328 vs. 355 Decision?? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

328 vs. 355 Decision??

Discussion in '308/328' started by BrandSB, May 6, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    I look forward to this thread one day. Is it a Euro 308? I love the Euro 308, but maybe that's just because it reminds me of a 288 GTO, which if I ever win the lottery will be parked in my garage the very next day.

2. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I tracked my 911 and my Ducati 996 at Lime Rock regularly until we moved out of NY in late '06 and have been racing at "sanctioned" locations since I was 17 - I am now 63. I wrenched and road-raced/drag-raced cars and bikes. I'd like to say I got it "out of my system" but I haven't. If we still lived in the US I'd still be going to the track somewhere.

I'm not sure my idea of trying 10mg of valium is enough. What do you "I don't need to be fast, I have a Ferrari" guys take?

:)

3. Falcon

Falcon Formula 3

Aug 19, 2008
    New England Region
    Full Name:
    Falcon
    I take a deep breath. I out ran a VW one day with my Jaguar. The kid was doing about 100mph and I decided he wasn't going to pass ME! He stayed with me to 120mph and then I walked away. What did I prove? I realized I had done something stupid. I risked being caught or worst hurting someone to show a kid my Jaguar is faster. Of course its faster. I decided from then on to let them go. The risks in racing are high and this was worst. Get some track time.

4. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    After having driven Z06s, Nissan GT-Rs, a supercharged Acura NSX, Porsche 911 turbos and some other rediculously fast cars I can say I have a different agenda in mind when I get into my 308 that NONE of the above cars fill. That is, personal driver satisfaction at a rediculously high level. The Dino crowd gets it as well. Dino's trade at substantial prices for a reason, and it's not because they are neck-snappingly quick. Are they quick enough? Sure, why not. It's the people who have gone stupid fast and know they don't need to go fast who really enjoy driving on an entirely different plateau. Everyone is indeed different, but the trend appears to have been set as far is vintage Ferrari's is concerned.

I know the 355 has issues but to me it is the ultimate evolution of the 308 and I adore the 355 to pieces. Yes, I will undoubtedly own one alongside my 308 in the next couple years. Will I have nightmares about headers and valve guides? Yes, but I dont care lol. quick, someone check my head!

5. BrandSB

BrandSB Karting

Jun 11, 2008
    Canton, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Steve

6. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Ive never even sat in a 355, but sure have read a lot about them, especially here on Fchat since I joined. Its a hell of a car, there is no doubt. But is it too much? They do seem to require vast sums of $$$$ to maintain/repair, its not for the faint of heart. But if your out to own the street, no Ferrari, a 355 or even an F-40 will ever be enough. A good running Hemi Cuda with the right gears would abslutely kill a Ferrari in a stop light race. Yeah, youll suck their freakin windows out once you get it wound up, but by then they will be stopping for the next light to kick your ass again while they laugh histerically and point fingers at that slow as dirt Ferrari. I know my 308 will leave an SUV in the dust once I get it up in the r's, but from a punch at the light a Jeep Cherokee gets away from me. I dont want to burn the clutch and beat on the car to try and eat one, and if I try I just look like a dumb ass.

Buy a 355 because you want a 355 and you can afford a 355, and leave the street racing alone. You cant compete, and you shouldnt even try, its retarded. When I drive the Ferrari I stay out of traffic, and if I do happen to get into traffic, I drive calmly. I know all the gear heads are watching, and I know ill get my ass kicked in the sprint. If your gonna drive it like you stole it, drive it like you dont want to be pulled over. Racing some retard in a Mustang or Corvette is just asking for it. Either to be laughed at, or stopped by a cop for inciting it.

7. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Actually, a 355 is going to be outgunned by a lot of modern performance cars as well. It's already a 14-year old design. You really do need to have a new car to win the stoplight drag races.

I think people recognize the 328 is an older car, but you could get historic plates for it, or plates that indicate the year. 260 bhp and 0-60 in 6 seconds was great 20+ years ago. Time may solve the problem in terms of new car owners wanting to race the '80s Ferrari.

Also, a 328 tends to be by far the best looking car on the road. I find more people want to look at it than race it.

Basically, all the really cool cars...

Leaving aesthetics aside, we have a lot of data on the 308s, 328s, 348s, etc. at this point -- maybe not so much the F430, as those are still newer. We know what breaks, what doesn't and when wear items tend to go. The quick answer is "they all break", but not according to the "newer is better" rule that applies to Honda Civics or other normal cars. Two 'Ferrari' people I know in San Diego have either been selling or working on 3x8s since they were new cars, and others on FChat are equally versed in every model and what fails.

Holding condition constant -- i.e., comparing only well-cared for examples of each model -- the 328 has the fewest electrical and mechanical weak spots, and is the best sorted design of the V8s. The 355, especially in F1 Spider configuration, seems to have the most potential issues due to its complexity and some design issues. The 348, love it or hate it, has both major and minor weak points peculiar to its design (some easily changed, like the inadequate alternator; some more involved, like the built-to-fail OEM gearbox; some chronic, like the single timing belt design.)

I work with economists and researchers in the business field, so while Ferraris are all about passion I think it's important to look at the numbers. The failure incidences on the 348 and 355 are more frequent (and entail greater cost, on average) than the failure incidences on the 328. There will always be statistical outliers (the 355 that has fewer problems than the Lexus), but for someone considering Ferrari ownership and concerned about the related costs, there are real reasons to consider the 328 as the best bet among the older cars.

Off the top of my head, I can think of 4 well known Ferrari techs and Ferrari dealership owners/personnel who keep a 328 as their personal Ferrari. It may also be the model most often sought when owners sell a more recent Ferrari -- I don't know if that is true, but anecdotally it seems to be.

In terms of looks, everyone buys what they like and thinks it looks the best. That's just how it goes with cars. I think the 308-through-355 run is the sweet spot, but others here like the 360/F430 design. I happen to love the original 348 design (except the wheels).

8. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    If you somehow end up in San Diego, PM me. Between me, Rimoore, DMoore and 3forty8, I think we have all the classic V8s covered.

9. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The HP wars will continue. They have already gotten out of hand IMO. I had a Subaru STI for a few years and I reeled in 355's with it on track days, though not easily. Now there are many faster cars. My 430 was a top dog when I got it in 2005. Now it's already yesterday's news, at least in the power wars. But it has more than enough power for me, thank you. 328's were one of the fastest cars you could buy in the late 80's. Now they are slugs. But I still like the way the motor runs/feels more than most much faster modern cars. I used to take the STI to the track because the 328 got run over there, but when it came time for a drive on a twisty public road, I always reached for the 328 keys.

Dave

10. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I agree completely. I didn't mean to imply that I don't race on the street because I don't think I can win. I want a 355 for a lot of reasons but racing every idiot with something to prove isn't one of them.

11. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    #61 mustardfj40, May 8, 2009
    Last edited: May 8, 2009
    When I bought my 328 some 10 years ago, the price range of 355 was still in the 6-digit range, I also liked 355 styling and much more powerful engine. Now looking back I'm glad I picked the 328 because:

- The 328 aged pretty well compared to 355. The 328 is iconic, most knows it's a Ferrari.
    - The 328 is simpler for DIY maintenance, I looked at the procedure for dropping the 355 engine for a belt change, it's a much more involving and you need a quality lift installed in your garage to get the car up in the air, For the 328 all you need is 4 jack stands.
    - The 355 seems to break down more often.
    - I thought some of the 328 parts are crazily expensive but the 355 parts are even more expensive!!!

If you're OK financially with the often 5-digit repair/maintenance bills then get the 355, otherwise I think the 328 is a pretty good starter Ferrari.

12. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "Mike, you gotta get over that, man. I have a good friend who's just like you."

Yeah, I agree it would be good to get over it. You made some good points that I should consider. Maybe putting the historic plate on it would be a good thing. That way it would feel OK to just ignore folks because, after all, it's an OLD car!

13. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    Lot's of good advice here. Take your time and once you ride in both it will be easier to decide. Don't make a snap decision after riding in either one of them. The 328 would get my vote for your first one, but their really isn't anything that sounds as cool as a 355 with a capristo; seriously it will make you spooge.

MB

14. BrandSB

BrandSB Karting

Jun 11, 2008
    Canton, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for the generous offer, I'll absolutely be in touch if I'm planning a trip out. Based on all the feedback here I've re-started a parallel path to the F355 I'm looking at and have found a prospective 328. Still going through the records, history, logistics, etc. with both vehicles, and need to get a look at examples of each body style here locally in MI before getting to the offer stage (any 328 owners in the area?) but it's all progressing nicely.

All the perspectives and experiences shared have been extremely helpful and are much appreciated. I'll keep you all posted!