330 Felber | Page 2 | FerrariChat

330 Felber

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by michael platzer, Nov 5, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I didn't mean to trash it. I kind of like it. It has a Lotus 7 influence as well as the Allard look.

2. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    So we're now removing all discussion of Ferraris altered in-period too? What exactly is this a replica or reproduction of? Does this mean we now need to strip the vintage section of every thread relating information about chassis that were bodied by Zagato, Fantuzzi, Thomassima, et al? Or just ones that aren't pretty?

I'd never heard about this car until this evening and I, for one, appreciate the opportunity to learn about it. Odd as it may look.

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Darren should buy it and use the chassis and mechanicals for this project: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=387338

Would thus end up with the first independent rear 330GT 2+2, I believe.

thecheddar, while I understand what you are saying, nothing good was done to old Ferraris in the 1980's. It was all about making more $'s from the eventual sale.
    Pete

4. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    correct! engine number is 9879.

i am happy that the thread is leading to controversial discussion.
    thats what the car is. love it or hate it - i am not sure what i do.
    the car was real fun to drive but i would take an original 330 GTC if i had the choice.
    the car is no replica and not trying to be anything it aint. so the thread belongs here and not in the replica-subforum.
    its not a beauty but its a car you will remember once you had the chance to see and drive it.

5. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    The subforum that was created by popular demand is for "Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies."

6. michael platzer

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    so the question remains - how do we define "period" and would a re-rebody to 330 GTC the car put back into the vintage forum?

i read the rules of the sub-forum but they dont really give an answer.

Ferrari Classiche would not certify the car - but is it a "modern" rebody?

Who knows (and who cares)? the car is well known and is what it is, like it or not.

7. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Is the body made from fiberglass or metal?

8. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I thnk Felber did a beach buggy on a 330GTC.

And maybe even a station wagon (sometimes called estate wagons or shooting brakes)

If he did, is that car and the one you show (which looks like a Lotus Super 7 to me) still hav the wheelbase Ferrari chassis? Are they considerably lower priced (if for sale) than a 330GTC?

I am only curious because I would like to think of these as "barn finds' except that probably to bring any of them back to 330GTC status would cost more than they would be worth

9. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    Hi Smiles, the body is hand wheeled alloy, I remember painting two of these cars when I worked for Bob Jankel, we painted one red and the other purple; I remember one had an alloy hard top made for it which didn't fit very well also we did a station wagon / estate car ........... I recall we worked several all nighters to get them done on time, I do not remember complete cars being broken for parts, Panther chassis were built by Jeff Jago in Chichester and I think we were presented with a rolling chassis ready for re-bodying ......... maybe someone else has better recollections ???? we thought they looked great at the time, it was a job and we had bills to pay ......... happy days' Kev.

10. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Felber beach car on 365 GTC/4 s/n 16017:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Two Felber "shooting brakes," one on 365 GTC/4 (black and white), one on 365 GT4 2+2 s/n 18255 (blue):

More:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=140379978&postcount=10

11. michael platzer

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    alloy!

12. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Thanks for the post, Kev. It's amazing to me that a lot of craftsmanship went into something so unattractive.

So... period rebody of a Ferrari, and it should stay here.

It does look like an oversized Lotus Seven Series 4.

Matt

Nembo1777 likes this.
  13. vectorfiles

vectorfiles Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2004

Does anyone know how many Felber Ferrari/Panther FF cars were built on a Ferrari chassis and how many were made on Jago/Panther chassis?