328: Wheel caps disappeared! | FerrariChat

328: Wheel caps disappeared!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Gatorrari, Jun 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    When I bought my 328 several months ago, I noticed that the wheel center caps were all cracked, two rather badly.

I bought a replacement set on eBay that were supposedly OEM from Italy, and aside from the fact that they were flat rather than crowned, they seemed like a good match for the originals.

When I installed them (with the O-rings taken off the old caps), the only difference seemed to be that the plastic was a bit softer than the old ones, but the fit tolerances seemed similar.

Well, on my first drive, I stopped along the way to get some keys duplicated, and upon leaving the car, I noticed that 2 of the new caps were missing! When I checked the other 2, one was still good and tight, but the other was very loose, so I removed it and put it in the car. (Fortunately, I still had the old set, so temporarily I put them back on, though minus 2 of the O-rings.)

I should point out that at no time when outside the garage was I out of sight of the car, so the caps were not stolen, they just fell off.

Considering they seemed tight enough when I put them on, what happened here? Is it possible the caps are shrinking (or the wheels expanding) in normal driving? Anyone have any bright ideas?

2. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    Maybe they weren't really OEM (?)

3. jr328gtb

jr328gtb Karting

May 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Roberts
    you can get another set from Ferrari UK for a pretty fair price..i forget how much , but it was reasonable..and it probably really is OEM

4. 328Matt

328Matt Karting

Dec 3, 2003
    Lymm,Cheshire
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I bought some from ferrari uk 6 months ago-cost £92

5. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Are those flat ones fakes? I was told they were OEM as well. Heh. I just got a set as a spare.