328's around Tampa Bay | FerrariChat

328's around Tampa Bay

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Tampa328, Jun 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tampa328

Tampa328 Karting

May 10, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Randy Stribling
    Any 328's out there in the Tampa Bay area? I have only had mine a month and am still trying to figure out the owner's manual. I went driving last night with the top off and almost cooked without the a/c on. The book must have been written in another country!! :)

2. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    When your top is off you don't want to run the AC. That will destroy the AC compressor eventually sine it will go full blast all the time.

The AC are the little control knobs on your center console. On the 328 I think they are already intigrated with the fan unit. I believe it is the upper left botton that has to be turned to full on. Your fan control units have to be on. The temperature slider has to be down to cool (blue). If nothing works your AC is not working :) and if is blows a little cold air, you are experiencing the pleasure of a 328 AC.

As I always say, the 348 has a much better one. If you want AC you need a 348 :)

3. TheCarcierge

TheCarcierge Formula 3

Feb 1, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott Saidel
    Four words that I never thought I'd hear.

Scottie

4. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Has anyone ever put a 348 unit in a 308/328?

What about those AC's they sell for older cars as a bolt-on in the back of the Classic and Hot Rodder magazines?

I saw one guy add extra insulation to his 308 to keep the cold air in and deal with the FL heat. Will there ever be a good answer for the 308/328 weak AC? If you want the top off and the cold AC blowing ?

PS Hi Martin, Saw your photos of your new show-room, looks Great!

5. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    REALLY?!?!?!?! Hmmmm????? Maybe that is why my 328 is in the shop right now getting a new A/C compressor and clutch.... The problem i found with the 328 and the top off is that all the HOT air pushed out of the radiator, up the hood and over the windshield then comes right into the interior and cooks you, if its a sunny hot day out and you are stuck in traffic, be prepared to be creamated alive!!!!

Interesting.... I guess you can't win????

6. Tampa328

Tampa328 Karting

May 10, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Randy Stribling
    Well, looking at the book and reading between the lines it seems that maybe I should turn on switches 1 and 4 making the dotted lines light up and turn on knobs 7 and 8 for the vent fans. This is without the A/C running.
    That should at least pick up air flow when the car is running right?

7. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Mark you should come out more often. How about meeting up at Scotti. You'd like him.
    How about a Karting session???

8. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Randy,
    in the present FL heat that we have I don't think ther eis ANY fix at any car. Man my Hummer was getting hot with the AC running today and that thing has virtually 90degree windows, so no window heating.
    My advise would be to keep the top on while it is hot and sunny as it is right now.

using silver AC tape to insulate some more may not be the answer. That blue tape looks bad as it is!
    :)

9. Debbie

Debbie Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Debbie
    It has been my observation that AC in Ferrari's did not become adequate until the Mondial and/or TR came out. The coldest I ever got in our 308 was when we would go around a corner and cold water would pour out on my feet when I was a passenger! I did have the pleasure of riding in one 308 that seemed to have decent AC. If you don't let the heat get ahead of you then you may be alright. What I mean by that is don't leave the car outside and allow the interior to heat up, like in a parking lot. Keeping the car in the garage or in the shade before you go for your drive is best. You may want to try using one of those windshield shields if you have to leave your car in the sun. The 308 has a lot of glass and that provides a nice greenhouse effect for interior heat buildup. If the car's interior is hot there is no way it can cool you off and then maintain a cool interior. Like Martin said, never expect the AC to cool you with the top off, as it does all it can with the top on. Another hint is to run your AC everytime you drive your car, even in the winter. I do this with our Dino to keep the seals from drying out which prevents the loss of freon. Hang in there and try to keep cool. :)

10. yesod

yesod Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Lakeland,fl
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I will have to keep my eye out for you driving around. I live in Palm Harbor and go to Tampa twice a week. I don't think I have seen any 328's around here. What part of the bay are you at?

11. Tampa328

Tampa328 Karting

May 10, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Randy Stribling
    Actually I am pleased with the 328 A/C when we are out for a ride or to a restaurant. I was hoping though that in the evening after the sun was down it would cool down enough to run with the a/c off and the top off. Maybe I should ship it to Maine during the Summer Time.

12. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark

Thanks Martin, I miss you guys.

I'm setting up a branch of my business in NY/NJ and I've been up here for the last 5 months getting things going.

Can't wait to get done with this and get back to my home base in FL and have some fun again.

PS... I never thought I'd see Martin with a boat. What's next? aircraft? :)

13. Tampa328

Tampa328 Karting

May 10, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Randy Stribling
    It was great to take the car out for an evening dinner and ride last night. First evening in a week without rain!! I can't wait until the temperature moderates a little so I can enjoy the top off and not cook. I guess the A/C will have to do for now. It would be nice to see another Fcar occasionally on the road. I suppose no one likes to drive their cars like I do.

Regards, Randy

14. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    I wish I had rain for a change. I have the sprinklers going since April.
    damn east winds pushing it all your way :(