've seen many air cooled cars over the years that looked nearly perfect, and held up to wear and tear far better than Fcars of the same age and mileage.

As for 996s, it was probably the worst example of a Porsche in many decades, so that couldn't have helped in terms of you connecting with the brand. In the end if Porsches aren't your thing, no worries. No car can be everything to everyone, and you have your 328! Cheers!

21. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Off topic, but the problem with vintage/classic cars in general is that you need to drive a properly sorted one to really know what they're all about. My first drive in nicely sorted early 911T, and in a 356B coupe, were both revelations. There were too many beat up cars back in the day. Same applies to Ferrari 328s.

22. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Well, that's true of course but, at the time I wasn't trying to buy an "old," classic car, I was trying to decide between a one-or two year old 993 911 or a new 996 911 as my daily driver (and only car), which the 996 became for the next 6 years.

23. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I have owned 911SC, Carrera, and 9960GT3. Both the SC and Carrera need serious sorting to get to the level of competence, and then they don't hold any candle to the GT3.

I also have seen a lot of junk SC and Junk Carrera on the market. There are junk cars everywhere, with every model. You have to pick and choose what you want to buy.

I would not buy an SC now for $40K, no way.

24. detroiter

detroiter Karting

Apr 30, 2013
    Munich, Bayern
    Full Name:
    Carter
    hahahaha! I have a 308 and a 911SC and couldn't agree more.

25. islandguy

islandguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Northern CA & NV
    Had an ’84 Cab for over 15 years. Magazine cover white over tan. The sounds were beautiful, pure Carrera. Never had any problems with it other than dead batteries if it sat for more than 2 months at a time. Be biggest issues were shift linkage and clutch (cable until ’87). Even with a shift kit it never worked well. And the seats were hard as a rock w/no support.

Compared to the 328 the Carrera was solid as a rock, not a single rattle, felt like a piece of iron. And although the #’s may state the 328 is faster, my perception was that the Carrera rev’ed more freely providing a noticeably better sensation when coming on cam. The 328 feels small, light, and the clutch - love it, as well as the click-clack of the shift gate. IMO it just feels slow. It does take a toll on your body after a 200 mile run, not a long distance car by any means.

qvee likes this.