328 XC x 2 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

328 XC x 2

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Glen_Lloyd, Jul 2, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Glen_Lloyd

Glen_Lloyd Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 13, 2003
    Lloydminster AB
    Full Name:
    Glen
    #51 Glen_Lloyd, Jul 25, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Today I went to the birthplace of Canada... Confederation Hall in Charlottetown. It is quite small...but I guess they got the job done. I toured the downtown on foot, this is only older city I have been in that has wide streets. I then headed out on the Tran Canada Highway to complete my goal of driving the whole TCH across Canada. 13465 kilometers, 25 days...I have no idea what I was thinking when I came up with this plan, I must be nuts. I think every fishing boat in PEI is in a driveway, being readied for the tuna fishing season having completed the lobster season. The site-seeing is over now, heading back tomorrow morning, planning to drive through the USA on interstates...that should be quite a bit quicker than the trip through northern Ontario and probably better road too.

Pic 1 Confederation House
    Pic 2 Confederation Hall
    Pic 3 Downtown Charlottetown
    Pic 4 John Dere - not sure what it does, but was interesting
    Pic 5 Fishing boat in drydock..driveway
    Pic 6 Lighthouse, built in 1867, east point of PEI, Cape Breton across strait
    Pic 7 Tides colliding: St. Lawrence and Northumberland Strait
    Pic 8 Typical PEI farm by the ocean, villages with large white church
    Pic 9 Mussel farms are everywhere in the Maritimes
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. DP1

DP1 Rookie

Jul 9, 2005
    What a great trip! I am so enjoying all the sights you are seeing. Did you get a chance to go into Green Gables? That would be a place I would love to see because of the TV series. It is nice to check into this site each evening to see what you have seen. Keep posting these great pics. Mrs DP1

3. Glen_Lloyd

Owner

Dec 13, 2003
    Lloydminster AB
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Left PEI and travelled across New Brunswick, Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusets and into New York. It was extremely hot in New England, close to 100 degrees. The smog is unreal, I couldn't breathe right, this place is not healthy. The car struggled with the heat... I had to stop twice and lift the engine hatch to cool things down when I got stuck in stop and go traffic where construction was happening. I am certainly glad my A/C worked when I was mobile.

1401 Km's today

4. Glen_Lloyd

Owner

Dec 13, 2003
    Lloydminster AB
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Passed through New York today, crossed Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana to end the day in Lake Forest Illinios where I bought the car. I might stay one more night here as it is cooler here and I am not sure how long my car will be in the shop for a checkover and oil change before I continue on. It was nice to get out of the the rain and heat. The rain was like nothing I have ever seen before.. it was like a cloud of drizzle with heavy rain drops in it and it was 80 degrees. Also nice to get out of the rocks and trees and into some farm country today. It is really quite amazing how little land in Canada is suitable for a sizeable farming operation.

5. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Woah, that is alot of driving! Well, looks like it was a great trip.

6. Glen_Lloyd

Owner

Dec 13, 2003
    Lloydminster AB
    Full Name:
    Glen
    #56 Glen_Lloyd, Jul 29, 2005
    A bit of a setback today...my engine oil cooler has developed a crack, will have to wait until tomorrow for parts. Will definately be staying over. Went to the beach today and enjoyed the nice day. Lake Forest is the nicest city I have ever visited. I was going to be too busy driving to get pics but for all you car guys out there; here are some of Lake Forest Sports Car's facility and their shop. Two Dino's, two F40's, a GTO, a 430 coupe and spyder, a 612 and various other cars.

Pic 1 Lake Forest Sports Car Facility
    Pic 2 Ferrari Shop.. Dino, 2 F40's, 456, 575, 348 and my 328 (not bad company)
    Pic 3 Dino 1
    Pic 4 Dino 2
    Pic 5 GTO
    Pic 6 GTO engine
    Pic 7 GTO

7. Glen_Lloyd

Owner

Dec 13, 2003
    Lloydminster AB
    Full Name:
    Glen
    #57 Glen_Lloyd, Jul 29, 2005
    LFSC's got the car repaired for me, oil changed and a quick wash (sure needed that) and I was on my way again. Chose not to take the interstate out of Chicago... that was a good move...Friday afternoon the interstate is pretty crowded. Went across country to Madison Wisconsin, fine country roads... winding and smooth, through little towns, was a great drive and probably faster than the interstate. Corn is getting pretty high... driving car is like being in a tunnel, the corn is far higher than the 328. Officially in the west again...crossed the Mississippi river this evening... made it to Albert Lea Minnesota for the night...with luck I will be in West Yellowstone tomorrow night, which will be the highest elevation I have had the car at so far...hopefully the fuel injection system can handle 6600 feet.

Pic 1 328 beside a corn field planted to roads edge

8. Carrera_gtcrazy

Carrera_gtcrazy F1 Veteran

Oct 24, 2004
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stephan Bauer
    That 288 GTO is beautiful!!!!

9. rush109

rush109 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Joshua McRae
    288 gto°s rule all that live, 5 times full...

10. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    A number of details on that 288 look strange. Are you sure it is real?

The quick things I noticed were:

- Venting between the rear tailights
    - Front and rear bumpers (maybe federalization)
    - The engine looks a little off

I may be wrong though

11. Glen_Lloyd

Owner

Dec 13, 2003
    Lloydminster AB
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Today started off good, everything was going fine.... and then the South Dakota heat (105 degrees) and I think some bad fuel caused some severe vapour lock. I was down for 4 hours letting the engine bay cool, 20 minutes of driving one hour of cooling.... very frustrating. After 6 PM the air was cool enough for the car to run fine and as a result I made it to Billings with no further incident. Finishing this trip is going to take a change in strategy.... driving early morning until noonish...then a siesta for the car until about six then more driving....unless the weather takes a turn for the cooler. The afternoon siesta will solve all the trouble I am having keeping the engine bay cool enough to let the fuel system and electrics live. If the plan isn't working, change the plan... no use beating the old one to death.

12. Glen_Lloyd

Owner

Dec 13, 2003
    Lloydminster AB
    Full Name:
    Glen
    It is real to the best of my knowledge... but no guarantee it hasn't been modified... I know suspension pieces were powder coated. If it isn't real whoever did it did a heck of a job on the interior and the engine mods and the rear quarter windows.... no one at LFSC's hinted that it was anything but real....

13. Glen_Lloyd

Owner

Dec 13, 2003
    Lloydminster AB
    Full Name:
    Glen
    #63 Glen_Lloyd, Jul 31, 2005
  14. Glen_Lloyd

Owner

Dec 13, 2003
    Lloydminster AB
    Full Name:
    Glen
    #64 Glen_Lloyd, Aug 2, 2005
    Spent day in West Yellowstone... visited friends. The combination of high temperature and high altitude (highest on trip at 7280 feet) leaves power output down significantly... definately need some turbochargers up here. The fuel injection definately works as the car ran fine.... WEBERS would be a disaster here, I don't think a car with carbs would run up here without being retuned-rejetted. Left at 7:30 PM to avoid hot day in northern Montana ( 90+ at Great Falls). NO hassles at the border and I was back in Canada... continued to Calgary.

Pic 1 My new WANNABE co-pilot getting ready for his first Ferrari ride.

15. Glen_Lloyd

Owner

Dec 13, 2003
    Lloydminster AB
    Full Name:
    Glen
    #65 Glen_Lloyd, Aug 2, 2005
    CALGARY Headed over to ZR for a detail job... the car is pretty messed after a month on the road... Maurice is going to work his magic. Also going to lose the cat to see if it helps in getting engine bay temps down and helps get away from the vapour lock situation In hard running and high ambient temps situations.

Pic 1 ZR Auto: Ferrari and Lambo Central in Alberta

16. Glen_Lloyd

Owner

Dec 13, 2003
    Lloydminster AB
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Picked up my car from ZR... great work Maurice, looks brand new. The drive home was uneventful... the test pipe and new O2 sensor picked up the performance considerable... runs like when I left. Back in Lloydminster... over 20,000 km's coast to coast, from sea level to over 7000 feet of elevation and the car made it without breaking, even though there was a few issues with high ambient temps (over 100 degrees F). I don't think I would do it again any time soon but if you love your Ferrari...DRIVE IT.

17. Titanboy_24

Titanboy_24 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas Scarfone
    Glen, that must have been a trip of a lifetime. You should be a role model for every Ferrari owner!

18. Jim1957

Jim1957 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2004
    Edmonton, Canada
    Full Name:
    James Morrison
    Well done! Thanks for posting the fantastic photos of your Ferrari adventure - hope you can join us in Edmonton on one of our outings and tell us all your stories.

19. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Quite sincerely, you are my hero. Thanks for posting all the pics, I've been watching this thread with interest

20. CurtEgerer

CurtEgerer Rookie

Aug 7, 2005
    Michigan
    One doesn't often hear about epic rides of this magnitude in a Ferrari! What a great trip. Heck, many F-cars don't see that kind of mileage in 20 years - it's really a shame. Drive 'em - don't save 'em for the next guy! :D

21. Tifosi66

Tifosi66 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2004
    Jiang Jia Jie
    Full Name:
    Li-Ge
    Great thread ! Thanks for sharing the pics.

22. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Wonderful!

What a great trip, I'm quite jealous. I'll be hitting Ontario at the end of the month to visit family... your pics are giving me ideas about future vacations.

Bravo!

23. lung7707

lung7707 F1 World Champ

Jan 13, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Rupert 9.0
    What a wonderful trip... makes me want to go out and buy a 328.
    Congratulations!

24. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
  25. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    I am kicking myself because I JUST discovered this thread. What can I say but "what a trip" And, you had the stones to do it in a 328. Way to go!!!!!