328 Will Not Start | Page 2 | FerrariChat

328 Will Not Start

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by RussF, Sep 3, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RussF

RussF Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    Disregard my observation about not being able to get at the electrical connections for the FP. I just was not far enough under the car. I can now get at them. As I said in my previous post I am looking for a way to know that voltage is getting to the FP because if I know that voltage is at the terminals of the FP but it is not running then I can be sure that I need a new FP.

Thanks again to all.

2. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    From where you sit, put a volt meter across the fuel pump. If you have 12 volts and no pump operation, you have a bad pump. If you don't have voltage across the fuel pump, you can disconnect the car wiring and apply an independent 12 volt supply to verify that the pump runs.

If you look at jim (gatsby)'s link, you'll see that the pump and accumulator are mounted on a triangular plate. You could remove that plate if you're having trouble reaching the electrical connectors.

But you need to track down why there isn't voltage from the car, if there should be.

Is anything coming on with the ignition? E.g. Fuel gauge?

When you turn the key to "on", both relays "u" and "s" should activate. In a quiet garage, you'll hear them click. In a noisy garage, you can feel them activate, if you place a finger on them. (Be advised - they get warm.)

When you turn the key to "start", that runs power through relay "s" to activate relay "r" which powers the fuel pump. When the car begins to injest air, the AFM plate moves off its rest position, opening the safety switch. That deactivates relay "s", and ignition power (from relay "u") holds relay "r" active. If the car stalls, the AFM plate returns to rest, activating relay "s" and cutting off power to the fuel pump relay "r" until you hit the starter again.

If you turn the key to "on" and press on the AFM plate, relay "s" should click off and relay "r" should click on ... and the fuel pump should run.

If none of the relays are operating, you might have a connector problem right at the relay board.

A continuity meter by itself isn't going to help, here. You need a volt meter to look for voltage switched on at the appropriate times.

By "washington", do you mean DC or state?

3. RussF

RussF Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    DGS. I live in Washington State near Spokane.

I turned on the ignition and heard the relays click on. I then pressed on the AFM plate and heard relay s click and as I said in a previous post there is 12 volts at the FP relay r. Am going to turn in but am taking tomorrow off for more troubleshooting

Thanks again to all.

4. RussF

RussF Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    Correction. I think that it was relay r that clicked when the AFM plate was depressed.

5. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    Russ:
    Because the relays seem to be clicking, it sounds like the system "may" be working and the pump may be bad. At this point, I would apply 12V directly to the fuel pump if the pump runs then you will need to look upstream.

Mark

6. DGS

Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Well, that makes it a tad harder for me to drive over (from VA) with a meter and power supply. ;)
    Actually, it should be both.

Your next step would be to pull the blue safety switch connector, turn on the ignition, and check for 12 volts across the fuel pump itself. (Some Radio Shack jumper "test leads" might be handy for connecting the meter to the pump terminals.)

If you have voltage across the pump, but it doesn't run, then there's something wrong with the pump. Otherwise, there's a problem getting voltage from the relay to the pump -- a wiring or connector issue.

7. RussF

RussF Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    DGS. Thanks for the thought of coming over to help. I don't seem to live near anyone with experience with these cars. Here is the latest.

Got some long leads from Radioshack and hooked them to the pump and a volt/ohm meter.
    Disonnected the blue fitting to the AFM.
    Turned the ignition on but could not detect votage across the pump. I got a good ground and poked around the FP fitting with a rubber sleave over it but could not pick up voltage.

Recall the car ran fine right into my garage. No wet weather driving and I had not washed it. Next morning would not start. Hard to conclude that it is a wiring problem but that seems to be where I am headed.

Any suggestions for what to check next since the fuses and relays all appear to be serviceable?

8. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Russ -- Do you have a copy of Fig 2 from the '89 328 wiring diagram from Steve Jenkin's site? My comments will use some of those names/labels.

Remove relay r and confirm that there is always +12V (relative to ground) on the terminal 30 female socket (even with the key "off").

If not, indicates something wrong with the PWB itself and/or fuse/fuse holder.

If OK, jump the "r" relay socket 30-to-87, and measure the voltage from the large P (beige) wire in the w connector on the left side of the fuse/relay panel (4th from the top) to ground. Leave the w connector plugged in for this measurement -- just touch one meter probe to the metal terminal holding the large beige wire and the other to a decent ground (but it wouldn't hurt to remove/inspect/reseat the w connector first).

If this is OK when relay r is jumpered (i.e., it measures +12V), but the large (P) beige wire at the fuel pump is still not at +12V relative to ground, there is another connector 144 behind the passenger footrest that the large P beige wire passes thru -- you'd measure/inspect there next (you should be able to identify it just by size/color).

Those are all of the connections that are shown on the schematic, so if you've really got +12V at the relay r socket available, you must have a break somewhere if you don't get +12V at the fuel pump with the relay r socket jumpered 30-to-87.

9. RussF

RussF Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    Thanks TR. Check one on your list was OK. 12V relative to ground at terminal 30.

However when I jumped 30 to 87 on relay r the 15A fuel pump fuse blew!!. Should this measure voltage with the ignition off as well?

By the way can the w connecter be removed. It looks like it can if you compress the upper and the lower.

10. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Russ -- I have to say your "story" seems to be meandering all over the place ;)

If the fuse is not blown, there will always be +12V on terminal 30 at relay r (regardless of key "on" or key "off").

Since the 15A fuse blew, you should replace the fuse with a new one, unhook the P beige wire from the fuel pump, and try jumping the relay r 30-to-87 again:

If the fuse still blows, you have a short in the wiring or PWB somewhere.

If the fuse now doesn't blow (when you add the 30-to-87 jumper at relay r), measure the voltage at the (loose) P beige wire you unhooked from the fuel pump relative to ground. If it is now at +12V relative to ground, touch it back onto the "+" fuel pump post -- if the fuse blows and the pump doesn't run, you can be fairly sure the pump electric motor is bad and/or frozen.

I've never directly fondled the w connector on a 328, but IME all similar F connectors are unpluggable/repluggable if you "open" whatever mechanical retaining clips/features are present.

Sigh...I was hoping this wouldn't take 30+ posts as all of DGS's posts were perfectly on-target...

11. RussF

RussF Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    I replaced the fuse and did a test which I think cuts through a lot of the relay tests and if I am correct will make troubleshooting for the next guy a lot quicker with less "meandering."

With the blue switch at the AFM disconnected I turned on the ignition and got a 12V reading at the beige wire which indicated-as I learned from 91TR-that 12V is headed out of the fuse box to the pump. This I suggest should be the first test in the troubleshooting tree as it confirms-unless I missed something-that the relays are all working. It is also the easiest.

Now I will check the connector behind the footrest. That may be where the problem is because the prior owner had some stereo amps etc. placed there.

12. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Russ -- I forgot to add that since you now report a fuse blowing would you please double-check that relay s is a ...101 relay and relay r is a ...113 relay (sometime in all the swapping this can get messed up).

13. RussF

RussF Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    Here is the latest. By the way 91TR provided the breakthrought information in his post referencing the beige wire at the side of the fuse panel.

1. Determined that I had voltage at the beige wire-12v.

2. Could not measure voltage at beige wire at the pump. Recall the AFM safety circuit was disabled so I should have picked up the voltage without having to crank the motor.

3. Ran a jumper wire from the just beige wire to the FP and it activated when I turned on the ignition.

4. Did a continuity test from the beige wire at the fuse panel to the place where it connects at the FP. It was an open.

5. Next I am going to check the beige wire as it goes behind the behind the passenger footwell.

14. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Sorry if I was a little gruff earlier Russ -- sounds like you've got it surrounded now ;)

Although I can't yet understand how an "open" beige wire to the fuel pump would cause the fuse to blow when jumpering relay r? If the fuse was going to blow with relay r jumpered, it should blow when the safety switch is unplugged and the key is "on" (which "closes" relay r and does the same thing as the jumper -- hooks 30-to-87).

15. DGS

Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    How'd the connector on the fuse block look? Any discoloration on the connector shell? (15A is a lot of current for those connectors).

You'll want to see if you have voltage on both sides of the connector behind the footwell. If you have voltage there, but not at the pump, you'll have to trace the wiring harness between the two.

If it's not a connector, you might also want to check the garage space for rodent sign.

Jumpering a Bosch relay socket with a bare wire can be tricky -- and the fuse panel being "hot" with the key off catches people out.

16. RussF

RussF Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    DGS. Can you tell me how to get at the connector behind the footwell. On my car I pulled back the carpet passenger side and there is a panel there but it does not seem to want to come out. Perhaps I go in through the trunk by removing the plastic panel that encloses the brake fluid resevoir etc.

17. DGS

Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    You can't go through the forward well -- there's a structural plate between.

You peel back the carpet on the pass side. There are four large screws on either side of the panel, straddling the velcro strip that holds the carpet. Peel back the plastic liner at the bottom and you'll see two more large screws.

In all, there are six screws, three on either side. Then the panel comes off.

You might have to maneuver around the side carpet and the center leather covered kick plate to get to the other side, but the panel should be loose when you remove the six screws.
    As I don't think there's room under that panel for a stereo amp, I'm presuming it was mounted on the upper side? That may be masking some of the panel mounting screws.

---
    Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with XP

18. mikeg

mikeg Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Sounds like a bad crank sensor

19. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I know this is an old thread but the information helped me big time so I thought I'd add some more detail for the next guy trying to figure out why his fuel pump doesn't run:

Ok, Did everything mentioned in this thread and still no juice at the fuel pump. Got some additional tips from this thread( very good) http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/sho...ump+328&page=2 I removed relay "U" and jumpered 87 to 30 and still nothing at the pump. Went to Ferrari.jenkins.org and looked at the wiring diagrams online. Found I had 12v on connector "W" which is a vertical conector on the left side of the fuse panel and probed the 4th one down(biege) and had 12v there with relay "U" jumpered. Looked for the next connector in the wiring diagram which was connector 144 located behind the panel in the passenger footwell. It is one of the two attached to the car not the back of the panel. As soon as I tried to push my meter probe into the beige wire in the lower left the pump started to run. Figured I'd document my journey and pay it forward for the next guy in honor of those who posted the tips that got me started in the right direction. Also found my clutch cable is starting to fray while I was under there. Thanks again for the help. I can post some pics of connectors if anyone thinks its worth the trouble.

glenegan likes this.
  20. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #45 KKRace, Aug 31, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Just posting something here to keep this from getting deleted for being too old.

22. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Great pics... this was the source of my problem as well... infuriating... I had a wire spliced in with a fuse... since then no problems. I am betting this is your issue.

Tom

23. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
  24. glenegan

glenegan Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2007
    California
    13 years later I just encountered the exact same thing as Kevin, trying to debug the whole thing and got to the "testing voltages at all the contacts" part, as soon as I pushed the test probe on to the beige brown wire on connector "W" the fuel pump spun up. Now I just have to figure out how to get it to stay on with out the probe jammed in there lol

25. glenegan

glenegan Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2007
    California
    Thank you all so much for documenting all of this - my 2nd day with '88 GTS :D