328 with 360 wheels...WITH PICS | Page 2 | FerrariChat

328 with 360 wheels...WITH PICS

Discussion in '308/328' started by Auraraptor, Apr 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Sh*t, I just bought 2 sets of wheels for my Miata because I couln't decide. HotWheels & Enkeis. I change wheels like shoes. BTW: Yokohama AVS ES 100 on both sets. Gotta do it.

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I agree, but it is a necessary evil, as any lower and I would be hitting the road on our wonderful PA and MD roads. :(

3. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Omar, i really like the look of the wheels on the 328, great work!

4. MrApex

MrApex Formula 3

Jun 4, 2004
    Niagara Region
    Full Name:
    Andrew B.

Omar, I also thought that the car should be lowered. However, you've provided a great reason why they shouldn't.

I'm not up on Ferraris from a tech standpoint, but can I ask how/if the new shoes will affect speedo readings?

5. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Where's the picture of Omar's serial number...? :)

6. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Very slightly. The percent difference is 0.84 between the 2 wheels, so 70 is now 70.59.

7. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Move thread to Classic to gather some views. :)

8. surfdoc37

surfdoc37 Karting

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Mark M.
    Question: How/where did you get a set of 4 fronts? I have a set including the 10" rears, I think they're just too fat, would like to go to all fronts but having a lot of trouble just finding that pair.

9. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    #34 Zertec, Apr 18, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is something I have been using for a while. It is a rough tyre size comparison sheet.
    (I have included the metric size 390s in as well)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    I'd recommend sending the rears to Weldcraft in Plymouth, MI.
    http://www.weldcraftwheels.com/
    They can do wonders with wheels.
    I've gotten a pair narrowed from 10"-8.5". Heck, if I'd gotten that one refinished already I'd offer to trade you your wheels plus cash! If I was doing it again I think I'd go for 8.75" or maybe even 9". Costs about $250. Tell 'em I sent ya!
    (Do a search on Weldcraft to see other people's dissenting opinions.)

11. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    It took a long time to find. I bought just a set of fronts first from one seller, then 3 or so months later one more front. It took me over 6 months to locate the last front needed.

12. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    #37 TexasMike, Apr 18, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. jscar71

jscar71 Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2004
    Montreal Qc, Canada
    Full Name:
    JScar
    Really nice wheels, I just love the way it modernizes the car. Bought the same set for my own F-Car.

14. tele013

tele013 Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2003
    Malaga, Spain
    Full Name:
    jesus
    Hi Mike, nice pics.
    I have some questions.
    - Are these oem wheels with the same size of 360?
    - Is necessary to put spacers?
    - Do you think is possible to fit on my 328?
    - Have you low the 308? (it looks so fine)
    Thanking in advance.
    Jesus.

15. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    It is not my car, but I can probably get answers to any questions you have since the owner also owns an Independent Ferrari service shop. All I know right now is that they didn't just bolt right on. I will get back to you with the answers.

16. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    I'm a couple of days away from posting how i know this, but I'd wager they're real 360 wheels as they can be made to fit a 308, there are several people on this baord that have them. For spacers, 20mm is needed on the front. There are issues with the rears, they're a little wide for the car. 2 solutions are to modify the rear suspension (a few searches will turn up info on that) or you can get the rears narrowed from 10" to something like 8.5-9" at, say, Weldcraft in Plymouth, MI, www.weldcraftwheels.com I hope you have a non-ABS car if you're asking if they'll fit on your 328. ;) I can't say for sure, but I think it should work very well. And that 308 is lowered. But I don't know how.

17. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    I know for a fact that they are real 360 wheels. I don't know much about working on cars and I don't pretend to, but the owner has the knowledge and the equipment to make his own parts if he wants or needs to.

18. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    That's my Euro QV

Yes they are OEM 360 front and rear
    YES they are OEM specified 18" tire sizes
    Yes you have to put spacers
    YEs you have to use different bolts
    Yes you have to play with suspension in the rear.......multiple options, but all require quite a bit of head scratching/engineering.....we chose to develop different shocks.
    Yes you have to modify rear inner fender wells
    Anything is possible, they will fit 328

BTW, this is not a new thread. Search the archives, there is all kinds of talk about this conversion.

However.........no one has done what we have done. Double adjustable Bilsteins for prototype 1. Prototype 2 are Triple adjustable "Nitrogen canister" MOTON shocks we are currently developing for stock 308/328s and for converting to 18".

Everything I have read on former threads have serious compromises to make it work. My shop, Moorespeed Race Engineering in Austin, does more than aesthetics....i.e. it has to be road worthy and track worthy. We won't compromise. We have done all the prelim. suspension calculations including bump steer but we are still testing valving. BTW, This is my personal car, so it makes a great test mule for developing performance upgrades for the 308/328 series cars. IT HANDLES a JILLION times better than stock, but has room for improvement. We are also working on a brake package. However, we are also in the midst of the racing season and time is a premium, so it may be a while before we offer these various "Kits". Since we are primarily a race prep shop that supports customers to tracks accross the country and overseas, I have the opportunity to drive at the national level in a number of series. Our cars are consistently on the podiem, so I am VERY picky about how a car handles. In other words and it has to be damn right. So it may be a while before we have this nailed as this is a "free time" project. I've been driving it with the 18's on the road now for going on 10 weeks.

Dave

19. tele013

tele013 Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2003
    Malaga, Spain
    Full Name:
    jesus
    Thanks to all, i love this chat...
    Regards, Jesus.

20. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    great looking wheels, would like to see a picture outside in the sun. Next project is to upgrade the brakes.

21. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I made custom studs and off the shelf chrome lug nuts to mount mine. I wasn't really concerned about stud diameter because the wheel keys on the hub and the cones on the nuts, the stud is never supposed to touch the wheel.

For a 308, the fronts needed a 25mm spacer and long studs, but I guess on an ABS car the offset would be about right. That would let you use the 575 bolts, but you may need to cut smaller threads on them if Paul is right.

22. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    They look almost (!) as good on the car the as the original wheels .. .. and I am reliefed that you did not pursue your original plan to ruin the looks of this beautiful car by attaching the 512 M-wheelset to it ;)

23. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    The ride height must be fixed.

24. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    Hill Engineering, one of FChat's sponsors, makes any wheel bolt you want. I bought all of the ones needed for my conversion from them along with the spacers. Even with the pound to dollar conversion, they were very reasonable and very knowledgeable. They are cool guys and make great stuff.........why we ended up becoming a dealer.........there stuff rocks and is of the highest quality.